National Gun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Springfield M1A Scout Squad and am looking for a scope, there are options but I could use some opinions, any body want to chime in?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Burris is a Good scope and would be a good choice but it's a little out of my price range, any other ideas? Hopefully something that won't cost a quarter of what I paid for the rifle.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Burris is a Good scope and would be a good choice but it's a little out of my price range, any other ideas? Hopefully something that won't cost a quarter of what I paid for the rifle.
Too bad they're out of your current price range, if you can stretch the limit a bit they're well worth the investment. I put a Burris scout scope on one of my Mauser's and couldn't get it to zero so I sent it in to them for repair. From the time I contacted customer service to the time the repaired scope was back in my hands was under 10 days. Great company and worth the extra money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too bad they're out of your current price range, if you can stretch the limit a bit they're well worth the investment. I put a Burris scout scope on one of my Mauser's and couldn't get it to zero so I sent it in to them for repair. From the time I contacted customer service to the time the repaired scope was back in my hands was under 10 days. Great company and worth the extra money.
It could be I'll be saving up for it, but like I posted up top I just dropped $2011 on the rifle I don't have the 5-600 for a scope just yet, looking more for right now rather then right. Mostly looking for a cheap scope that I can adjust to, I'm more accustomed to iron sight aiming than a scope.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
This part you may take personal but it's not meant to be so here we go. $400 for a scope is not expensive for a $2,000 rifle. I put it on my rifle a third of the cost.

I hear nothing but good things about Vortex products. I don't always believe there's a direct correlation between price and quality but often there is. Burris has been around longer and I'm more familiar with Burris products than Vortex. I don't believe generally a $150 scope is better than a $400 scope. Whatever product you have you need to keep things in balance and remember it's the individual parts that make up the whole and the end product is only as good as it's weakest link.

I like to rant and rave to make my point. Buying the cheapest gasoline is what people do but putting it in a $250,000 performance machine may not be the wisest thing to do. Buying the cheapest tires or replacement parts bothers me too. I see people buy high quality carpets but find the cheapest installer.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Live Free
4,327 Posts
When you have that much in the rifle, good glass is worth the money. I like Vortex, but I would lean towards the Burris too. I used a Burris on my SOCOM and it was worth every penny.

·
Aim true !
13,633 Posts
The rifle a 308? How far do you plan to reach out with it? What i suggested may not be enough scope. I have a 300.00 burris on my Savage 17hmr. The rifle was 158 bucks on clearance. That scope is sweet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't say I wouldn't shell out the cash for a quality scope I plan to do that, later, like I told RMLamp I'm not looking for a right scope just a right now so I can habituate myself to scope aiming.

·
Super Moderator
14,190 Posts
Sounds like you'll eventually get a good scope. $500.00 is not expensive for a quality scope so definitely keep it on your checklist for later on.

Personally, I just hate buying something twice! YMMV.

I also happen to like iron sights but again, YMMV.

--Wag--

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Not sure if you aren't familiar with scopes in general or scopes in the forward scout configuration. If you decide to go with a traditional forward mounted scout scope that does take some getting used to. Traditional scopes are fairly intuitive to use. The main concern is trying to get your eyes too close to the scope and getting 'scoped' you won't have that problem with a scout scope. You may want to and try to get right up on the scope out of habit but the forward mounting prevents that. It will feel awkward until you learn to relax and just get a good cheek weld. It's a different perspective with both eyes open. I keep having flashbacks to the buck walking out of the tall grass as I was grunting him in. He walked right up on me and he overfilled my scope. A scout scope would have came in handy with lower magnification and both eyes open with a wider field of view.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also have an M1A, the "Loaded" version. I wanted an inexpensive scope, since I only shoot targets at the range. I ended up getting an Osprey Global scope Standard 3-12x44MDG - Osprey Global It does everything that I need it to do, and when I'm at the range, I only shoot targets at 200 yards, and the results are great. I zero'd the scope in using a Caldwell lead sled, and the lighted reticle feature on the scope really helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also have an M1A, the "Loaded" version. I wanted an inexpensive scope, since I only shoot targets at the range. I ended up getting an Osprey Global scope Standard 3-12x44MDG - Osprey Global It does everything that I need it to do, and when I'm at the range, I only shoot targets at 200 yards, and the results are great. I zero'd the scope in using a Caldwell lead sled, and the lighted reticle feature on the scope really helps.
Thanks definitely a scope to look into

1 - 18 of 18 Posts