National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should I go with the Sig P365 or the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 2.0 as my next buy?

I am in need of a new carry pistol. I have been Concealed carrying a 1911 Government model, and quite frankly, that is becoming annoying (especially in the summer months). I live in Idaho, so I have to bundle-up good in the winter and it is not a problem hiding it.

I have narrowed the choice of dedicated carry pistol down to two contenders, the Sig P365 and the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 2.0. I have shot both and really like both of them. I really enjoyed the sights more on the P365 (it has those nice night-sights), and the triggers were not too dissimilar, but the P365 may have a slight advantage. The P365 also had an advantage when it came to magazine capacity. The Shield was slimmer, which was really nice, I like how slim the slide is, the P365 was just as wide as my 1911 and certainly wider than the Shield. The only part that I am struggling with, is the grips on both of them. I have really large hands and I did not really care for the really narrow grip size of the Shield, but I did like the length of the grip. It was the opposite with the P365, the width was great, but the length was uncomfortably and annoyingly short (for my hands at least), even with the 10-round extension. The guy at the gun range did put in the 12 magazine and that was the perfect size for my hands, it was very comfortable. The issue is, the 12 round mags don't come with the gun and are $50 each. There is no way that I am paying for a 12-round pistol magazine that costs $50, that is absurd. Now one of the local gun stores does have something called a Sig P365 Tac-Pac and it consists of the gun, a cheap concealed carry holster, and three 12-round magazines for $560. I am highly considering that.

Another thing to be aware of is that I have a full-sized Smith & Wesson M&P 9 so I don't know if (due to that fact), I should go with the Shield?

I am pretty knowledgeable about firearms in general and have been shooting for 18 years, but I am somewhat new to the topic of Concealed Carry, especially when it comes to Compact and Sub-Compact sized pistols so any input helps, I like to be educated. Thank you.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
No way the slide on my 365s is wider than my 1911.....it is also a lot thinner than a G26
With larger hands, you'll want to use the 12 or 15 round mag with the 365. With the 12 round mag, it fits my hand perfectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I carry my shield daily and I love it, only thing bad about it I could say if as I’m sure you’ve noticed sense you shot it is the grip is very harsh which is great in the hands but hard on the torso when you carry if you are not wearing an under shirt. I know you’re looking for a small gun but can I also throw the mp 9 compact in the ring? I sometimes wish I grabbed that instead of the shield. It’s a bit bigger but still very very concealable it’s the size of a Glock 19 snd holds about 10 more rounds than the shield. But as I said I love my shield and you can never go wrong with it and if that small subcompact single stack is what your looking for I don’t think you can beat it !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No way the slide on my 365s is wider than my 1911.....it is also a lot thinner than a G26
With larger hands, you'll want to use the 12 or 15 round mag with the 365. With the 12 round mag, it fits my hand perfectly.
You are correct. I misspoke there. I changed the language in the main text. I changed it to "the P365 was just as wide as my 1911 and certainly wider than the Shield." Which is accurate. I put my SR1911 slide-to-slide up to the P365 and they are about the same width.

I agree, the 12 or 15 round mags fit a lot better in my hands as well. I am more concerned with paying $50 for a single mag just to make the gun usable to me. That is a major concern. As I said though, a local gun store has a Tac-Pac which includes three 12-round mags for no additional cost.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like you need to look at the P365XL. It may fit your hands better.

The P365 is a fine weapon and I really like the one the wife carries. I like it enough that I am soon to get the XL for myself. You will never go wrong with a Sig.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,358 Posts
Get the Sig, definitely the Sig. You don't be sorry later on. Trust me. :aureola:

Reactions: Kobs

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
i would still shop around for a bit........so many guns.....so many choices.......and all of the new models will be hopefully available soon from the 2020 Shot Show..........

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
You are correct. I misspoke there. I changed the language in the main text. I changed it to "the P365 was just as wide as my 1911 and certainly wider than the Shield." Which is accurate. I put my SR1911 slide-to-slide up to the P365 and they are about the same width.

I agree, the 12 or 15 round mags fit a lot better in my hands as well. I am more concerned with paying $50 for a single mag just to make the gun usable to me. That is a major concern. As I said though, a local gun store has a Tac-Pac which includes three 12-round mags for no additional cost.
Academy sells the mags for $39.99 all day long, 10, 12, or 15 rounds

·
Registered
369 Posts
FWIW, you could always bulk up the grip on the shield by applying talon grips or something to it.

·
Live Free
2,895 Posts
Sounds like you prefer the P365 over the shield in several ways. If it holds the advantages over the Shield for you in most ways, and the grip is easily solved with the larger mags, then you just need to ante up and buy the gun you prefer...or else settle for your second choice. If it is your intended carry, don’t scrimp, get what you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts