National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My first post here...just decided to get a handgun. I really like how the Sig P226 feels and I'm thinking of getting a used one in .40S&W. When I was talking to the gun shop owner, he stated that Sig sells 'service models' to the police, etc that are of inferior quality to the 'commercial models'. Is there any weight to this? If so, how do I tell the difference if looking for a used P226? Also, in looking at used P226s, I see some that say 'Grade 1'. What does that mean?

P.S. Just so I'm clear, I'm not interested in the P226 Elite, Equinox, DAK or any of the other versions, just the standard. Thanks all!!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Mechanical quality is the same in all new SIGs. The finish on the service models is not as fancy.

For your second question, there is actually no standardized meaning for "Grade 1, 2, 3," or anything like that. The terms are used by the distributors of used service guns such as J&G, Interstate, AIM Surplus and the like, to describe their own grading system. You pay the advertised price for a "Grade 3" (as an example) and they'll charge $10 or $20 for you to upgrade to the next grade up. The grades are arbitrary by company. They may have their own, internal criteria, but the numbers have nothing to do with the NRA Grading System. Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Dick: the gun shop owner said that he knew several police officers that had to hand in their P226s several times before they got a good one. He adamantly stated that there was a difference. But I'm a total newb, so what do I know?? :biggrin5:

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Mechanical quality is the same in all new SIGs. The finish on the service models is not as fancy.
That is the first I've heard of a SIG-Sauer "service" model. I've seen a few SIG-Sauer pistols.

We sell thousands of SIG-Sauer pistols a year. We sell new, we sell used and we sell agency trade-ins. We have done this for 10+ years. We purchase new SIG pistols from SIG-Sauer, from RSR and from SSI. We purchase SIG Certified Used pistols from SIG-Sauer. We purchase agency trade-in SIG pistols from most any distributor who will sell them in lots of 100, or more (especially if they offer terms). We purchase used SIG pistols "over the counter". The local City and County Policing Agencys here both issue SIGs (P.226 & P.229) in .40 S&W as a duty weapon. Before they changed over to the .40 S&W, they issued SIG-Sauer pistols chambered in 9mm. I am a SIG Certified Armorer.

Now, those distributors selling used and agency trade-in SIG pistols may very well have their own grading system. I know that some do. These grading systems have nothing to do with SIG-Sauer. They are strictly internal rating systems pertaining to the severity of use their pistols (for sale) have seen.

I believe that the next time I spoke with this gun dealer, I woud carefully check and see if his eyes are brown and if his breath stinks. I believe you will find that both symptoms exist.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Popeye...you obviously know what you're talking about when it comes to SIG pistols. However your last comment was unnecessary and ignorant. It was an old southern white dude, but his eye color escapes me. Maybe I have brown eyes...or not. It doesn't matter. But I think I can deduce from your comment who you think the enemy is. You are mistaken.

·
55,659 Posts
The "enemy" in this case are those who speak from ignorance, spreading disinformation. Those who are too ignorant, too lazy or too greedy to verify that what they say is based on fact instead of hearsay.

Its simple, really. Make sure what you say is the truth before you say it. You may be called out on your words.

·
55,659 Posts
I believe that the next time I spoke with this gun dealer, I woud carefully check and see if his eyes are brown and if his breath stinks. I believe you will find that both symptoms exist.
Brown eyes. Bad breath. Those are symptoms of a person being full of feces.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Popeye: fair enough...and I agree. But you can see how I would mistake your meaning. It's an interesting way to say someone is full of it.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Popeye: fair enough...and I agree. But you can see how I would mistake your meaning. It's an interesting way to say someone is full of it.
Mate If an Aussie was to say it he would say that the person is full of S**t but Popeye was being polite :biggrin5:

·
55,659 Posts
I often infer vulgarities without being vulgar. Ya gots ta pay attention.

I also have a rather warped sense of humor.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
That is the first I've heard of a SIG-Sauer "service" model. I've seen a few SIG-Sauer pistols.
Sounds like my sales-dude pulled that info out of his ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts