National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I own a 3 Number Combination Lock Sentry Gun Safe and I cannot get it to open. Here is what it does: I enter the combination and the handle turns very hard; to the point that it will release and spin a 360. What sucks is I have probably opened and closed the thing probably 25 times in the last two years. (I was deployed to Iraq). So how do I get to open? I am ready to take a cutting torch to it because it is Moose season here in Alaska and I need my 300 Win Mag. Thank you:mad5:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Hello,
I own a 3 Number Combination Lock Sentry Gun Safe and I cannot get it to open. Here is what it does: I enter the combination and the handle turns very hard; to the point that it will release and spin a 360. What sucks is I have probably opened and closed the thing probably 25 times in the last two years. (I was deployed to Iraq). So how do I get to open? I am ready to take a cutting torch to it because it is Moose season here in Alaska and I need my 300 Win Mag. Thank you:mad5:

Did you forget the combination? Or is it possible you are not operating it correctly. Turing the dial in the correct direction and the number of times around to the next number.

If you are sure of the combo and have it correct. I would call Sentry and ask for their advice. You will most likely have to prove you are the owner of the safe to get them to open it.

Any local locksmith will most likley be able to open a Sentry. But again you may have to prove you are the owner and its is not a stolen safe.

I would never take a torch to my safe. It should be an easy matter to get the company to instruct you how to open it.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Now that's a Tough pill to swallow. No locksmiths around? I would call the company and see what they say. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I called the company and was on hold for over 10 minutes, I have the right combination;I opened it up a week ago. The handle is hard to turn it will open about 1/4 of the way and then it releases and spins a 360. I think the system inside the door needs maintenance or it is somehow jammed. I dont want to pay a locksmith!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I've sure never heard of that happening the way you describe. I have to wonder if the works are just gummed up or if some kind of foreign object got inside. Or, if there are actual mechanical issues. Any evidence that someone messed with it -- maybe tried to force it -- while you were gone?

Sounds like you may need a good locksmith whether you want one or not!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The safe sat in the corner while I was gone and the only people that might have played with it were my kids (5 and 7) they dont even look at it most times. Then moved it to another room while I did some dry wall work for my wife; apparently my house needs a Scrap Book room. I might just have to eat it and get a lock smith. I was just wondering if this has happened to some one else out there and if there is/was a way to un-jamb or release the mechanism. I understand the issue with proving ownership and all; you people dont know me at all and for all you know I am a low life thief. I was just inquiring before I spent some money on a locksmith. I know what will happen the guy will come in and open it in 10minutes and charge me 75-100 dollars. Thanks for your help

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
If you moved it maybe a long gun came loose and is resting on the internal mechanism.

Try tilting the safe backwards and trying again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it. I had to load it in my truck and take it over to him. He tilted it back and messed with it for about 5 minutes and of course it opened. He only charged me $20.00 bucks. I took the panel off of the inside of the door and here is the problem. The bottom lug on the open side of the door was not centered and it would drag in the hole to the point it bent the attatching rod. So a pair of channel locks and Im back in business. Thanks to every one for the help

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Mystery solved, and rather cheaply.

Now, If you want to come over to my place and put my safe in the back of a truck, I'll get a big snack and watch.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Mystery solved, and rather cheaply.

Now, If you want to come over to my place and put my safe in the back of a truck, I'll get a big snack and watch.
I think the advice here is to bolt that sucker down.

You're lucky someone else with a truck and a friend didn't visit while you were away.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
The safe weighs almost 3,000 lbs, but there are four, 3/4" lag bolts that go 8" deep into the concrete below. The lighter the safe, the more important the bolts. Just a suggestion for the future...

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Sounds like you got off very easy, $20 is a very fair price. Now you know what to watch out for and can lube the lugs and fix it the next time before it gets to that point.

Glad to hear your problem is resolved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts