National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you seen those plans for secret rooms in your home? You could keep valuables there or just hide form the Religious people that come knocking on your doors!

One of the plans involved a staircase the could be raised or lowered to allow you to enter a small room under the staircase. I have seen bookcases that would open to a room in back of a wall of books. A safe could be kept there.

If you were building a new home it would be easy to alter the plans to make a false room to keep your guns!

Ever had the desire or actually built a secret room?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have a secret room right under the stairs in my home. it also serves as my reloading room.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
owtlaw said:
I have a secret room right under the stairs in my home. it also serves as my reloading room.
Is it only accessible via a secret door??

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you consider a pile of junk 8ft high in front of it. :D

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Funny you mention "hiding from the religious people". The very first time my wife cleaned my AR15, some representatives of a local church happened by looking to spread the word. Now she says she just wasn't thinking when she went to the door with the rifle still in her hands...

In all seriousness, I would like to have a safe room in my house, but Casa de Gunrunner is just to small for one.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have a secret room up in our attic, of all places. But its used to store seasonal clothing, photo albums, papers, etc. It is air conditioned but not heated. I suppose it could be used as a gun room since its insulated and built with 1/2" plywood on both sides but its not convenient to go up those folding stairs very often.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Not yet! But remember in the movie Tremors, the Gummers have that awesome basement room with walls lined with guns?!?!? That's what we want to build when we buy our land............ You're all welcome when the SHTF!!!! *giggle* :lol:

G

·
I've been in homes with secret rooms, they're a great idea. So are floor safes under carpet or furniture.
It would be hard to make a secret room in an existing house unless you had a lot of extra space.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before I had my gun safe, three homes ago, I ripped out all the closet shelves and hangers and rebuilt them. When I did so I constructed shoe racks in the bottom of the closets. I had put in a sliding panel that was held in place by a drywall screw. It was finished with a molding strip so you could not see it was removable. You could take out the screw and pull out the panel and there was a carpeted box that would hold 6-10 handguns. I had that installed in three closets and kept all but one handgun in there. In the master closet I had constructed a 10 inch box in the corner that went floor to ceiling. It was used to brace double hangers for clothes on both sides so it appeared to be a permanent fixture in the closet. the lower portion of one side had a panel that could be removed, again with the removal of a drywall screw and that is where I stored my rifles.

Nobody going through the house would have a clue that these hiding spots were in the closets. They were all painted to match the closet and just looked to be a permanent part of the closet structure. Again I used molding to hide any exposed cracks that would lead someone to believe there was a hidden compartment.

You can do this in any home and there are many places to put compartments. Any safe will attract attention. Hidden compartments will not attract any attention, but they are exposed to fire, where a safe may provide some protection.

G

·
I had a good sized - maybe 8X12 - secret room with concealed door, 2 houses ago. I liked it, and would sometimes watch TV in it.

It was a very old place, and I suspect the room might have been built with the house, so the family could hide from hostile Indians.

Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts