National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so im trying to figure out the feasability of a magazine loaded semi auto 12 gauge pistol. Im refering to the 1 3/4 rounds that have come out for home defense. I searched around and the only firearm i was able to locate that was magazine fed 12 gauge through the handle was the Mag7. But the problem as im aware is the size. You can barely fit your hand around the grip. But even that gun is a pump action. Those rounds are also on the smaller side. i believe 60 mm? i think normal 12 gauge is 70mm roughly? Anyways I was looking at psi for 9mm and in comparison the 1 3/4 loads psi is very low around 14-15 thousand? I honestly am not a gun smith and have only gotten into guns in the last two years but I was wondering if there is any reason you could build a semi auto pistol specifically designated for that size round? any input is most appreciated. thank you.

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
Shotgun pistols are illegal. The only exceptions are things like the judge that have rifled barrels for 45 colt and shoot .410 as well. Any smooth bore shotgun has to have a barrel at least 18" in length and must be at least 26" in overall length or it's a NFA weapon.

Reactions: Fitasc Shooter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be rifled for slugs. Also never designed or made to be fired from the shoulder. Or have a foregrip and would be under 18 or 26 inch barrel length. I'm not arguing the practical use rather is there any specific reason one couldnt be created. The mossberg shockwave by federal atf standards is not considered a shotgun. So I figured why not an semi auto 12 gauge pistol. (Non revolver)

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Remington has a semi version of the shockwave (in addition to their pump version)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know and im stoked becuase ohio is changing its legal definition to match the federal one in march. so makes those firearms easier to get in the state. but is there any reason you couldnt build one with a slide and magazine in grip?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
those don't have buttstocks. they were never manufactured with buttstocks. according to atf do be a shotgun it has to have a stock. the second image is not a stock but an arm brace. its like doing an im not technically touching you with your finger right next to someone face lol kinda. but those are both pump action. and I think they are smooth bore. but yep totally legal. kinda like the black aces firearm.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
It would be rifled for slugs. Also never designed or made to be fired from the shoulder. Or have a foregrip and would be under 18 or 26 inch barrel length. I'm not arguing the practical use rather is there any specific reason one couldnt be created. The mossberg shockwave by federal atf standards is not considered a shotgun. So I figured why not an semi auto 12 gauge pistol. (Non revolver)
To what point? At self defense range no shot gun load is going to spread out into the cloud of pellets that most people think it will. It will also be slow. It will take time to bring the muzzle back on target after the recoil. In the mean time the bad guy is racking off round after round at you with his little 9mm.

If you want a big bullet with controllable recoil then get a 1911. If you want pellets then I am pretty sure you can get snake shot in 45ACP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly becuase why not lol we've created pistols that shoot 410 rounds, and compact desert eagles. I just think it's an interesting idea and have been trying to figure out if its feasible. I thought about using the 1911 as a frame to build off of and adjust sizes accordingly. Which by the way bn if you havent seen the new 50 cal 1911 that's come out it's awesome! But no the reason I ask is because we've made short pump action shotguns, sawed off double barrel pistol grip shotguns, theres even a 12 gauge revolver rifle that was designed in russia for military police. But never seen a typical semi auto magazine fed pistol chambered for 12 gauge. Especially now that we have commercially available short shells. I do understand the fact theres not a large practical application for it I just think the idea is interesting. If you can build it why not? Lol

·
Registered
662 Posts
Simple solutions in firearms. It's what they call a "mutual exclusive", basically there are none.

Like "easy job", "military intelligence" , "honest politician", and "equal justice", they just don't exist.

You're looking for pistol which hasn't been created, to fire a round that's not proven, in circumstances where it
would be physically unlikely to do so, against a threat where it would have questionable effect. Well, good luck with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The question wasnt whether it was practical or not. Whether there is any reason it is not feasible was what i was enquiring. They now make colored transparent lower receivers for ar15 (tennessee arms). I want to know if theres any laws of physics or lack of space, lack of materials that can handle it, that would make it so you couldnt produce a firearm in that manner. So far i havent seen anything that would imply not but becuase im far less knowledgable then many people i figured i would pose the question and find out if there is something im missing and maybe learn something new in the process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts