National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a H&R 12ga single shot Shotgun i got about 8months back cheap from a pawnshop.It looked good in the store tho dirty bought it took it home and its sat since. today i was bored and thought i should really go over this shotgun. briefly looked it over again seemed fine took her apart and started cleaning. And after cleaning much carbon build up i notice the damage. none of it seems super deep when i run a brass pick over it but as its at the throat i thought when not make a post lol was a little hard to get some good pictures without blinding the camera

· Registered
8,425 Posts
Shotguns do not have a "throat", they have a forcing cone and that one looks dirty; grab a bronze brush, a little oil, a cordless drill and go back and forth to see if it cleans it up.

Reactions: deputy and Stamps6

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shotguns do not have a "throat", they have a forcing cone and that one looks dirty; grab a bronze brush, a little oil, a cordless drill and go back and forth to see if it cleans it up.
Thanks for the correction. It is 100% clean as said in my first post funny enough that's the first thing i did was grab a 12ga brush and a drill

· Premium Member
9,926 Posts
It’s clean but that end of the chamber gets a lot of hot plastic, squeezed lead and unbury powder. Brass brush the hell out of it. I personally, some might disagree, would put the brush and short rod on a drill with some bore solvent and let it do it’s magic.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys it is clean it has been scrubbed with a 12ga bore brush with hoppes No. 9 and a 18v cordless power drill. Anything that may look like build up is just a effect from the camera angle and the very bright light

· Registered
6,726 Posts
shoot and enjoy......i would not worry about it.....most likely, the gun will out-last you....

love them old single shots......obsolete, out-of-date, out of style, one shot and it best be done right......and in the dove fields it rarely is...... ;)

but have mercy.....slim, trim, light, and simple.....and lots of good memories.

Reactions: RMLamp

· Registered
1,944 Posts
Technically that's after the mandated switch for waterfowl but that doesn't mean it's rated for steel shot. Is there anything stamped on the barrel stating "Lead shot only" where it states gage and shell length?

· Registered
1,944 Posts
H&R has never been known for high end shotguns, could just be that's the way it was made or it's had a rough life. I'd show the damage to a gunsmith just to verify it's safe to shoot and then probably stick to 2 3/4 target loads. Still I'm leaning towards steel shot damage.

· Registered
8,425 Posts
H&R wasn't even known for good medium or low end guns.............LOL

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Registered
145 Posts
On the older shotguns the forcing cone was cut at a 5° 30' angle, which is only around 3/8-inch long. This type of forcing cone was used to accommodate the short, fiber, over powder. wads. The short jump of these wads is to prevent gas blow by before the wad could seal the bore.
Over the years I've reworked the forcing cone on many of these older shotguns by reaming the forcing cone to 1° 30' that's around 1 ½ long, which makes for a more gradual reduction from the chamber to the 0.7250 diameter bores in those shotguns. As was mentioned above, there is a buildup of carbon and lead from the shot that has crashed into the short forcing cone, along with plastic wad residue from the use of modern shells. I that forcing cone were to be reworked to 1° 30', much less shot would make it out the bore and stay in the shot pattern as they would not have any flat spots caused by slamming into the shor forcing cone. Also, due to the elongated forcing cone, felt recoil will be less drastic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.