National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have a 22 rifle/carbine that I shoot at least twice a week in my basement, great to keep the trigger finger from rusting :lol:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good point, I'm a big pellet gun fan and they are a great way to shoot cheap and hone your skills. They are actually harder to shoot accurately than PB's.

·
Aim true !
11,305 Posts
Air guns are great for indoor practice. Kobs your as bad as me lol. I sometimes shoot my 22 in the cellar and if i can't wait ill test a new gun for feed. At a 10x10 black of wood.

Reactions: Kobs and Nod

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made myself another quick pellet/bullet trap I'll post a pic when I can

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
375 Posts
Air guns are great for indoor practice. Kobs your as bad as me lol. I sometimes shoot my 22 in the cellar and if i can't wait ill test a new gun for feed. At a 10x10 black of wood.
10 x 10 ? I use a 1/2" pipe 10" long with an end cap laid on end @ 60 ' and just stack each shot until the pipe is full. just kidding !

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pics, it's like a funnel and the 4X4 wall is behind when they get too full I just turn them around or change them screw them back on the 3/4 plywood. Works better than the one I had before since the led was sent downward and I needed really thick padding for *whispers* .22 bullets.
With this it stops everything

Reactions: Nod and Coalcracker

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What I really wanted to do was weld a 3 inch dia. 10 inch long steel pipe that I would've cut a slice in length wise to those steel plates to make something like this but my crude plywood box works lol

Edit: You don;t really need the plate on top or at the bottom since your bullet travels in a straight line even after hitting one of the side plates, it just follows the plate to the opening. with the pipe even if you were to shoot in the slit you would hit the curved inside of the pipe and the slit is made on the side (see pic above) so your bullet just follows the circle till it has no more speed

Reactions: Popeye

·
Aim true !
11,305 Posts
I like the box set up.

Reactions: Kobs

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts
What I really wanted to do was weld a 3 inch dia. 10 inch long steel pipe that I would've cut a slice in length wise to those steel plates to make something like this but my crude plywood box works lol

Edit: You don;t really need the plate on top or at the bottom since your bullet travels in a straight line even after hitting one of the side plates, it just follows the plate to the opening. with the pipe even if you were to shoot in the slit you would hit the curved inside of the plate and the slit is made on the side (see pic above) so your bullet just follows the circle till it has no more speed
That's called a 'snail trap'. They work quite well, even with larger calibers.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Can't open your link but I figured it was this. I like them but the way it's made a lot of shrapnel is coming back from behind the top of the target. because of the back and the bottom piece joint. I've seen video's where peoples had to use a piece of 1/8 rubber mats to prevent this
trap1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,803 Posts
20rd Belt-Fed Pellet Magazine? You know I started laughing then I looked it up. oops jokes on me :eek6: :lol:

Reactions: Kobs

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm probably going to go to my local welding shop one day and ask them to make me one of the snail trap but about 10 inch wide with a 4 inch pipe. That should solve my basement bullet trap problem till I die.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Can't open your link but I figured it was this. I like them but the way it's made a lot of shrapnel is coming back from behind the top of the target. because of the back and the bottom piece joint. I've seen video's where peoples had to use a piece of 1/8 rubber mats to prevent this
View attachment 86690
Yes, sir. That's the one.
I've not had a problem with lead pellets coming back at me, or even coming out of the box.
Lead free pellets occasionally did bounce out (they are much harder and don't flatten like lead), but a piece of cardboard was enough to keep them in the box.
Having said that, I never shoot BB's, and my air guns are low powered. Pistols are under 500fps, and rifles are rated no higher than 800fps.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah ok, what I heard was when peoples shot actual .22 cal. in them.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^^ but as I was saying the back plate that actually stops the bullet is over the curved part so the thickness of the steel sticks out when the bullet follows the back plate to get into the base part and with faster bullets(.22 cal.) parts of the bullet that were stopped by that thickness comes back

Here's a video of what i'm talking about

1 - 19 of 19 Posts