National Gun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,633 Posts
Baldy pretty much nailed it. Let her pick her first gun. Before we got married, my wife was deathly afraid of guns. When we first married, I only had two guns, my hunting rifle and a SW Model 19 with the 2.5" barrel. So my wife learned to shoot with a 357Mag. Now she can handle every thing and is afraid of nothing. She carries a Browning BDM everywhere she goes. The BDM use to be mine. But she decided it was hers. :D

If anyone thinks it is great to have a gun nut for a wilfe, it isn't. She steals all my firearms. My AR15 20" HERS!, all 5 of the 1911's HERS! I may as well say, all the pistols except the Berettas (too big for her hands). I built a 16" AR carbine, she snarfed that one as soon as saw it. Her side of the gun safe keeps getting fuller, mine keeps getting thinner. She "lets" me have the shotguns and the Garand. The M1 is too heavy for her, but she was asking about dropping it into a synthetic stock.

· Registered
3,633 Posts
Thank you sir. We are a couple of lucky cusses. There is only one thing that keeps popping into my mind when I think of the Honey Bunny and guns.

Grandpa told me once, "Never teach a woman to shoot a gun. Istead, teach her how to fish. You can take one heck of a beating with a fishing pole and still come out of it alive."

· Registered
3,633 Posts
Smokeinaces,

Just one more thing. The ladies seem to gravitate to smaller calibers and firearms. Most of the ladies are recoil fobic. They believe what they see and hear on TV about a 44 Magnum will dislocate her shoulder from the recoil, or a 45ACP will kick so much that the pistol will over come arm srength, gravity, the mechanics of the user's arm and physics to jump back and break her nose. It is okay to start with a 22 to get them understanding the prinicples of gun handling/safety, but when it comes to personal defense, anything smaller than a 9mm is almost pointless. In fact, a 9mm is the absolute bottom of the preferred self defence calibers for me; I prefer big bores. If a BG is worth shooting, then he is worth shooting with something that starts with a "4". My wife asked why I go with the 45 as my carry weapon, "the answer is very simple my dear, bigger holes mean bigger leaks in the BG." If you are leaning towards the 32ACP as a caliber, it is not that much of a greater reach to go with a 9mm Parabellum. My reasons are pretty simple, some what higher velocity + heavier bullet = more ouch on the BG.

Okay I will admit it, I do own and carry a 1911 chamber in 357 Sig every so often. Definitly not a round that starts with "4", but still is a sweet round. :mrgreen:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.