National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,080 Posts
This is a classic case of creating an imaginary problem out of thin air and then proposing a pet solution to it. In this case, people who are in favor of eliminating all guns from society want to presume that guns in society are a problem.

They are not.

“We didn’t want to be the agency that sold the gun to somebody who uses it in another crime,” said Capt. Jeff Schneider of the Yakima Police Department, which used to sell confiscated guns but now melts them down. “While there is almost an unlimited supply of firearms out there, we don’t need to make the problem worse.”
The whole premise of the article is absurd: If police departments don't sell guns to the public, gun crimes will decrease. The reality is: Guns are already available elsewhere and if a bad guy wants one, he'll just get it somewhere else.

Police gun sales should be thought of as a way to enable law-abiding folk to defend themselves at a lower cost than buying a new gun at a store. To say nothing of providing funds to the police for additional gear, etc.

The article studiously avoids giving full details on the numbers of guns sold vs the number used in crimes except for one instance that calculates to about 1.5%. Unfortunately, that small sample size as well as the fact that they don't give complete figures to use in a valid calculation suggests that it was merely cherry picked because that's the highest ratio they could come up with. The reality is probably the same as the rest of society, ergo, very much lower, in terms of percentages. To give at least a little benefit of the doubt, they did say that the numbers weren't available which suggests that the premise of the article was conjured up out of someone's imagination.

--Wag--

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Everyone needs money, the guns are no longer in the hands of criminals and if you cannot trace it's owner why destroy perfectly good firearms, sell them and use the money to get what the police needs and can't get because of budget cuts

Reactions: WhitePepe

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
My second shotgun ( Stevens Model 124) came from the police chief of our local town. He had confiscated it and sold it to me for $20. Of course this was back in 1966 and I was even a minor. How times have changed.

Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Revolver

·
Wyoming
4,251 Posts
This is so reminiscent of the superstitious uneducated people of the past. At the end of the 17th Century Witches were burned and hanged. This was to stop Demons which caused insanity. Apparently, it did not work. Insanity is alive and well in Washington State? :lol:
Our sheriff's Dept. had an annual gun sale every year. I like others picked up some real bargains. And then came a sharp salesman up from Salt Lake City. He offered to take the firearms for trade on range ammunition for the officers. The "Peddler" won we lost.:cryin:

·
Wyoming
4,251 Posts
This is so reminiscent of the superstitious uneducated people of the past. At the end of the 17th Century Witches were burned and hanged. This was to stop Demons which caused insanity. Apparently, it did not work. Insanity is alive and well in Washington State? :lol:
Our sheriff's Dept. had an annual gun sale every year. I like others picked up some real bargains. And then came a sharp salesman up from Salt Lake City. He offered to take the firearms for trade on range ammunition for the officers. The "Peddler" won we lost.:cryin:

·
Super Moderator
5,953 Posts
It would produce a friendly one on one with the law abiding people and the police. Getting to know the public and the public getting to know the police. Yes, they should sell. They make it sound like the police will sell to criminals and or criminals will go to their sale to purchase them...with out a license through the "police buy back loophole". Like how I made up s new term?

I thought I read somewhere there is a law being made, if the firearm is of value they will not destroy it. They'll help the owner sell it or they will sell it themselves.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,438 Posts
When LEO agencies purchase new/different service weapons the sell their outdated weapons to a dealer in used firearms for resale to the public. Foreign governments do this with regularity. Off the top of my head, I've acquired a SIG P.226 (9mm), a SIG P.220 (.45 ACP), two SIG P.6 (9mm) and a S&W 4506 (.45 ACP) this way.

I see no difference if a LEO agency sells seized firearms, in good working order, directly to the public. As an added benefit these sales can lower local taxes since they help the LEO agency be self-supporting.

·
Super Moderator
5,953 Posts
Now that you mentioned it, matter of fact I too have a few police surplus firearms. So with what you said imo it sounds hypocritical for them not to.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
The analogy about the gun sold then being used in commission of a crime won't fly. The police agencies from city to federal sell all sorts of seizure items. How about the Corvette seized from a drug dealer sold at auction. Six months down the road some kid kills himself driving drunk in that car. It's the same thing. Inanimate objects do not have the ability to demonstrate criminal intent. Criminal abuse/misuse causes them to be dangerous.
As Popeye pointed out all this destruction of legal firearms accomplishes is cutting the agency out of a source of revenue.

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
The Chiefs of Police who make such sweeping and righteous sounding public statements are those who suck up to anti-gun politicians who appoint them at their pleasure.

Police Agencies who are not subject to the superstition of 'guns' being inhabited by evil spirits who make otherwise normal people kill others just go ahead and make some funds from the legitimate sale of firearms. Usually they are sold in lots to licensed dealers who in turn sell them to those consumers passing background checks.

Some number of seized firearms are not worth having. Improper modifications or illegal modifications by villains make some firearms dangerous to load or shoot. Some are rather cheaply made items and wear quickly. Some are ordinary but need cleaning. Some - few - are rare. To destroy all firearms is to flush money down the toilet.

·
Super Moderator
15,285 Posts
I'm getting a picture in my head of all the criminals lining up down at the police station on gun selling day....

Alan

Reactions: Jim_s

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
There was an ulterior motive to the "witch" burnings. Records clearly show that the "witches" were all midwives, who were taking business away from the local
doctors, who records also show were the primary agitators in the hysteria which resulted in innocent women being burned at the stake. THIS is a great
example, as it is evident there is also an ulterior motive here. If the police department wants to melt valuable items into slag, why not do it quietly?
They not only are foolishly throwing money out the window, in doing so they are making an obvious anti-gun sentiment publicized.

IMO, wait till these same departments come begging for funds, and then tell them "You had a great source of funding at your disposal, and chose to
waste even more money, by melting it down into scrap steel. Does the stupid burn, yet?"

OTOH, every time BozoCop decides to get all stupid with an anti -gun stance, MY guns all increase in value. So, at that rate,they
can choose to be as stupid as they please, it's helping us, in the long run...

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
26,496 Posts
Any guns confiscated by the police should be returned to their rightful owner. Those that can't be returned should be turned over to an FFL to be sold on consignment. If the FFL determines that a firearm is in poor condition and/or unsafe to operate, that firearm should be returned to the police to be destroyed.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
I'm getting a picture in my head of all the criminals lining up down at the police station on gun selling day....

Alan
Talk about a 'Monkey Trap'. While the officer is running the NICS, he can also run a "Wants & Warrants" check on the buyer. But some criminals really are that stupid. Otherwise they would not risk their lives, and freedom committing crimes for money.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Arizona agencies must sell guns to FFL dealers. They are disallowed by state law to destroy them.

It used to be, back when I was a rook, that the sheriff's office would sell "a bag of guns" to local cops for $100. In the bag were 5 to 7 handguns...and you never knew what you would get. But, there was usually a POS ghetto blaster, one or two decent guns, and one or two really nice ones. The evidence guys really did try to take care that everyone got a good bag.

Then, when the libtard sheriff took over...that ended.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts