National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flashlight on tactical shotgun? YES or NO?
What is your opinion?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Why?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
When I think of putting a light or a laser on a firearm, I always remember the old military saying:
"Tracers work both ways."
Calculate your chances of "illuminating" your target on the first try - then think what would happen if you didn't. Unless you're part of a team and have some backup - you don't want to become the target of the intruders - contrary to popular opinion - the badguys VERY seldom work alone. In a combat situation you don't want to give away your position, until you have a tactical advantage.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Why paint a target on yourself?

I don't know where the intruder is. I know, I'll turn on my light. Now I still don't know where he is but he knows exactly where I am.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Popeye said:
Why paint a target on yourself?

I don't know where the intruder is. I know, I'll turn on my light. Now I still don't know where he is but he knows exactly where I am.

Thats why I'm asking.
I've heard arguments both ways, yours and that it will help to make a positive identification on your target.
Just wanted to get your opinion.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Personally, I am in favor of them. I have cleared a lot of builings, residences and swept fields or alleys looking for bad guys with one attached to my Remington 14" 870. Granted that was law enforcement duty, but I did like the advantage they gave for identifying a target, plus navigating the terrain or building. I see alot of military rifles that are mounted with flashlights now and they are used for building searches, etc.

Although there are some instances where they are not advisable to turn on, the home defense scenario in many cases would lend itself to the lights use:
1. identifying your target
2. clearing the area to be searched
3. Blinding your adversary for tactical advantage if they are suddenly encountered - I hear of many people that attach a light to their home defense handgun for just this purpose.

I don't think there is a real right or wrong answer here, just depends on what situation you are caught in. I like it because you can turn it on if you need to, leave it off if you don't.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SatanzBountyHunter said:
Personally, I am in favor of them. I have cleared a lot of builings, residences and swept fields or alleys looking for bad guys with one attached to my Remington 14" 870. Granted that was law enforcement duty, but I did like the advantage they gave for identifying a target, plus navigating the terrain or building. I see alot of military rifles that are mounted with flashlights now and they are used for building searches, etc.

Although there are some instances where they are not advisable to turn on, the home defense scenario in many cases would lend itself to the lights use:
1. identifying your target
2. clearing the area to be searched
3. Blinding your adversary for tactical advantage if they are suddenly encountered - I hear of many people that attach a light to their home defense handgun for just this purpose.

I don't think there is a real right or wrong answer here, just depends on what situation you are caught in. I like it because you can turn it on if you need to, leave it off if you don't.

Good answer, the light doesn't have to be turned on just because its there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts