National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lady has expressed a desire to learn handguns and aquire one. As a die hard Sig fan I automatically thought of the P232. I've never held, fired or owned one though.

Anyone have any experience they'd like to share?

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I don't know about the gun but I know about the girl. Here's what I did and I have had a life long shooting partner. I took her to a gun store and let her pick out her own gun. She shot it often and became real good with it. Now she has her own collection of guns and is a good shot. She didn't know which end of the gun the bullet came out of when we got married. Good luck. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Baldy pretty much nailed it. Let her pick her first gun. Before we got married, my wife was deathly afraid of guns. When we first married, I only had two guns, my hunting rifle and a SW Model 19 with the 2.5" barrel. So my wife learned to shoot with a 357Mag. Now she can handle every thing and is afraid of nothing. She carries a Browning BDM everywhere she goes. The BDM use to be mine. But she decided it was hers. :D

If anyone thinks it is great to have a gun nut for a wilfe, it isn't. She steals all my firearms. My AR15 20" HERS!, all 5 of the 1911's HERS! I may as well say, all the pistols except the Berettas (too big for her hands). I built a 16" AR carbine, she snarfed that one as soon as saw it. Her side of the gun safe keeps getting fuller, mine keeps getting thinner. She "lets" me have the shotguns and the Garand. The M1 is too heavy for her, but she was asking about dropping it into a synthetic stock.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Thank you sir. We are a couple of lucky cusses. There is only one thing that keeps popping into my mind when I think of the Honey Bunny and guns.

Grandpa told me once, "Never teach a woman to shoot a gun. Istead, teach her how to fish. You can take one heck of a beating with a fishing pole and still come out of it alive."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hehe good thread we have here. Them women...... :roll: What are you going to do with them.......

Mine actually owns her own safe on HER side of the room. She is always telling me I am cleaning my gun wrong, putting this backwards, this and that and AHHHHHHHHHH

My women is a gun nut and im not proud to say! :evil:

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Smokeinaces,

Just one more thing. The ladies seem to gravitate to smaller calibers and firearms. Most of the ladies are recoil fobic. They believe what they see and hear on TV about a 44 Magnum will dislocate her shoulder from the recoil, or a 45ACP will kick so much that the pistol will over come arm srength, gravity, the mechanics of the user's arm and physics to jump back and break her nose. It is okay to start with a 22 to get them understanding the prinicples of gun handling/safety, but when it comes to personal defense, anything smaller than a 9mm is almost pointless. In fact, a 9mm is the absolute bottom of the preferred self defence calibers for me; I prefer big bores. If a BG is worth shooting, then he is worth shooting with something that starts with a "4". My wife asked why I go with the 45 as my carry weapon, "the answer is very simple my dear, bigger holes mean bigger leaks in the BG." If you are leaning towards the 32ACP as a caliber, it is not that much of a greater reach to go with a 9mm Parabellum. My reasons are pretty simple, some what higher velocity + heavier bullet = more ouch on the BG.

Okay I will admit it, I do own and carry a 1911 chamber in 357 Sig every so often. Definitly not a round that starts with "4", but still is a sweet round. :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't really see the point of the P232 anymore. Granted, it's a quality pistol, but it seems rather obsolete. There are 9mms and .40s the same size or smaller, and other .380s that are a lot smaller. For a gun in that "size envelope" I'd much rather have a Kahr 9mm. A steel-framed, locked-breech 9mm does not kick.

My own wife is not among the recoil-phobic. She shoots 12 gauge and .45 ACP with aplomb, though she prefers a 9mm for carry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1 to letting her pick out her own handgun. Since I am a collector I have a lot of different handguns including the Sig 380. Her problem is that her hands and grip are not strong enough to rack the slide, (she's a recovering stroke victim.)
Since she likes simplicity I let her try some of my Ruger Single Sixes. Since we live out and have a large snake population she chose the Single Six 22 mag loaded with birdshot. She takes it with her outside and has killed several mocassins (sp) and one timber rattler.
She is recoil phobic. She carries a Taurus 32 H&R mag with ported barrel. It is light, easy to shoot single action and packs enough punch to deter any average sized thug. Very little recoil due to the ports.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my wife never shot a pistol before she met me. i bought her a xd 9 tactical just cause she liked my service model but the 5in version has a tamer recoil and i can run a 16 lb spring in it and she doesnt have a problem racking the slide.

now shes competes with me using it. (and my favorite holser :| ) she just made expert in ESP. quess im a better teacher than a shooter. shes gainig on me dangerously fast.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Letting a women go to the range and rent a gun that she feels comfortable and feels she is accurate with is always a good option. Men please dont pick your wifey's guns. Thats like you hating a glock and she saying well they are the best use it anyway. Always good to let them decided.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
agreed. and once you get them thinking about it talk to them about going to an all ladys class. girls tend to be more comfortable in these settings. i know ive taught a few

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
There is a school in my city that does this. Pretty good school. Im glad they hace these classes. Really helps women know the basics.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I have had a sig232 for many years. It is one of the most accurate 380's that are available today. With hogue grips you have a nice weapon that will be one of the best defensive backup pistols available. Its double action, has a decocker and is very safe to handle.

This is one of the best pistols available today for the ladies! Its fits their hand perfectly, looks cool and is easy to fire quickly with accuracy.

The male need for big power does not transfer well to the gals folks and they will shy away from firing our 9mm, 40 cal and 45 acp choices that we tend to select for them. Even the S&W 38 cal will snap their wrists with enough power to make them flinch. Give them something they can fire well and they will stand a good chance of protecting themselves.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
dogsoldier said:
Baldy pretty much nailed it. Let her pick her first gun. Before we got married, my wife was deathly afraid of guns. When we first married, I only had two guns, my hunting rifle and a SW Model 19 with the 2.5" barrel. So my wife learned to shoot with a 357Mag. Now she can handle every thing and is afraid of nothing. She carries a Browning BDM everywhere she goes. The BDM use to be mine. But she decided it was hers. :D

If anyone thinks it is great to have a gun nut for a wilfe, it isn't. She steals all my firearms. My AR15 20" HERS!, all 5 of the 1911's HERS! I may as well say, all the pistols except the Berettas (too big for her hands). I built a 16" AR carbine, she snarfed that one as soon as saw it. Her side of the gun safe keeps getting fuller, mine keeps getting thinner. She "lets" me have the shotguns and the Garand. The M1 is too heavy for her, but she was asking about dropping it into a synthetic stock.
I think your wife and mine went to different schools together! I mean, hey, it's really nice and I know I'm blessed to NOT have to beg, bribe, or lurk about to get a new gun for me. BUT, Jeez, they often don't stay "mine" very long. If she was on this forum (which she might be...I better be careful...) her signature would be, "You're married...You Own NOTHING!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
When my wife decided she wanted her own handgun, we rented a bunch at the range.

She decided on the Springfield XD (9MM). Loved it. Very accurate with it.

Then she shot my Sig 226 (.40). Decided she wanted to step up to the .40.

She found an 239SAS she liked. Loved it. Very accurate with it.

Then she found a Kahr CW9 she liked, bought it. Very accurate with it.

I work nights, she decided she needed a shotgun. Found a Mossberg Maverick with an adjustable stock and pistol grip forend, bought it. Very accurate with it.

I try my best not to make her mad. ;)

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I agree with all of you that made the statement, "let her choose the gun she feels comfortable with!" Thats really the answer! If they can shoot it and is feels good in the hand and they hit consistantly well with the pistol/revolver then that the one for them.

But do put a sig232 in the pile of them to make their selection and watch how many will pick it up and do well with it.

I too have known a few gals that love the 45 acp and/or the 9mm. But most don't choose what we like so give them something that they will love shooting and not be afraid to pack, if they choose to do so. Just my humble opinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts