National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, newbie here,
I asked a question in my intro thread, but figured it'd be easier here.

I was wondering about some side by side shotguns.
Wondering what were some good makers, and how much do they typically run $$ - new and used(for the double trigger type too).

thanks

G

·
Welcome to the Forum.
There are a host of good side by sides, just have to sort them out by price. Some run into the thousands.
Stevens made a good one. Thousands of side by sides were sold by Sears under the J C Higgins name. By and large they are going by the wayside in favor of the over and under which is a lot easier to shoot and doesn't feel so unwieldy. I learned to shoot birds with a Parker Brothers 20 guage, then got a Stevens 16 guage, have my dads L C Smith 16. No way I'd go back to shooting a SxS. I never shot an O/U except for clays. Autoloaders are so reliable and you have that third round for migratory birds or up to five for quail. The three SxS I have are just collectors.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
One of my brothers has my dad's old Stevens SxS 12 gauge.

The other brother got my older brother's .410/.22 over/under.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Mecha-G said:
How 'bout one of these? I've been wanting one for some time.
Stoeger Coach Gun 12 gauge
around $350.00 - $400.00

CDNN just had those on sale for $200, used, very good condition. And shipping is only $9.99, no matter what/how much you buy.

They're good guys, might be worth a call to see if they'll extend the price to you.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts

I have a Stoeger Coachgun also. Highly recommend you get one.

G

·
I've got a Stoeger Uplander SxS in 12 gauge. Actually bought it for my gf :lol: She and I both love it :) They're good guns for the price.

G

·
Thanks Glock27Bill, good lookin' out
but... times are mighty tight for me right
now. :cry:

I think my main focus for the foreseeable
future will be ammo.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
For what it's worth, Gun Test just gave the Stoeger a good write up.

They also made a point that, if you ended up in court, a Stoeger looks like a hunting shotgun a reasonable person might have, as opposed to the tactical Mossberg they reviewed.

G

·
sidebysides are tuff to find other than the stoegers.old box locks are nice but $$$ cheap over unders like condor,gazzelles (double trigger) if your not an every day shooter. i rabbit hunt @ 60 days a yr and have a charles daly o/u which i can beat up w/ no worries. they run @ 600-1200. with the bottom end shooting as well as the top ,woods just not as nice..used browning citoris are always a good buy.and both have single selective triggers which in my opinion is an absolute must. youll spend months getting used to 2 triggers. replaceable choke tubes are real nice as well.just my .2 pennies

G

·
You can pay anything from a few hundred $ for a low end gun to over a hundred thousand for a "best" SxS made by Holland & Holland, Boss, Purdey, etc.

Be careful in buying older we used SxS's as the barrel joints can come loose.

To test for this break the gun down and hang the barrels vertically in mid air on your index finger then smartly rap the barrels up and down their length with a plastic or wooden tool. The barrels should ring like a bell. If they sound dead or "flat" they are not safe to shoot and cost a lot to fix.

The Ithaca SKB's are sound guns and I hear good things about Huglu's and other Turkish made guns. These are less than $1000. In a local shop there is a used Ithaca NID 12 gauge star model with 26" full and modified barrels and double triggers in really good shape that I have my eye on. The asking price is $500.

I prefer double triggers. Once you get used to them they are faster that selective single triggers and more reliable.

I'd stay away from Brazilian and Russian made guns although I hear the Russian quality has recently improved.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
How 'bout one of these? I've been wanting one for some time.
Stoeger Coach Gun 12 gauge
around $350.00 - $400.00

im getting one of those in 4 months

1 - 17 of 17 Posts