National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is a guy explaining how shorter barrels = less velocity on youtube begins at 12:07

so i asked a similar question prob on a different gun forum about the size of the gun ie compact, subcompact, and full size. does this mean smaller guns are weaker? the difference maybe only half an inch but that half an inch makes a lot of difference when it comes to velocity.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Lots of things come into play with velocities in revolvers.

How loose is the chamber? 38 special doesn’t created a ton of pressure so blowby around the brass is more prevalent.

How big is the cylinder gap? The lager the gap, the more pressure escapes before it ever enters the barrel, and a lot of it.

How tight is the bore? Takes more pressure to push a bullet through a tight bore.

How wide is the rifling? The wider the rifling, the more friction it creates between the barrel and the bullet because it literally cuts into the bullet.

Two 2” 38 specials from two different manufacturers may have drastically different velocities. Likewise, two different brands of ammo may have drastically different results based on the burn rate of the powder the manufacturer uses. A 1/2” may make a difference with one ammo and none in the next.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
life is full of compromises.....barrel length is one of them.....longer for ballistic advantage or shorter for concealment advantage. in my case. i am not going to lose any sleep over velocity.

then you can compromise and argue about sight radius, ergonomics, capacity, caliber, recoil management, weight, etc, etc.....a never-ending series of arguments and compromises.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
life is full of compromises.....barrel length is one of them.....longer for ballistic advantage or shorter for concealment advantage. in my case. i am not going to lose any sleep over velocity.

then you can compromise and argue about sight radius, ergonomics, capacity, caliber, recoil management, weight, etc, etc.....a never-ending series of arguments and compromises.

·
Registered
14,558 Posts
Shorter barrels have bigger fireballs.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,158 Posts
^^^ I own 1 revolver chambered in .357 mag. The muzzle flash from it when shooting .357 is.... AMAZING!
It puts an ear to ear grin on my ugly bearded mug every time. 😁

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yes, you lose MV, with a shorter barrel. In self defense situations, you also gain a couple benefits. First, a short barreled gun is LOUD, most criminals don't want to draw attention to their activities. Second, the flash(or fireball) is bright, and at close range, can be very intimidating, even if you miss. So there IS a place for shorter barreled firearms.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Yes, you lose MV, with a shorter barrel. In self defense situations, you also gain a couple benefits. First, a short barreled gun is LOUD, most criminals don't want to draw attention to their activities. Second, the flash(or fireball) is bright, and at close range, can be very intimidating, even if you miss. So there IS a place for shorter barreled firearms.
Heads up, OP was banned this morning.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,665 Posts
Handguns are a quick-fix measure until you can get to your rifle.

Reactions: Stamps6

·
AZHerper
4,376 Posts
^^^ I own 1 revolver chambered in .357 mag. The muzzle flash from it when shooting .357 is.... AMAZING!
It puts an ear to ear grin on my ugly bearded mug every time. 😁
I have a Taurus 605SH2 which is a 16-ounce titanium .357 magnum with a 2-inch barrel. With "full-bore" .357 magnums the report, muzzle flash, and recoil are all very stout (you might even say vicious). Anyway, I have carpal tunnel syndrome so my grip is a lot weaker nowadays so I have it loaded with .38 Special +P's which are way milder but still plenty adequate for defense.

·
Premium Member
7,178 Posts
Even a .22 WinMag will give you some decent muzzle flash in low light. Here’s my AR in sunlight.
2109AE01-31F2-4CED-8684-DC18441ADE7F.jpeg

·
Registered
14,558 Posts
I'm sure it's very disorientating in the dark too, like a hand held flash bang. Probably for both parties but hopefully less so for the shooter.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
I'm sure it's very disorientating in the dark too, like a hand held flash bang. Probably for both parties but hopefully less so for the shooter.
I don’t think most people realize just how loud firing any gun indoors, especially in a small room, actually is. Your ears instantly close up and you won’t hear anything going on around you over the ringing. I can imagine if your eyes were adjusted to the dark, flash blindness might be an issue.

·
Registered
14,558 Posts
I don’t think most people realize just how loud firing any gun indoors, especially in a small room, actually is. Your ears instantly close up and you won’t hear anything going on around you over the ringing. I can imagine if your eyes were adjusted to the dark, flash blindness might be an issue.
I used to be my dads guinea pig meaning i usually test fired any guns he got in on trade or that he fixed. In the front of the shop was a semi enclosed area, deck above, wall to your left and railing and beams to support the deck above to your right. You had about 20 feet behind you and beyond that was semi enclosed as well. I used to step off the pad into the open to shoot but one day i stayed under the deck, it may have been raining. I don't recall what gun or caliber but it was a semi auto handgun and i did a mag dump to test it for function. Big mistake. I couldn't hear anything for at least a week. it felt like my head was inside a bucket and had bad ringing in my ears. I've had the ringing ever since and that was like 30 years ago. Sometimes the ringing isn't noticeable but other times it's real annoying. Now i usually wear two forms of hearing protection, a set of cheap foam plus with muffs.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
I accidentally fired my 500 magnum 4" with a bear load without my ears in. I did this outside about 25 ft from the side of a 60' long metal barn. Ears instantly got hot and closed up. For 3 days I could only hear high pitched sounds out of that one side of my head. It was like nails on a chalk board. It was about a week before I was back to normal. Fortunately, I was not in the metal barn or there would have been permanent damage.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I accidentally fired my 500 magnum 4" with a bear load without my ears in. I did this outside about 25 ft from the side of a 60' long metal barn. Ears instantly got hot and closed up. For 3 days I could only hear high pitched sounds out of that one side of my head. It was like nails on a chalk board. It was about a week before I was back to normal. Fortunately, I was not in the metal barn or there would have been permanent damage.
that is why i am cautious with the 327 magnum....shot it once without ears while at the gravel pit.......it brought an immediate stop to shooting and felt like an ice pic was shoved in my ear......

the 327 is a heck of a round, but if i touched one off when in need while in a building/room without hearing protection...as in self defense.....i am afraid the noise/concussion would actually disable me and probably double me over or to my knees after one shot.

it seems to be far louder than a 44 or 357.....and operates at a higher pressure.
not much is talked about or made about how loud the 327 is.....to me, it is indeed a factor.....more so than recoil, energy, or capabilities.....its a huge negative factor.

Reactions: Philmo11
1 - 20 of 27 Posts