National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Y'know, I don't, but I should. But last time I shot my Kel Tec and S&W CS45, there was a cold, stiff wind in my face. It had about the same effect, 'cept I don't usually tear up just taking off my specs!That dang wind put horizontal tears across my face and head!!!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I went out and purchased the Merit Optical devices and glued them to my shooting glasses. They have an adjustable appriture that you can swing down into your sight picture and adjust so that your eye will focus better. It allows you to see the sights and the target where you cannot with either glasses or no glasses.

Works if you have to wear reading glasses and can see distance without glasses.

http://www.meritcorporation.com/

·
Registered
677 Posts
I shoot the same way I am all the time....... tri-focals. I figure that I can successfully hunt with iron sights, or a K 2.5X Weaver, target shoot with peep sights, or scopes, and I don't have much problems with the handguns. I'm ok for now...... :cool:

·
Banned
2 Posts
Brining this discussing back to the forefront

I'm wondering how everyone's vision concerns have resolved. I'm a seasoned shooter with bad eyesight myself, and have a few tips of people are still interested. I would love to hear more about the solutions other older shooters have found!

-Steve

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I can still see open sights fairly good on my pistols if I shoot with both eyes open.Most all of my rifles that are iron sighted have peeps ,though some of the smaller aperatures are getting hard to focus the front sight in. I have to take my glasses off to shoot a scope ,for some reason I cannot get the dang things to focus right. Being near sighted is no problem for the way I shoot ,my main focus is the sights ,the target is usually blurry.

·
Super Moderator
14,878 Posts
When wing shooting, I take my glasses off. The practiced instinctual shooting of my youth is stronger than my ability to see a duck or a dove. All else I keep the glasses on. I used to take my glasses off when shooting a scope but finally readjusted al my scopes for my glasses. Seemed to add about a "power" to my magnification too. I haven't learned to use my binoculars with my glasses though. I still have to take them off to look through the binoculars and then put them back on to see through the scope.

Alan

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
I'm severely near sighted, but for some reason I am good with open sights on the rifle if I have time to find the blur in the distance. I would never shoot anywhere but the range without my glasses, I have to know what I'm shooting at for sure. At SD range, I have no problem. Obviously I'm not as old as Baldy, I only wear bifocals.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I experienced the same kinds of things a few years back. When looking down my sights, it started to become more and more difficult to focus on my target at the same time. After talking to my doctor I realized this is caused by a very common condition called presbyopia. I wanted to continue enjoying my sport, but I needed to find the right glasses.

I work for a company called TruFocals who produce glasses for shooters who's vision could use some help at the range. They are biomimetic, adjustable-focus glasses, which means that you only need 1 pair of glasses for everything, on and off the range. You can see both the front sight post and the target clearly when you adjust them to your "sweet spot" (without having to readjust all your scopes for your glasses, Alan). And unlike other progressive glasses or bifocals, you can still focus with Trufocals when in a prone position rather than struggling to focus over the top of the frame.

Check them out for yourself. We have a Shooter's Challenge where you can try them out while shooting, risk free.

Give me a holler if you have any questions

-Steve

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Talk about resurrection a blast from the past. Still good a good discussion. You don't need to go to a special place. My optometrist made the lenses for all three of my glasses (regular, sun and shooting) that take in account my shooting. You just need to talk with the optometrist, explain what you need and they can do what you want, even on trifocals.

And Steve, not to be a hard ass, you sound like you have two posts and are hawking your product. That is a no-no in these parts. Supportthe people that own this place, buy a banner ad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts