National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a New England SB1 12GA single shot 28” and it says 3” full on the barrel. I’ve never had a shotgun so I’m interested in what all shells i can buy for it. All types and sizes.

Attachments

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,269 Posts
That 3" marking on the barrel is the MAXIMUM length shells you can safely fire from that gun. So you can shoot 2-3/4" and 3" shotgun shells, but not 3-1/2" shells.

Edit: The FULL marking means the barrel has a full choke. Do NOT shoot SLUG rounds or steel shot. Only shoot lead shot.

·
Aim true !
10,263 Posts
If the barrel was forged as a full choke. It is not changeable.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
You can shoot “foster” type of lead slugs through any choke but will group best through a modified or improved cylinder. Don’t shoot steel shot out of that barrel. Any 2 3/4“ or 3” 12 gauge rounds your store has.
1DCE50C5-4D30-4B4F-BCA2-FEAD487B6821.jpeg

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
And you need to understand that the length of the shell (2-3/4, 3, etc.) is the FIRED length of the empty hull.
You will not want to fire more than 1 3" thumper in that gun, I can guarantee it.
Stick to basic 2-3/4" loads; they're available in a variety of shot sizes for a wide range of uses.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m still cool with it for $99. I bought a mossberg 702 plinkster 22LR and this shotgun. I was going to buy a Mossberg 88 combo (has both barrels offered as a double kit) but I don’t intend to shoot the shotgun much and this is under half the price of the 88 so I figured a single load and shot hammer type would do. I’ve only put $10 down on it so i could just not buy it, but can’t beat the price. Anyone disagree? I still say it's a good deal, just wish i could change the choke.

·
Aim true !
10,263 Posts
The plinkster will be fun. But keep cleaning supplies on hand. They get funky real fast. I found this out with my 715's. Same thing they just have AR style furniture. The actions need frequent cleaning when shooting them.

Reactions: One1

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I keep repeating myself because it's true. A 12ga pump shotgun (with adj or replaceable chokes) is the most versatile gun around. In my opinion it is well worth the extra hundred bucks.

Whats wrong with a single shot shotgun?

Whats wrong with a single shot 22 rifle? Do you own any?
Whats wrong with any single shot rifle? Do you own any?
What wrong with a single shot handgun? Do you own any?

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I think a more universal choke would be modified. I think you can shoot certain types of steel shot. If you want to shoot slugs cut 6" off the end of your barrel.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
I keep repeating myself because it's true. A 12ga pump shotgun (with adj or replaceable chokes) is the most versatile gun around. In my opinion it is well worth the extra hundred bucks.

Whats wrong with a single shot shotgun?

Whats wrong with a single shot 22 rifle? Do you own any?
Whats wrong with any single shot rifle? Do you own any?
What wrong with a single shot handgun? Do you own any?

I do own a single shot .22lr
I used to own a single shot rifle - Ruger No.1 RSI in .243
I used to own a single shot handgun - Remington XP-100 in 7mmBR

All three are scary accurate, nothing wrong with a single shot

·
Aim true !
10,263 Posts
I like that Stamps.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Stamps i would have dropped a benji on that too!

Single shot .22 1 anschutz
Single shot rifles 3 muzzle loaders and 3 cartridge breech loaders
Single shot shotgun 1 break action stevens
Single shot pistol 1 muzzle loader

Nothing wrong with them and like every other gun it has it's place.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
cut the barrel back 2 inches, install the bead.....and you have a cylinder bore. Of more use for my needs than a full choke.

i like the old single shot shotguns for what they are..........simple, inexpensive on the used market, very trim with clean lines, wood stocks, and the simplicity of operation.

nostalgic i guess........i own several......and always have an eye out for some older "bargins" out there....still looking for a cheap 28 ga......

i don't need any more single shots....but since when has that stopped a gun nut?:cornut:

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
369 Posts
My mom has a Remington single shot .22 target rifle. Nice, long, barrel, quality peep sight, good trigger, talk about a precise rifle. Fun just to see how far you can push your marksmanship with it. Wouldn't mind having one for myself, but can't seem to find one around here, and she won't part with hers any time soon.

·
Aim true !
10,263 Posts
I have 2 vintage 22 rifles. A Steven 86C and a Springfield 87C. Same co actually back then. The 86C is a bolt action the 87C is a semi-auto. Just got the 87C. They both are tack drivers though. I like the long barreled older guns.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Gun broker, Coal. Go to shotguns, then select pump and then set max price at $125. I bought 3 of the 20 ga. I got a similar 12 ga for $80. Timing is everything.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
My mom has a Remington single shot .22 target rifle. Nice, long, barrel, quality peep sight, good trigger, talk about a precise rifle. Fun just to see how far you can push your marksmanship with it. Wouldn't mind having one for myself, but can't seem to find one around here, and she won't part with hers any time soon.
So look online; lots of places to search.........

·
Aim true !
10,263 Posts
Yeah going to check into GB then. After i get a newer vehicle. The wife is finally cracking down on my gun spending lol. That's why i did a trade on the last 4 lol. The 22 savage and 30/30 i was going to flip. It's not going to happen and she knows it. I have a grand now put aside towards a vehicle. So i got a start at least.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts