National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Link works for me, you need cable or DSL for it to work, plus a good processor.
I saw it once before. Scary- the dude could have died if the bullet came 1" over to the left. Good advice is not to shoot at cast iron or rocks or anything hard enough to cause the bullet to come back your way, or anybody's way.
A 50 BMG round is about the worst thing you'd want hitting you.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Shooting at rocks and steel is DANGEROUS. I'll be he didn't have enough disance between him and the target. I will be that the target was flat and not angled down to deflect the bullet into the dirt. SCARY!

G

·
dogsoldier said:
Shooting at rocks and steel is DANGEROUS. I'll be he didn't have enough disance between him and the target. I will be that the target was flat and not angled down to deflect the bullet into the dirt. SCARY!
Somebody smarter and better at math than me could use a stopwatch to record the time of bullet flight, use an average 50 bmg velocity and calculate the distance he was shooting at.

That said, I have to agree with the person what said, "Most people do not have the experience with the big guns to be safe". I have done a lot of shooting over the years but have never pulled the trigger on a 50 bmg. I have never been around people that have much recreational experience with that large of a caliber either, so that places me squarely in the center of the group that does not have the experience to know how to really be safe with bullets that large. That said, and from what I do know of the 50 bmg I would have to say that I would not feel comfortable recreationaly shooting steel at less than 500 yards with one. Even at that I would feel better at 800 or so but that is all just WAG (Wild assed guess). If I were to invest in one I believe I would also invest some time in research to find out more about the caliber and what it is really capable of.

After all, I bet that guys medical bills (to surgically remove the undershorts from his rear) are not cheap!

Jon K.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Okay, I am bored, so I tried to time the shot. This is only a SWAG. The best time I get is 1.2 seconds. A military 50 BMG goes at about 3000fps. So here is the math:

the formula is: time X velocity = distance

Travel time 1.2 sec X 3000 fps = 3600 feet total travel

3600/2 (to find the distance to the target) = 1800 feet

1800 feet / 3 = 600 yards.

G

·
Well I certainly can not argue with the logic of that math. but looking at the picture the berm sure does not look like it is nearly that far away.

If it was indeed 600 yards them my 500 yard "seat of pants safe feeling" would be WAY off......!!

Jon K.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I agree that the berm looks closer. It maybe just an optical illusion from the camera. But also with no point of reference it is really hard tell. I still believe the target was flat to the shooter. That would cause the bullet to flip out and do weird things. The genral rule of thumb is te angle of deflection is equal to the angle of incident. That means, all things being equal, a projectile hitting an object at say 45 degrees, will defelect at 45 degrees. There are WAAAAAYYYY too many vaiables for anyone to bet their lives on this little tid bit. Like I said, the target was probably perfectly flat to the shooting plane, the bullet whipped back at a high trajectory, landed in front and bounced up almost hitting the guy. So the lesson for the day boys and girls when setting up targets, angle them towards you slightly so the bullets go down and not up.

G

·
dogsoldier said:
It maybe just an optical illusion from the camera.
Yes, that certianly could be the case. Inquiring minds may never know.. :)

dogsoldier said:
So the lesson for the day boys and girls when setting up targets, angle them towards you slightly so the bullets go down and not up.
On our private range we have several commercially made steel targets and I have shot on many more. They are all made to angle down to deflect the rounds into the ground. Shooting steel targets (or rocks or anything else that is "hard" can be dangerous and should be done with caution).

Recreational shooting is far different than war time shooting. When at war you shoot at whatever targets present themselves regardless of angle and so forth. I wonder how many soldiers have had close calls with ricochets from the Ma-duce??

·
Banned
818 Posts
The video isn't working for me, but I'm guessing it's the same video that's been posted on every gun site known to man. The guy getting his hearing protection knocked off by the bullet. Oh yeah, and just so you know, it's NOT the whole bullet riccocheting back at the shooter. It's lead splatter. If it was the whole bullet, the hearing protection would have been done for.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Jon-Anvil_Arms said:
On our private range we have several commercially made steel targets and I have shot on many more. They are all made to angle down to deflect the rounds into the ground. Shooting steel targets (or rocks or anything else that is "hard" can be dangerous and should be done with caution).

Recreational shooting is far different than war time shooting. When at war you shoot at whatever targets present themselves regardless of angle and so forth. I wonder how many soldiers have had close calls with ricochets from the Ma-duce??
Heck, even soft back stops can come back at you. At an indoor range that I haunt, they hold informal gun games which usually draw 10 or 20 shooters. Those that are not on the firing line are to stand back away from the shooting cubes. I was standing there jaw boning with another guy when I hear the shot then see his face go white, he doubled over and went down on one knee. A bunch of us pulled him down and rolled him over. The was a small entry mark in his pants by his fly. Seems the bullet that went down range went wild hitting the conrete floor shattering the bullet sending the jacket back. It smacked the poor guy right in the left testicle. The bullet jacket was stuck in his shorts. He was unhurt, scared to death, but ended up with one heck of a bruise on his privates. (Or so he said. I didn't want to look) It can happen any time, no matter what you do. Need to stay sharp when on the range.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i have fired my atleast 800 rds thru my each of my .50s and im still wary everytime i pull the trigger. im pretty good with em but i usually warn everybody to move away just in case sumthin goes wrong.

G

·
Phew, thats nuts! I learned my lesson on how ricochet worked at a much younger age with a pellet gun haha. But it can still happen no matter what you do, freaky to say the least.

G

·
Yup thas a pretty scary video...been round for ages and its not the only one (well porb the only .50 cal one).

Ive seen another one thats a Marine with a bolt action, probably M40 cant remember, pretty much exact same thing happens. Actually theres about three or so such videos floating around, can be bothered trying to find em now but their around.

Turns me off guns just a little heh...dodgy as but hey thats what happens when you play with explosives.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.