National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a little over a year left on my army commitment, and I'm sick and tired of the BS. I'm not re-up-ing.
 
G

·
This is my last go-round, too. Been here almost six months, and I don't feel like we've done anything meaningful. The retention guys are dangling bonuses, of course, but it's not very much money when spread over six years and probably two more deployments. I ETS in March, right about when my unit redeploys to the World.
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
I think you have to be a certain type of individual to take strict orders and subject yourself to that kind of control for a 20+ year hitch.

If you convert to the officer side of the aisle, things become more interesting as you progress up in rank. Still got the bull but you get a lot more respect and pay.
 
G

·
I ETS in about a year and a half and I'm happy to say I'll signing on for another 6 years. I've had my fair share of BS but thats sort of what makes the military. For the first part of my deployment I thought it was pretty stupid to be going out the wire so I could get blown up or shot but then the one mission I went on to give school supplies and toys to the children made whole thing worth and will go back in a heart beat. It's not the adults we're trying to change, they're already stuck in their ways. It's the children we're trying to change the hearts and minds of, they are after all the future leaders of tomorrow aren't they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Zulu7 said:
I've got a little over a year left on my army commitment, and I'm sick and tired of the BS. I'm not re-up-ing.
I see things haven't changed since I was in '67-'70. When you get discharged you can join us at the American Legion and Patriot Guard and do "Funeral Missions" for the KIA from the war. Just did my 5th "Funeral Mission" today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
glennc said:
Zulu7 said:
I've got a little over a year left on my army commitment, and I'm sick and tired of the BS. I'm not re-up-ing.
I see things haven't changed since I was in '67-'70. When you get discharged you can join us at the American Legion and Patriot Guard and do "Funeral Missions" for the KIA from the war. Just did my 5th "Funeral Mission" today.


I'm already a life member of the VFW. I spent...no make that "wasted", a year of my life over there. But if I hadn't done that, I wouldn't be with my current g/f right now, so I guess it's all worth it in the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
SheNine said:
glennc said:
Just did my 5th "Funeral Mission" today.
Must be very hard for you to do. It break my heart everytime I hear about another fallen hero................. :cry:
Yes it is hard, both emotional and physical (was 106*) but the family thanks us for our support. The PGR stands for Patriot Guard Riders, we do the "Funeral Missions". Here's their link:
http://patriotguard.org/
 
G

·
cropper97E said:
I ETS in about a year and a half and I'm happy to say I'll signing on for another 6 years. I've had my fair share of BS but thats sort of what makes the military. For the first part of my deployment I thought it was pretty stupid to be going out the wire so I could get blown up or shot but then the one mission I went on to give school supplies and toys to the children made whole thing worth and will go back in a heart beat. It's not the adults we're trying to change, they're already stuck in their ways. It's the children we're trying to change the hearts and minds of, they are after all the future leaders of tomorrow aren't they?
If we have to wait for the kids to grow up to sort this out, we'll have to be in the Middle East for another 20-30 years. No way will the American people support that kind of open-ended commitment, and the politicians will follow the votes.

My own experience with Afghan kids (never been to Iraq) is that they are 12-going-on-40, and just as willing to lie, cheat and steal as their fathers.
 

·
Iron Maiden
Joined
·
8,441 Posts
Mike Barham said:
My own experience with Afghan kids (never been to Iraq) is that they are 12-going-on-40, and just as willing to lie, cheat and steal as their fathers.

What do you think the problem is? What about the "hearts and minds"? Or is the hatred of the west just so ingrained in their society?
 
G

·
I don't see the U.S. getting out of the middle east any time soon. Even if a politician was willing pull the troops out there is still something called occupation. The second troops are pulled out is when the civil war will start in those countries and who will be blamed for it, the one that pulled the troops out. Yeah the kids in Iraq were willing lie, cheat, and steal but so are the kids in the U.S. All of you that say deploying to either country was a waste of your time, why did you join the military in the first place. I spent 12 months of my life helping a people in need. Yeah both of those countries are probably going turn to s*** again but I am more than willing to go back and risk my life again to those people out even if it's just going to last for a short amount time. I don't think it's really a soul hatred for the west, but what they've been "brainwashed" to think about the world outside of Islam. Not only all that, but I'm much more willing to fight the bad guys on their soil than have them step foot on mine again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cropper97E said:
I don't see the U.S. getting out of the middle east any time soon. Even if a politician was willing pull the troops out there is still something called occupation. The second troops are pulled out is when the civil war will start in those countries and who will be blamed for it, the one that pulled the troops out. Yeah the kids in Iraq were willing lie, cheat, and steal but so are the kids in the U.S. All of you that say deploying to either country was a waste of your time, why did you join the military in the first place. I spent 12 months of my life helping a people in need. Yeah both of those countries are probably going turn to s*** again but I am more than willing to go back and risk my life again to those people out even if it's just going to last for a short amount time. I don't think it's really a soul hatred for the west, but what they've been "brainwashed" to think about the world outside of Islam. Not only all that, but I'm much more willing to fight the bad guys on their soil than have them step foot on mine again.


I agree with you 194%. But I'm tired of the BS that happens in a unit that has rotated back from a tour and has resumed it's lazy attitude towards training. I'm sick of the "hurry up and wait." I'm sick of the a holes who get promoted because they're buddy-buddy with the CO and 1SG, even if they can't take a PT test because they're on profile. I'm just plain sick and tired of the idiots who openly disrespect me just because I don't have a 1st ID patch on my right shoulder and a CIB pin on my chest. What makes them so much better than me just because I wear a 32nd SIB patch instead of a 1st ID?
 
G

·
Zulu7 said:
cropper97E said:
I don't see the U.S. getting out of the middle east any time soon. Even if a politician was willing pull the troops out there is still something called occupation. The second troops are pulled out is when the civil war will start in those countries and who will be blamed for it, the one that pulled the troops out. Yeah the kids in Iraq were willing lie, cheat, and steal but so are the kids in the U.S. All of you that say deploying to either country was a waste of your time, why did you join the military in the first place. I spent 12 months of my life helping a people in need. Yeah both of those countries are probably going turn to s*** again but I am more than willing to go back and risk my life again to those people out even if it's just going to last for a short amount time. I don't think it's really a soul hatred for the west, but what they've been "brainwashed" to think about the world outside of Islam. Not only all that, but I'm much more willing to fight the bad guys on their soil than have them step foot on mine again.


I agree with you 194%. But I'm tired of the BS that happens in a unit that has rotated back from a tour and has resumed it's lazy attitude towards training. I'm sick of the "hurry up and wait." I'm sick of the a holes who get promoted because they're buddy-buddy with the CO and 1SG, even if they can't take a PT test because they're on profile. I'm just plain sick and tired of the idiots who openly disrespect me just because I don't have a 1st ID patch on my right shoulder and a CIB pin on my chest. What makes them so much better than me just because I wear a 32nd SIB patch instead of a 1st ID?
yeah I hear you on lazy training rut that units get back into and all that. Since I've been back I've transferred units 3 times and it's lookin like a 4th cause of the attitudes that they have with training. I'm all for the train like you fight not the by the book all the time stuff they get back into.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
I agree with you 194%. But I'm tired of the BS that happens in a unit that has rotated back from a tour and has resumed it's lazy attitude towards training. I'm sick of the "hurry up and wait." I'm sick of the a holes who get promoted because they're buddy-buddy with the CO and 1SG, even if they can't take a PT test because they're on profile. I'm just plain sick and tired of the idiots who openly disrespect me just because I don't have a 1st ID patch on my right shoulder and a CIB pin on my chest. What makes them so much better than me just because I wear a 32nd SIB patch instead of a 1st ID?
The BS things are happening on the "outside" too. My wife worked for the post office for 10 yrs. same BS there, she worked for an airport support company for 10 yrs same BS there, she now works for TSA, same BS there too.
I've worked for the same company for 27 yrs and have endurred the same BS there too, alot of the "Peter principal" BS.
I'm getting sick and damn tired of seeing incompetent people promoted and have to take their BS!
I do feel your pain my friend, and I thought I was thru with that same BS you're talking about when I was discharged in '70. My brother got PTSD from 'Nam and just recently got VA disability benefits.
 

·
Iron Maiden
Joined
·
8,441 Posts
glennc said:
The BS things are happening on the "outside" too. My wife worked for the post office for 10 yrs. same BS there, she worked for an airport support company for 10 yrs same BS there, she now works for TSA, same BS there too.
I've worked for the same company for 27 yrs and have endurred the same BS there too, alot of the "Peter principal" BS.
I'm getting sick and damn tired of seeing incompetent people promoted and have to take their BS!

Same thing is happening in corporate America! The brown-noses are moving up, and the hard-workers are having to clean up the mess they leave behind. It seems common sense has gone out the window.................. :roll:
 
G

·
I enlisted to protect America, not to help "build" a nation full of lazy and unappreciative people who have no cultural concept of political liberty, and whose main allegiances are to their tribe and a religion invented by a crackpot. Quite honestly, I don't give a rip about the Afghan people. They expect us to do everything for them - even their soldiers, who spend more time getting high than training. They are just biding time until we leave and the next guy with a big stick comes along.

I agree that we will be in the Middle East for a long time, and Afghanistan will probably become a permanent duty station, much like Korea. But we won't be here in sufficient force to create the sea change in attitudes and values that the current strategy demands. I don't think we will be in Iraq long enough to prevent their civil war. Once we have a Democrat in the White House, the pullout in Iraq will commence.

As far as the Afghan kids, I think it comes from crushing poverty (every kid for himself!) combined with having no cultural prohibitions about lying to/stealing from infidels.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top