National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my GF likes her single action 22 mag for a camp/trail gun. We've been together for about a year and a half and half and just moved in together (we're both in our late 40's). In the house we have a CZ-75 locked and loaded in the head board (no kids still at home). When we go camping, she likes to do the deep trail stuff and likes to shoot as do I. We shoot her gun (Ruger single six 22lr/22mag) and mine Ruger single ten 22lr. We also bring my Remington RM380 pocket gun for self defense.

Long story short, my GF is far more accurate with the single action 22 mag than the DA only micro 380 and has suggested that we just bring the 22 revolvers. Bringing 3 guns is a pain on the trails, which is why I bring the little micro 380 instead of my 9mm or 45acp in the first place.

Is a 22 mag SA revolver enough? We're not in bear country, and from what I've seen, it not far behind my little 380 as far as stopping power. I did some practicing with her single six with the 22 mag cylinder and am pretty shocked how fast I can put a few rounds on target (dinner plate size group) at 20 feet. Am I crazy for just using this as our tent gun in western Oregon?

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
Any gun is better than no gun. Single actions have a flaw that you are aware of and that flaw is it’s a bit slower on the follow up shots. .22’s are a small caliber but have killed more deer and any other. It’s been called the assassin’s gun because it’s able to be concealed in so many small places and easily quieted down if needed. Stopping power is minimal but it will penetrate a class 3 vest. Sky marshals used to carry them. Perhaps they still do.
A Cocker Spaniel is not a Pit bull but still a better watch dog than a cat. In short, it’s better to hit an attacker between the eyes with a .22 than put .45 rounds in the floor and ceiling. Sometimes it’s just the fact that you’ve got a gun of any size to end a bad situation. If you’re a attacker, that.22 bore is going to look like a cannon pointed at your nose.

·
Super Moderator
12,877 Posts
^^^ What he said.

--Wag--

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I sometimes carry a .22mag pistol. Single action. A .22 mag SA you can use accurately is better than any other pistol or caliber that you can not.

Even though not optimal, something is almost always better than nothing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,097 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
I concur with everyone else. One well place shot is better than a mag full of flesh wounds.

I'm running out of reasons NOT to buy this...

Alan
Buy it. I put the 12 shot .22 on layaway a while back to pair with my Buntline Wyatt Earp, then realized the short stroke 45 was an option so I canceled the .22 and plan on the .45 at some point.

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
Shooting a SA fast and accurate is not the problem, reloading might be if needed though. Most self defense uses rarely require it though...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ruger single six with 22wmr cylinder has been my camping and fishing companion for many years. never felt under gunned.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Recently, Chicago Police Officer Ella French, became a fallen officer.
.22 caliber pistol is what the perpetrator is alleged to have used.
Her partner, Officer Carlos Yanez Jr., is still attempting a recovery.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Agree with all the above posts but my problem is I am a large caliber junkie. I have a problem, I admit it.
Sure 3 well placed .22's are better than 5 in the floor.
But 3 well placed .45, .357 magnum or .44 magnum ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this one is perfect for a single shot!!
Choose what you had, don't focus on other
I love my single 10, and she loves her single 6. Between the two of them, I like the single 6 with the magnum cylinder for the tent gun. Watched some videos last night of the 22WMR out of a 6.5" barrel. I was pretty shocked at how well it performed. With the gold dots, it arguably performed equal to a 380acp out of a short barrel. Obviously the 380 is better for follow up shots, but the single six is far more accurate with it's 6.5" barrel. I think I just didn't realize how much power the 22wmr brings to the table in a standard sized revolver. I've never noticed much of a difference in 22lr and 22wmr in my NAA mini with it's tiny barrel shooting cans and water jugs.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
Agree with all the above posts but my problem is I am a large caliber junkie. I have a problem, I admit it.
Sure 3 well placed .22's are better than 5 in the floor.
But 3 well placed .45, .357 magnum or .44 magnum ?
My wife can shoot my 45 but, does she shoot it well? I think she’d do better with her eyes open. Point is, not everyone is prepared for that. It doesn’t help if the shooter is almost as afraid of the gun as the attacker.

A couple years ago, my oldest boy declined to shoot my 5.56 because the boom scared him. That same kid two years later, his favorite gun is my 44 Super Blackhawk Buntline Bisley. Exposure and opportunity to advance can improve a shooters confidence and skillset to get them to that place but not everyone is ready to take that on.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Follow up shots with an SA revolver can be incredibly fast using the proper technique and I'm not talking about fanning the hammer. The only shortcoming of an SA revolver in a self defense role is the slow reload of SAA style revolvers.

·
Live Free
3,643 Posts
I have always been quite comfortable with a SA revolver in the woods. Single six is a great little revolver, accurate.

·
Super Moderator
15,097 Posts
For a lot of years I carried a Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag. doing ranch work or hunting. I am comfortable with a single action. I have some Uberti 1873s and a Cimarron 1873, all in 45 Colt with the 45 ACP cylinders. I feel more comfortable with them. With all our Immigration problems I now use a Glock 17 and with it an extra mag. By and large the illegals are harmless, but there's another element mixed in with them. The Glock gives me a lot more noise than the revolver. For EDC in town, the revolver is just fine. Anything that gets shot with a 45 Colt is going to stay shot. That's why I'm considering the CMS Pro. For so long the muscle memory of drawing the pistol and cocking it has been what if do, I find myself doing that with DA revolvers and semi-autos. The 1873 has more bulk in the cylinder area than compact revolvers or pistols but I suppose it has its place.

Alan

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
76 Posts
Practice slingshoting. It is how cowboy action shooters shoot. Hold the trigger firmly after first shot and just fire with the hammer. Not that hard with practice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So my GF likes her single action 22 mag for a camp/trail gun. We've been together for about a year and a half and half and just moved in together (we're both in our late 40's). In the house we have a CZ-75 locked and loaded in the head board (no kids still at home). When we go camping, she likes to do the deep trail stuff and likes to shoot as do I. We shoot her gun (Ruger single six 22lr/22mag) and mine Ruger single ten 22lr. We also bring my Remington RM380 pocket gun for self defense.

Long story short, my GF is far more accurate with the single action 22 mag than the DA only micro 380 and has suggested that we just bring the 22 revolvers. Bringing 3 guns is a pain on the trails, which is why I bring the little micro 380 instead of my 9mm or 45acp in the first place.

Is a 22 mag SA revolver enough? We're not in bear country, and from what I've seen, it not far behind my little 380 as far as stopping power. I did some practicing with her single six with the 22 mag cylinder and am pretty shocked how fast I can put a few rounds on target (dinner plate size group) at 20 feet. Am I crazy for just using this as our tent gun in western Oregon?
Trot on over to www.luckygunner.com and examine the ballistic gelatin tests of the .22 magnum fired from handgun length barrels. I think you will feel extremely well-equipped when carrying one! Also, placement, and penetration are the two most important criteria with any caliber. Those of us who grew up on farms way back in the '60s and '70s used .22LR handguns and rifles to dispatch pretty much everything because with the right hit, even a deer comes down.
Revolvers are generally more accurate than autos and SA versions more so because each shot is a single-action trigger, and if the shooter uses the off-hand thumb to do the cocking, extremely accurate and FAST shooting can be done...faster than shooting a DA revolver using trigger cocking even.
The .22 magnum is more powerful than the .380, with better sights, longer sight radius, far, FAR superior trigger, and sends a 40 grain bullet screaming out of a 5" barrel at over 1,400 fps in many loadings. I would (and have) put my money on the .22 magnum over any .380 in the field.
You're carrying the .380 as a backup in case of human encounters but outside of the movies, most human encounters in the field don't involve ANY shots fired, and when they are, it's usually one or two, not 500. The way to build confidence in the SA for defensive use is to set out a series of water jugs at 10, 15, 20 feet, and practice quickly bringing the gun up close enough to near eye level to pick up the barrel as you "point" it like a finger at the nearest jug - cocking as you come up, and fire. With very little practice you will quickly realize that single-action revolvers are the most naturally pointing handguns, and combined with the SA trigger, superbly accurate. "Back in the day" of the cap & ball revolvers, shooting was considered a single-handed endeavor since you might be holding a knife or sword in the other - often shooting with the off-hand, and shooters of that era shot by "pointing" the barrel...just like pointing a shotgun. Inside 20 feet it doesn't take long at all to become confident that you can quickly place a round into a head or chest before anyone realizes you moved!

Having said all that, I will say this: In this day and age where persons of no moral compass can be found lurking anywhere - even and especially in forests, on trails and in the backwoods, it's wise to carry a proper, combat-capable "backup" just in case, and that isn't a .380. For most, the ideal back up will be something along the lines of a Glock 19 with a +2 extension and two or three spare 30 round mags. A better choice would be the same Glock fitted with .22 TCM9R barrel and loaded with 39 grain JHPs pushing around 1,900 fps. The reason is because the entire round weighs less than a single 9mm bullet, recoil is 1/3rd of the 9mm, feed reliability is superior due to the bottleneck design, and the JHP bullet will punch through thicker steel than 9mm ball, AND defeat TL3A Kevlar...and even inexpensive UHMWPE plates inserted into plate carriers. The round is also flat shooting and can shoot dead on out to 125 yards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts