National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to make a purchase this Christmas. I was going to buy a savage 110 hunter XP with sights Pre-mounted and bore sighted in. On my first post on the forum I very quickly found out that that would be a terrible decision. Due to the lack of durability and unreliable nature of factory scopes and rings. So what are the brands that maybe aren't name brand but also aren't McDonald's quality. Any response is appreciated. Thank You.

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Burris, Simons, Redfield, Nikon and Tasco all have decent scopes in the $200’s if you hit the right sale. What power are you looking for? What do you want to shoot at? It’s all in what you can spend and what you want to shoot at. Prairie dogs at 250 yards in nice sunny days, Simons 6x-24x for under $200, no problem. Whitetails at 150 in the deep woods at sundow? 3x-12x Nikon on sale.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
the package deal you are looking at appears to have Nikon glass......which suprises me and Nikon is considered decent. However, i can not come across any info about the bases and rings supplied.....they might be better than bottom of the barrel as well. Confirm with the shop or email Savage for specifics.

most of my distrust for package deals generally revolves around cheap bases/rings and a "no-name" scope.....or some instances in years past the cheapest Simmons or Tasco sub-par glass available. Both Savage and Remington have previously been guilty of that.......and i think remington still is for no-name glass and rings......

DO NOT TRUST THE FACTORY BORE SIGHTING AS ABSOLUTE. Bore sighting will generally be in the general ball park most of the time.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,623 Posts
Nikon makes acceptable-to-very good quality rifle scopes.

Steel base(s) and rings are superior to aluminum ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the package deal you are looking at appears to have Nikon glass......which suprises me and Nikon is considered decent. However, i can not come across any info about the bases and rings supplied.....they might be better than bottom of the barrel as well. Confirm with the shop or email Savage for specifics.

most of my distrust for package deals generally revolves around cheap bases/rings and a "no-name" scope.....or some instances in years past the cheapest Simmons or Tasco sub-par glass available. Both Savage and Remington have previously been guilty of that.......and i think remington still is for no-name glass and rings......
DO NOT TRUST THE FACTORY BORE SIGHTING AS ABSOLUTE. Bore sighting will generally be in the general ball park most of the time.

Thank you so much this was very helpful and put some light on things i'm ignorant too. I really appreciate the comments you made and the knowledge you have educated me on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts