National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, took my M4 out shooting today. I was trying to sight the gun in at 50 yards and was having a bit of trouble. I finally towards the end started getting it in the 10 ring, but I was running out of time/ammo (I was shooting some pistols and SGs as well).

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on sighting that puppy in with iron sights. The rear has both elevation and windage adjustments. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I do not have an AR but I have shot them, on the ARs I have shot the Front Sight Post has a course Elevation Adjustment by screwing or unscrewing the Front Post while the Real Sight Elevation is for Fine adjustments, and the Windage is just normal Windage adjustments. I forget how many clicks is what change though.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Mechanically set your sights or what is sometimes called dry setting. Set the windage dead center, make sure that your elevation knob is set to 8/3 (AR15 rifle( or 6/3 (M4 carbine).

set your target at 50 yards (there is a battle sight zero at 25 yards, but that may just confuse everyone).

FROM A STEADY REST, fire three rounds at the center of the target. Not to be a smart ***, but if your group is large than an inch, you better practice on getting tight groups because it is hard to determine your elevation if the target looks like it was hit by a shotgun. Raise the front post to lower the impact points, lower the post to raise them.

Now that you got the elevation established. Move your windage dial to correct for left or right. Depending on your make and model, yes there is a difference, each click will be 1/4" inch 1/2" per clicks at 100 yards. At 50 yards, it will be half that amount. Check your owners manual for the setting per click. So if your next three round group is 1/2" to the left, you will need move the dial the proper number of clicks to the right to correct for this. Look at the windage dial, it should say left or right.

Just a some things to keep in mind.

First, ammo will have an influence of how your groups and as such how your shot placement will behave. I suggest you get some good ammo for sighting in. Don't use cheap stuff. That is fine for plinking or fending off hordes of marauding zombies, but to sight in, use the best you can.

Second, unless you have a match barrel, the carbine was designed to hit a 6" circle at 400 meters. That is more than 1" at 100 yards. If yours does better, great!

Third, if your windage looks way out of whack, say three or four clicks to one side or another, that is fine. It is normal. Do not start beating on the front sight. It will not do anything and you will ding up your gun.

Fourth, sight in form a steady rest, sand bags or similar. No off hand. You want that barrel rock solid. Prone is OK, but sand bags are better.

Lastly, if your windage is really way off, say you bury the windage settings and still hit wrong, the carbine needs to have the barrel re-indexed. If that is the case, send it back to the maker if new. Or take it to a good gunsmith if not under warranty. Don't let your buddy's cousin Ralph do it unless he has a proved track record.

That is it really.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,672 Posts
That is a very good and informative post.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dogsoldier do you adjust the front post or just the rear ?

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Dogsoldier, thank you very much for that tutorial. I need to get a nice set of binoculars so I can try it out at 50 yards. :D

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Dogsoldier do you adjust the front post or just the rear ?

Both.

Elevation (up and down) front post

Windage (left and right) rear sight.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Zero it out, then get your BZO. Do this at 36 yards. You can adjust for range from there.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a special tool used to rotate the front site (A1)? It is hard to rotate, and it's kind of tight with the 2 posts surrounding it. Is there a special tool used to rotate it?

Reactions: C-D-P

·
Registered
3,633 Posts

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Yesd, there is a special tool. It is called the tip of the bullet. You use the point of the bullet to push down the little locking stud, then kind of wedge the post in the direction you want.

There are special made tools that do this job that require a little less dexterity.

Go here: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=260328

or here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=304696
I just carry a 16 penny nail when I am on the range. But once you get your true zero he should never have to touch that front sight post again. Until he goes to rezero it.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I just carry a 16 penny nail when I am on the range. But once you get your true zero he should never have to touch that front sight post again. Until he goes to rezero it.

He will if he changes bullet weights, the 55 grain to 62 grain will be no big deal. But if he wants to get into match shooting and starts diddling with reloads and bullet weights, his zero will change.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
He will if he changes bullet weights, the 55 grain to 62 grain will be no big deal. But if he wants to get into match shooting and starts diddling with reloads and bullet weights, his zero will change.
Hence the last part of my post. I just didnt want to throw out too much information for him. but thanks man, I should have mentioned this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts