National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the older daughter and i went to the range to sight in......her old ruger rsi in 250-3000 savage and me with my marlin 30-30;

i changed her scope out to an old Swift 6x that was never used till now. Her load of choice was hornady 100gr.

for my marlin i put on an old gibson 4x32 scope......ancient thing with a post reticle with a fine cross hair. Core-lokt 170 gr.

this was strictly ******* sighting in as the gravel pit we got to use had no bench,,,,,so we improvised by blading the pickup and shooting off the top corner above the brake light as the improvised rifle rest.....i have seen some pickup hoods creased by others before.... :oops:.

anyways.....we set up targets at 100 long paces...this year decided to just go dead-on at 100...She did well as she always does with that old 250.....such a gentle gun on the shoulder with plenty of pop for a whitetail and that old rifle has a decent trigger...her group was ballpark 1.5" and i thought that outstanding with our improvised rest.....but she has always been a good shot.

me?......i got a 3" group with that marlin and dang proud to be able to get that. i could do better off a comfortable seated bench with bags and could definately do better if i went to a duplex reticle instead of that post.....but then again, there are no benches in the field when hunting....just improvised rests like what we were doing.......

felt good to get out there with her. She has offered to take me deer hunting for a change as she has a place she can hunt on south of town.......its great to be the mail carrier and get invites!!!!

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
You have ammo?
I am digging a pit trap and sharpening sticks this year.

Reactions: Square target

·
Premium Member
6,680 Posts
You have ammo?
I am digging a pit trap and sharpening sticks this year.
That’s funny. In Jersey we just use our car or truck as a 4000lb shopping cart.
those groups will definitely hit the boiler room of a whitetail.

·
Super Moderator
14,529 Posts
The best times of my life was doing just what you did with my boys. Every year we'd head down to the caliche pit and sight in the rifles. A well sighted rifle is no match for "Buck Fever" though!

I'm of the belief that the 30-30 is just about THE rifle for deer hunting. My dad liked a flat top post reticle for hunting. You can see the post in low light or shooting into the sun. There are applications (long range) where it is less than perfect but most deer are not killed at long ranges anyway.

The only problem with 250-3000 Savage is that you'd better not forget your ammo. They likely don't have it at the Texaco station in the middle of nowhere.

In South Texas brush country where hunting is done from blinds on roads or senderos, it's had to beat the 25-06 with 100 gr bullets. The 250-3000 is just a 25-06 in a smaller package.

Glad you had a good day with your daughter at the range.

Alan

Reactions: Caper

·
AZHerper
4,110 Posts
Your post made me think of my Remington 700 in 22-250. That is based on the 250-3000 Savage case necked to 0.224". I think that I loaded 55 grain bullets to about 3,850 fps. The gun was a real tack-driver. I used to use 50-ft indoor smallbore targets for sighting-in at 100 yards. Less than MOA groups were fairly easy. Was a great gun! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts