National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was a good range day. I invited the wife out to shoot. She initially turned it down but by the time I got all 11 unpacked, she pulled up ready to shoot.

I brought out two .45 Colts, two 357 magnums, three 22s, 3-45 1911s (was wearing one on my hip) and one 380 1911

My trigger finger is actually sore. I don’t know how much ammo we actually went through but it was several hundred to 1000rds.

Got some time to work on my point and shoot and two handed shooting. Still need work on both.

Point and shoot, I’m going right over the right and left shoulders about 1/3 of the time. Either side of the neck. The other 2/3’s, I’m hitting center mass. Granted, I’m switching up 3 calibers and between Bisleys and plow grips. worked on both stationary and moving toward the target. I’m not terribly concerned about the 1/3 missed shots because I’m drawing from 17 and 20 yards. At 10 yards, those are shoulder shots.

Two handed shooting, my left needs a bit more range time. I started oufine but after a couple cylinders, it started getting wobbly and a bit wild, pulling one side our the other.

I fresh painted the targets so I could figure out where that S&W 1911 was going. I’ve done this before but I’ve slept since then. All shots were 2-3” left so I’ll need to drift the sight a little.

The 380, I really want to like this gun but it hasn’t happened yet. If I focus, it’s accurate but the trigger is still a bit heavy so it’s a bit wild at 17-20 yards. I also noticed that I shoot it better using the pad in the middle of the finger instead of the end of the finger. Frame is too small to positively engage the grip safety and use the the proper trigger finger positioning.

Other issue with that Baby Rock is the magazine really, really sucks. Sometimes, I can only get 3rds in it, others, I can get 8rds in it. If I use my mag loader, the follower gets jammed, no matter how many rounds I load. When using only my fingers to load, the second or 3rd rd doesn’t feed. This started happening today. It wasn’t as an issue the last few day. There was one instance where I could only load 1rd in the mag and the follower got jammed.

Wife shot my 45 ACP 1911s today. She did really well but complained it hurt her hand a little from the recoil. Those may have been some of my spicier rds. I’m not sure. Regardless, she did excellent at 17 yards.

The little .22 Uberti Stallion I bought a little while back is an excellent little shooter. If it weren’t for the heavy hammer pull, it would have been my favorite of the day. Still awaiting the .22 magnum cylinder that Taylor’s still owes me.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sure exactly how much brass I recovered but somewhere between 500-600 give or take. More than 40-50% of the 380 and 10-20% of the 45 ACP brass is lost in the grass. Sent my son out to mow the range and he mowed it to the height of the rest of the yard instead of dropping the deck down like he was supposed to. Guess the mower will find it later. Fortunately, I didn’t have to search for revolver brass.

This is what’s left of a 525rd box of Federal .22lr. So probably close to 400rds of it gone.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wasn’t too bad, however, 1000rds through semi automatics and 1000 rds when the vast majority are through revolvers are a fair bit of a different experience. I wasn’t kidding when I said my fingers were sore. Wife was done after an hour or so. She shot everything but the 380 and the 45 Colts. I warned her, those were spicy. If I remember correctly, 250gr @ 1000fps. My oldest came out and shot with me for a bit. By the end, I was just like screw the hard to find brass. I could use a couch and a nap, 😂

·
Premium Member
7,523 Posts
When I remember to do it, I lay out a tarp or painting canvas to the shooters right and catch about 99% of the brass. If it’s breezy I’ll pin down the corners.
Sounds like it was a great day!

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I remember to do it, I lay out a tarp or painting canvas to the shooters right and catch about 99% of the brass. If it’s breezy I’ll pin down the corners.
Sounds like it was a great day!
If he cuts it like he’s supposed to, the grass is only 1/2” tall. It’s really easy to see the brass.

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun! I had plans to go today with my shooting buddy but yesterday afternoon i was asked to work hauling from a big roofing job so i elt him know and we cancelled. They were going to start at 3am and requested to have several trucks there by 5am hauling. Went in at 3:30, got there by 4:30 and they only had 1 can ready. I swapped it out an the next two guys got there 30 minutes later only to be told they won't have anymore for at least 2 hours. Our dispatcher told us to call it a day being we can't wait around for hours. Was done by 6am but too early to call my shooting buddy to change plans again as he works nights. Maybe next weekend.....

Reactions: Philmo11
1 - 7 of 7 Posts