National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I have carried a sidearm since Moby Dick was a minnow. I am by no means old, but when I was a boy the Dead Sea was just "tragically ill"!
After spending 57 years in Kentucky, we moved to Upstate New York 3-1/2 years ago to be close to our only child, her husband, and out 5 grandsons. I had to sell 19 guns in order to move.......it was painful, like selling children! It's been 3+ years and I still have not secured a CCL. What I have gotten accustomed to is a shotgun for home defense. I chose a pump over an auto for the simple reason is that they are fail safe, and the sound of a shotgun being "racked" is unmistakable.....especially in the dark.
The purpose of this post is to talk about the ammo for my pumps. I know that many will talk about "#2 buck" to "00 buck" for home defense. The problem with these rounds is that the cylindrical pellets over penetrate sheet rock. In other words, there is an opportunity to hit a family member by accident in an adjacent room when shooting at a perpetrator. PROBLEM SOLVED. I found a manufacturer that makes a nifty high brass round that has (40) teardrop shaped projectiles that run out at 1,800 fps. The projectiles tumble. It is tough on flesh, but on sheet rock they will penetrate one layer without passing through the second layer and entering the adjacent room. Good to know if your primary is a shotgun!

·
Registered
19,461 Posts
#4 buck, not to be confused with #4 shot, is one of the most popular home-defense buckshot sizes on the market today for 12 gauge shotgun owners. The reason? It’s devastating at close range, but doesn’t penetrate nearly as much as 000 or 00 buck. #4 buck will definitely kill a large deer, so humans wearing normal clothing won’t stand much of a chance at close range. At longer ranges, #4 buck may not be ideal for bringing down or neutralizing a threatening human or other large animal.

Home Defense Use

What makes #4 buck so popular for home defense? Penetration versus power is the scale of balance in home defense. Too much penetration, and you’re going to go through your target and damage property or the people behind it. Too little power, and you’re less likely to stop someone if they are set on reaching you.

There are many different buckshot sizes and uses, so it's good to know that #4 buckshot caliber offers a good balance between number of pellets, pellet size, penetration and stopping power. With a pellet count commonly between 21 and 24 of .24-inch lead balls traveling at about 1,200 feet per second, a serious impression will be made on your target. When comparing 4 buckshot vs. 00 buckshot, #4 is somewhat less powerful than 00 buck, which is used by most law enforcement agencies in their shotguns. However, they are more likely to engage their targets at longer range than the average homeowner.

·
Premium Member
7,011 Posts
#4 buck, -#2 buck, #2 shot -#4 shot at close range ( 0-25’ ) would be devastating. Pumpgun action says you better get out of here, in no uncertain terms.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just use my fist of fury lol 👊😅

·
Aim true !
11,549 Posts
9mm or 45acp. 😁

Reactions: guncritic.com

·
Super Moderator
14,623 Posts
My preferred home defense shotgun is the oldest 16 or 12 ga double beater that still functions properly, loaded with #6 birdshot. There's not a human born that can take a load of #6s at spitting distance and still have any ill intent. Secondly, it's going to sit in an evidence room and rust until you get it back, depending on where you live, get it back at all.

Thirdly, It's just my old duck gun and it's not tactical or black or any of those bad things.

Fourth and lastly, it is what I handle best.

Alan

PS. most home defense situations are only going to involve one human, and one of an assortment of other varmintry.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
riot gun in the house and in the truck......using 00 reduced recoil loads.....i have pattern tested out to 35 yards and am content i will get a significant piece of the threat if not outright put the threat down.

everyone has a favorite load and size for their specs/needs.

some depts do still use 4 buck for the cities......the riot control purpose was to fire 4 buck into the pavement in front of rioters and let it bounce into the feet/ankles......that was taught many years back.....times have changed drastically and i have not heard of the practice of such methods in many, many years.

i recently acquired some more 4 buck i need to pattern test. i would like to try some flite control 1 buck i read about but not sure they even still make it. And i am still not totally sold on the flite control/tight pattern concept........ i actually appreciate a larger pattern for moving targets and low light.........

still.....the 1 buck has caught my eye......looks like a decent compromise in pellet count of the 4 buck and energy of the 00 buck.....

the wife and daughter still use 410's with No. 6 loads.......they do not want more gun or horsepower for their needs and capabilities in the house.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,923 Posts
I use #4 shot, NOT #4 Buck, because my longest 'home defense' shot will be about 12 feet.

·
Premium Member
7,011 Posts
One day I was out pheasant hunting with my .410-#6 shot. I stumbled across a wounded deer. It had been hit with an arrow and I guess it ran off and wasn’t recovered. I didn’t want it to suffer and felt I should put it down but as I said I only had the .410. I shot it at about 2’ in the back of the neck at the base of the skull. That round went completely through the neck and made a hole the diameter of a golf ball. Don’t underestimate the power of a small bore or the kenetic energy of #6 shot.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sorry for your move to upstate NY. I moved from upstate NY 5 years ago to TN. The best thing I ever did. But thank you for the shotgun info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for your move to upstate NY. I moved from upstate NY 5 years ago to TN. The best thing I ever did. But thank you for the shotgun info.
Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and Nashville.........some of my favorite vacationing spots for over four decades. Take good care of them for me.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Well, I have been using the #2 buck for my entire life actually. I knew that they are kind of dangerous from the aspect that you have just described, however I thought that there is nothing better, and that there is no other option actually. Could you please give me some contacts for the manfucaturer that is making those rounds? I am ready to buy a great quantity of them. I am that kind of a person that is crazy about my home security, as I want all of my family memebers to be ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts