National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I would like to know if there is any one here who has any experience with the foreign legion.

The reason i have thoughts about going there is cause i have a bit of a math problem in school.
Im a great student in all other subjects but in math its just not working out. But i am currently working my ass of to make it. But if i wouldnt graduate with a grade in math i cant join the Swedish army. And my dream is of being in the army, cause i think it suits me better than anything.

And pleas no motivational stuff, just want to hear what people has to say. I read books about them and so on, and its not an easy job in the legion, but thats what i wanna do i cant succeed in Sweden.

So if you feel like sharing, please do to help young man :)

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,066 Posts
An educated 'military man' will go further and experience more success than a non-educated 'military man'.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes of course, but I guess if you join them and you don't have a very good education, you still get to go through training and go and in war conflicts

·
55,066 Posts
I was a soldier. I was good at war and was rewarded well for my abilities. I enjoyed war because I was good at it. It wasn't fun. It wasn't glorious. It was filthy. It was bloody. It smelled bad. I received several high medals. I lost a leg, an eye and some brain function. I would not volunteer to do it again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ****... If I may ask, which war were you in?
Pardon my language but that is some serious stuff

Well I'm not in it to gain glory or so, I think the job suits me cause I have always been the kind of person who likes hard training and discipline and thing out of the ordinary. No job I see out in the civil life I think I woul enjoy :(
And I don't understand war and it's horrors but I feel I could do it if I was forced to. I might regret afterwards I can't say for sure.. But I know I wanna try it out

·
USMC 0331
15 Posts
As much as people give Marines for being dumb grunts, Math is very involved in the infantry. Your long and lats, range est. Thats mainly why I never fired the MRK-19 in Iraq. Getting your rage right to fire down a road if your at a 45 degree angle...you see where I am going with this. Math is very crucial to pretty much any MOS in the military.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes ive heard... But there must be something I can do in a assault squad or something right? :(

I mean I'm not retarde when it comes to math I know basics and maybe a bit note when it comes to some certain aspect. But I mean I probably would never get to be a sniper.
My dream goal is to finish school and enter officer "school" and exam. And then Id try to join SOG. Swedish Delta or seals.

·
55,066 Posts
I spent two tours in VietNam.

It takes a four year college degree to be accepted into 'Officer School'.

It seems to me that your best bet is to knuckle down and hit your schoolbooks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In Sweden it takes a 3 year degree and I'm almost done with my first. so I guess If I keep hitting me
School books I will make it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why would anyone other than those lost in "hell" would you ever even consider the "French Foreign Legion" of which there are no FRENCH! It is a band of outlaws that fight for any side that pays them the most!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well if I feel that it's my only option, I'll do it

·
Registered
954 Posts
First speak French. It's the only language spoken in the legion.
Be in top physical shape to even get into training.
Legion officers are NOT promoted from within the ranks.

It's a 5 year enlistment.
At discharge you have the option of getting your orginal passport and name back or, a new french passport in any name you want.
You are a citizen of france.

They are VERY selective.
I know 2 special operations types that wanted to join. One got in the other didn't.

But you have to love a unit that has it's own chefs.

If this is what you want good luck.

AFS

·
Gunbiddler.com
19 Posts
Honestly, for basic infantry, math isn't really that big of a deal. Most fighting nowadays occurs at close quarters, clearing buildings and such. Machine Gunners and Snipers need enhanced math skills to calculate mils. I've worked extensively with both small arms and heavy machine guns. The only time I've ever needed to use math was to make range cards in fixed firing positions for the M-2 .50 cal or as a Designated Marksman with an M-14. On the other note, I've never worked with the Foreign Legion but some close friends of mine have. They enjoyed the experience. I'll talk to them so I can transfer their experiences here. I know they were based with them in Djibouti Africa and did some joint training exercises.

·
Gunbiddler.com
19 Posts
Ok, so I talked to a couple Marines I know who have trained with the Foreign Legion. They told me this. The Foreign Legion pride themselves on land navigation, which requires a basic ability to do math. Land nav's not hard though. They also excel at the basics of infantry, which in itself can be more effective than complex maneuvers. They are also apparently in great shape! They run endlessly. My friend said it was a great experience because they are an excellent combat unit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you man! Appreciate the information :)

But to be honest I gave the the legion up.. Heard to sick things from people who worked with them.. So I'm just fighting for my math tests right now so I'll be able to join Swedish armed forces instead, where I can make a quite good career.

·
It's Just My 2¢
5,118 Posts
...... So I'm just fighting for my math tests right now......
Fight hard for math skills. Those skills will reward you over your entire life in ways you can't imagine now. Not only does it solve immediate problems (arithmetic) but it trains your brain to deal with things in a way that is hard to explain (for me). I once took a logic class in college thinking it would teach me how to think like Mr Spock. I was disappointed to find out that logic is math.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I was a soldier. I was good at war and was rewarded well for my abilities. I enjoyed war because I was good at it. It wasn't fun. It wasn't glorious. It was filthy. It was bloody. It smelled bad. I received several high medals. I lost a leg, an eye and some brain function. I would not volunteer to do it again.
Thank you to you and all the other men and service women that gave so much for our country. I truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are a lot of crazy rules new recruits to the French Foreign Legion must abide by as well. If you're just a kid it's one thing, but for a grown man used to a little bit of freedom following indoctrination and training, it would be a shocker. No ownership of vehicles, no marriage, etc. for a good length of time. A few years if I remember right.

They have a website that will give you all the info you'd ever want as a new recruit.... and the guy earlier was correct.... learn some French. Although you don't necessarily need to be fluent, all orders are given in French. The saving grace is that they will pair you with a French speaking "battle buddy" initially, until you can pick up on the language well enough to follow orders without getting confused... but having a decent working knowledge would certainly be a good idea before you make the leap if you want to do well.

Promotions are also very slow as compared to the United States Army at least, even the British Army.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts