National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let a friend use a rifle a while back and just told him to clean it up after he was done. I think he used a stiff bore brush on the inside of the BCG as there are small scratches inside. It doesn't seem to be through the finish and my fingernail doesn't actually catch on any as I slide it down the inside wall, but I can feel the grooves. I have shot it since noticing the scratches and had no issues but I am concerned about future wear on the BCG and if I should expect any malfunctions sooner than later. I don't know how far into the BCG the scratches go, possibly all the way past the firing pin. Just wanted other opinions and wanted to hear if anyone had any similar experiences. Rifle is a DDM4 PDW if that makes any difference.

Attachments

·
Aim true !
10,285 Posts
I do not loan friends my guns. I let them shoot them when im along. Not to be a prick, But i hope you learned an lesson. Now on to your BCG. It will be fine. If the scratches are bothering you. Buff them with some mothers or flitz polish.

·
Registered
971 Posts
After 10,000 rounds get back to us with how the rifle is doing. Those scratches are nothing but as mentioned if they concern you buff them out. You are not going to wear a BCG out polishing it nor will you remove any significant metal.

Ron

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't get this 'lending' of stuff. I had people ask all the time if they could 'borrow' my Harley, or my truck. NO! I'll lend easily replaced stuff all day long...circular saws, hammers, a cup of sugar...but if it had a loan on it, no way! That by itself doesn't include firearms, however, the liability of lending a firearm to someone is too great in other terms. Those terms might only be the guilt of them having a negligent discharge which caused something serious to happen. They are welcome to use it when I'm with it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I don't get this 'lending' of stuff. I had people ask all the time if they could 'borrow' my Harley, or my truck. NO! I'll lend easily replaced stuff all day long...circular saws, hammers, a cup of sugar...but if it had a loan on it, no way! That by itself doesn't include firearms, however, the liability of lending a firearm to someone is too great in other terms. Those terms might only be the guilt of them having a negligent discharge which caused something serious to happen. They are welcome to use it when I'm with it.
My truck, guns, Harley absolutely not. Anymore I am even reluctant to loan tools because people tend to forget where they got them. Then I end up asking for my own stuff back.

Ron

·
Live Free
2,879 Posts
If I am not willing to give it away I do not loan it out. Keeps things simple that way.

I don’t see much for concern on that BCG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was with this person. I was not watching him like a hawk. I trust him with at least the operation of firearms and I assumed he wanted to go above and beyond when cleaning the rifle. We were sending a lot of rounds down range and while the shooting occurred, he must have cleaned it with what he had at his station. I was simply asking if I should be worried about any potential damage. Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
13,212 Posts
Are you sure your buddy caused this or could it have been caused just from shooting it? Moving parts tend to get scratched up especially when there is a lack of oil or and abundance of loose dirt and carbon.

Reactions: Wag

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe it was done by some forceful cleaning. I'm not the most experienced shooter but I do have a pretty high round count with similar systems and I've never seen anything consistent with these markings come from shooting. I asked him about it yesterday night and he said he used a bore brush.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think he tried, that's what mattered. I don't have a high enough round count ton my AR's to know whether it's bad, but if it still runs a mag or three without difficulty I'd say you won't have to burn and pillage his house in retribution.

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Two things I don't loan out....my truck and my wife, both are to easy to throw a rod in. :lol::lol:.....It's a joke in case my wife reads this. :lol:

Your BCG is fine.
People used to ask me if they could ride my motorcycle. I replied, "You can ride my bike if I can ride your wife." Almost got punched by one guy but I think he hesitated when my buddies and my wife and I started laughing at him. He left in a huff.

--Wag--

·
Registered
166 Posts
Slipping off topic here for a moment-

Not trying to start any fights here, but in my day the crotch rocket guys would let anyone ride their bikes which oftentimes resulted in more than a few wrecked bikes and body's.

OTOH, Harley riders, at least the types I hung with, wouldn't let anyone touch their bikes, much less ride them, unless they were the wrench in charge of working on it at the time. It was a good way to get hurt.

My younger brother was a crotch rocket rider back in the '80's. He had an '84 900 Ninja. And since he was my brother he let me ride it. I was a Harley rider, I had a Sportster and a Softail (I still have that Softail) That crotch rocket, with it's 1/4 turn throttle and 4 billion RPM's was scary fast and quicker than a gunshot report! A 10 second bike (or less) in the 1/4 mile right off the showroom floor. Since I was used to sitting up while riding that leaning on my arms while riding was totally weird, so steering it was jerky. Just keeping the front wheel on the ground took concentration! I made it around the block in one piece, got off and wished him a long life. About four years later he slid it under a left turning car. He hasn't been on a bike since as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Yeah ooooof mothers or flitz, One thing grandad and dad pounded into me If I want it or Like it or cherish it, lend, loan it not for no one can upset like friends or family

1 - 14 of 14 Posts