National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around at different shotguns recently. Probably not going to buy one until after Christmas but if like to find one that I like. Some fellows on here helped me decide on a bolt action rifle, Ruger American Rimfire, which I like a lot so I figured I'd ask you guys again.

I was looking at the Weatherby PA-08. It's in my price range and seems to be a pretty decent gun. I read some reviews about it and most people seemed to like it quite a bit. I read that it's not very customizable but I wasn't planning on doing that anyway so that's not a big deal to me. Here's a link to the article I read about it: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ger/gu-review-weatherby-pa-08-upland-shotgun/.

My brother has a Remington 870 and I like it quite a bit but I'd like to get something different.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I would look into CZ USA or Benelli if you don't like the 870 rem.

Also if you look at the 870 Wingmaster instead of the 870 express you will be impressed.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Weatherby PA-08. nice looking shotgun comes with 3 choke tubes (IC, M, F), 26" or 28" chrome-lined barrel , 3 inch chamber . $500. for the pump or $800. for semi-auto .
Pretty good value for the money , but i would never own one because i remain faithful to my Mossberg 500 8-shot security 12ga pump-action .
If i can offer you any advice on a shotgun purchase it would be this ... find something that fits you and is comfortable to shoot , good luck and good shooting .

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,881 Posts
I always thought that the PA-08 was a really nice looking shotgun for the money and if I were needing one I would definitely consider buying it. Around here the 20 gauge is selling for $430 and the 12 gauge for $450, but I see that some lower prices may be out there if you shop around.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
i did not know that Weatherby was re-branding a turkish shotgun. I also believe that CZ re-brands turkish shotguns as well.....

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,881 Posts
If I were going to buy a new pump shotgun I'd go with a Remington 870 Wingmaster (1st choice) or a Mossberg 500 (2nd choice). Both are excellent guns and will give a lifetime of excellent performance!!!
I have to agree the Wingmaster is a fine shotgun for a few hundred dollars more than the Weatherby. I have had mine since 1958 and have never had any work done on it.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,965 Posts
i did not know that Weatherby was re-branding a turkish shotgun. I also believe that CZ re-brands turkish shotguns as well.....
CZ shotguns are made in Turkey to specs demanded by CZ, as are most Turkish made shotguns made to spec. The gun makers in the Huglu valley, Turkey will make shotguns of the quality, and to the pricepoint, specified. Kimber offers/offered a $20,000+ side by side shotgun... made in Turkey.

Reactions: DPM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked up some info on the mossberg 500, it is a nice reliable gun and not too expensive. What do you guys like/dislike about it? Do you know what te trigger pull weight is? I read some places that it was 4 and others said up to 9. I like a lighter pull weight but that won't be the deciding factor of the gun that I go with. How does it compare to the Weatherby?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have a 500 I've used for bird hunting a few times. I'm not sure exactly what the trigger pull is. Its smooth, and I'd guess its under 6 pounds. Can't compare it to the new Weatherby's. I have a Japanese (think that's right) made Centurian semiauto I bought from the Augsburg, Germany Rod & Gun back in 1973-74. Its still an excellent gun. I've never had any problem with it - other than maybe hitting doves on a regular basis.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
i much prefer the elevator system in design/function and the tang safety of the mossberg over the remington.

But prefer the ease of field stripping and the quality of the bluing and wood on the wingmaster.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The only shotgun I have any extensive experience with is my Mossberg Maverick 88 12 gauge pump. Wife got it for me while we were still dating, it was only $198 including tax, NICS check, and 2 boxes of target shells. I still have the receipt somewhere lol. It is very similar to the model 500, most of the parts are interchangeable, including barrels and stocks. I have yet to find an aftermarket pump that fits it however, which sucks because I need one lol, not that the part was bad but because I drilled it out for a couple rail sections, mounted a vert grip and light, and figured that shooting hot 3" loads from it in pistol grip config would be ok LOL! It broke the grip and cracked the pump a bit, which is why I need one. I have no doubts that if I wasn't a tard it would have held up a LOT longer.
I have wondered if I could somehow retrofit a nicer 500 pump to it, everyone says the part won't fit, but I'm not sure I couldn't make it work.

At any rate it's been a hell of a shotgun for what it is, and you can't beat the price. I've had top folding stocks on it, M4 collapsible stocks, regular rifle style stock, and it's current configuration, pistol grip.
I have had a red dot sight on it, just for kicks, have since removed it since it's pretty well pointless. It did however look really cool LOL! I currently have an 18.5" barrel with a heat shield on it. Originally it came with a 28" ribbed barrel threaded for choke tubes. I have a modified choke and an extra full extended ported turkey choke for it as well. I actually think I have way more than I think I have for it lol, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Take a peeky at Browning, some of their shotguns can be had for around $600-$800 and they're supposed to be pretty damn sweet ;)

If your pockets are deeper than mine, check out the Benelli M2, it's a semi auto shotgun, VERY popular in 3 gun competition. I know for a fact that Miss Janna Reeves uses one for competition, she has been doing very well. I hear good things about their M4 line as well.

Nothing wrong with the 870, it's a nice gun at a nice price. I however absolutely hate the pump release. Located on the front end of the trigger guard, and while it may seem convenient, wait until you operate it in the middle of winter. It will pinch the hell out of you! Perhaps I'm alone in that one, I haven't heard anyone else complain of it but it's something to think about.

Not sure about the Weatherby, it sounds nice, no experience with it though. I will say that Weatherby isn't known for making junk.

Hope I helped you dude!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.