National Gun Forum banner

Shooting Range laws?

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Dahlinger_USMC_0311 
#1 ·
I'm a new member to the site, but most definitely not new to weapons. I was an infantryman in the Marines Corps for 8 years, 3 of those as a weapons and tactics instructor, and I am now in college and doing a research paper on opening an outdoor, multipurpose shooting range, targeted toward the advanced training of local police officials and civil and state defense, like the National Gaurd. My question is where can I find the laws and regulations governing this type of endeavor? Also the criteria for building a range that supports high powered rifles and automatic weapons? Outside of going to the local courthouse, which I plan to today, I have looked for laws and regulations online and at the library, both on and off campus, with little to no information. Any help will be much appreciated!

-Dustin Dahlinger
SJN Student Veterans Ass., President

#2 ·
#6 · (Edited)
contact a well-established gun range..........ask.

the first thing i thought of was the Texas Health and Safety Code.....i did a quick search and located section 756.041 for outdoor ranges....this appears to be the basic guide.

section 756.042 as to construction is as follows......
Sec. 756.042. CONSTRUCTION STANDARDS. The owner of an outdoor shooting
range shall construct and maintain the range according to standards that are at
least as stringent as the standards printed in the National Rifle Association
range manual.
sounds like the NRA will be the basic guide........lt is a private business so besides these guidelines you will create your own guidelines.....it is your business. Of course the State will also want to license you in any business to tax you.

there may be some federal regulations as well concerning the EPA and a few other alaphabet agencies....i know there is as far as airborne lead involving indoor ranges. Anyways, check with some ranges. read the health and safety code as to population, liability, and penalities in that specific section.

#7 ·
Yes I just talked to a gentleman who owns a range similar to what I want to do in Austin and he gave me the same info! Thank you for your response sir! Much appreciated.
Also for anyone looking for the same type of information you need to contact your local city council about zoning and noise pollution laws. Other than these things, along with deputy's post, there are not many laws governing the build up of a shooting range. Thank you again to all the gentleman and/or ladies that have made attempt to help me out here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.