National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scoped centerfire rifle --

NOT "military" nor "assault" nor defense.

Rifles with scopes, for hunting, Centerfire, varmints, elk. moose, bear. Whatever.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 that I like for general use. Leupold 3 - 9x 40mm VXII. Mint in a pawn shop. It's a sweetheart.

Ruger No. 1 Stainless, 45-70 Govt. Leupold VX III 1.5 - 6x 32mm heavy reticle scope for heavy woods and Roosevelt Elk.

I had a Rem. 700 PSS, Springfield range finder 4 - 14x scope, 80 mm lens hood, in 223 Ackley Imp. Set up as a sniper rifle. There's a long story, and I'm glad she's not any longer in my life. Like a "trophy wife" . . . high maint. and hard to live with.

Scoped centerfire. Buddy has a Win. Mod. 70 in 30-06.

30-06 -- There's a caliber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mine "do anything" rifle is a pseudo-scout .308 on a commercial Mauser action, Bold trigger, Hogue "Overmolded" stock, Galco Orion sling, and Leupold Scout scope on Burris mount. Shoots great, though a little overweight for a Scout. I will probably sell it after this deployment and pick up a Steyr Scout, but I am pleased with this one as it sits.

If I could have just one rifle, I'd pass on all the ARs and MBRs in the world and take a good scout-type rifle.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My go-to rifle is a M-77 Ruger RSI with a 4X leupold scope. it's short, handy, lightweight and very accurate...

Mike, I really like the scout idea, and I even have a very similar rifle to yours, I used an FN action, X-S Scout mount, Ramline stock, Ching Sling, and a Burris Scout Scope. It's a really good truck gun...

Be safe, I was in that part of the world last year....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Baldy said:
That sure is a good looking rifle you got there Mike. How's it shoot? I don't have any good hunting rifles other than my old single shot .22 Rem. Why would would want to get the Scout and get rid of this one? Good luck with it and be safe. :)
Thanks! It shoots great, even with the old surplus CAVIM I use for practice. From the bench it's about a 1.5MOA rifle with Remington factory ammo. As far as practical accuracy, when I was field testing the Orion sling for Galco, I was getting composite groups of around 5" from field positions (prone, kneeling, "rice paddy prone" and standing) on an IPSC cardboard. I really need to tighten that up to 4" or so, but I am getting creaky in my mid-thirties, and I was unaccustomed to the Orion at that time. (I know, I know, "It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.")

My plan is to get a Steyr Scout when I return from deployment. The Steyr is a tad lighter, has the bipod, and the stock suits me a little better than this one. At that point, as good as it is, I'll have little use for this gun, and I hate having safe queens. I'd rather sell them to someone who will shoot them and hunt with them, versus just gathering dust in my safe.

Let me know if you want to buy this one. :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Critch said:
My go-to rifle is a M-77 Ruger RSI with a 4X leupold scope. it's short, handy, lightweight and very accurate...

Mike, I really like the scout idea, and I even have a very similar rifle to yours, I used an FN action, X-S Scout mount, Ramline stock, Ching Sling, and a Burris Scout Scope. It's a really good truck gun...

Be safe, I was in that part of the world last year....
I've really made a transition from ARs and such to what Modern Technique guys would call "useful rifles," like both the guns you described, and my little pseudo-Scout was a large part of that. It's to the point where I am selling my M4gery and moving to bolts and levers. (I'll keep my mighty Garand, though, thanks!)

Your truck rifle sounds like a great knockabout gun. I remember a few years ago Ashley Emerson was advocating that exact gun built on milsurp '98 Mausers. What kind of weight did you end up with? Did you trim the barrel? Did you use an aftermarket trigger?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I chopped the barrel to 20 inches, it is a military contoured barrel, so it's was light to start with. I really haven't checked the weight, I need to do that. I know that when I had a Choate Mauser stock on it it was even lighter, but I felt the Choate was too flimsy, so I went with the Ramline.

It also has a Timney trigger. I really like the rifle, it points well, shoots well, and 308 is cheap. I shoot Aussie, Brit, Indian, and CAVVIM (whatever the hell that is) ammunition and they all perform well.

If I have one gripe about the Scout concept it is that if the sun is behind it's not always easy to get a good sight picture due to the reflection on the rear lens...

I got to shoot a Steyr scout at Ramstein AB a few years ago, sweet rifle, but way to overpriced.

I have seriously considered mounting a scout scope on an old Remington 308 semi-auto rifle I've owned for years, it's a trifle heavy, but with a cropped barrel and slightly shortened stock it might work well too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Critch said:
I chopped the barrel to 20 inches, it is a military contoured barrel, so it's was light to start with. I really haven't checked the weight, I need to do that. I know that when I had a Choate Mauser stock on it it was even lighter, but I felt the Choate was too flimsy, so I went with the Ramline.

It also has a Timney trigger. I really like the rifle, it points well, shoots well, and 308 is cheap. I shoot Aussie, Brit, Indian, and CAVVIM (whatever the hell that is) ammunition and they all perform well.

If I have one gripe about the Scout concept it is that if the sun is behind it's not always easy to get a good sight picture due to the reflection on the rear lens...

I got to shoot a Steyr scout at Ramstein AB a few years ago, sweet rifle, but way to overpriced.

I have seriously considered mounting a scout scope on an old Remington 308 semi-auto rifle I've owned for years, it's a trifle heavy, but with a cropped barrel and slightly shortened stock it might work well too.
Your "Utility Scout" sounds nice! Maybe you could post a pic?

I didn't have the same impression of the Steyr. I see them for around $2K, which I think is a reasonable price for a scoped, quality rifle in a world where people pay more than that for clumsy M4geries and sharp-edged 1911s that only run with ball ammo. I've probably got $1500 in the M4gery I'll be selling when I get home, so the price of the Steyr doesn't offend me.

Agreed that problems shooting with the sun behind you is a bad "feature" of the forward mounting. Hasn't happened to me, but I understand completely how it could. Still, I think it is outweighed by the other advantages of fast acquisition, an essentially unlimited field of view, and both-eyes-open sighting. Nothing is perfect.

I've given some thought to scout-scoping a Savage 99 in .308 if I could find a good one. On the other hand, I am not sure what it could do that couldn't be done by a true Scout. Might be fun, though like your Remington, would be overweight.

CAVIM, by the way, comes from Venezuela (of all places). Not sure if it's still coming in since the coronation of Benevolent Dictator Chavez. I still have a couple hundred rounds of CAVIM .308 laying around.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm seeing scout scope mounts for Mini-14/30 rifles....if it's stable that would be dandy little rifle for general use.

During trials of the M-1 Garand, the first thing that the shooters mentioned was that they were not tired from actioning the bolt every round...something to be said for a reliable semi-auto.

I've seen pics of Croatian Army soldiers carrying Steyr Scout rifles during their civil war in the early nineties. All of us in the US military are so used to semi- and fully-auto weapons we forget the utitlity of a good bolt action.

My nephew was where you are now about 4 years ago, he said they got in a fight with an Afghani armed with a 303 Enfield, he was a good shot and took some time to get rid of him...

If a Steyr Scout ever comes my way at a price I think I can afford, believe me I will buy it. They are top of the line weapons.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Mike Barham said:
Baldy said:
That sure is a good looking rifle you got there Mike. How's it shoot? I don't have any good hunting rifles other than my old single shot .22 Rem. Why would would want to get the Scout and get rid of this one? Good luck with it and be safe. :)
Thanks! It shoots great, even with the old surplus CAVIM I use for practice. From the bench it's about a 1.5MOA rifle with Remington factory ammo. As far as practical accuracy, when I was field testing the Orion sling for Galco, I was getting composite groups of around 5" from field positions (prone, kneeling, "rice paddy prone" and standing) on an IPSC cardboard. I really need to tighten that up to 4" or so, but I am getting creaky in my mid-thirties, and I was unaccustomed to the Orion at that time. (I know, I know, "It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.")

My plan is to get a Steyr Scout when I return from deployment. The Steyr is a tad lighter, has the bipod, and the stock suits me a little better than this one. At that point, as good as it is, I'll have little use for this gun, and I hate having safe queens. I'd rather sell them to someone who will shoot them and hunt with them, versus just gathering dust in my safe.

Let me know if you want to buy this one. :lol:
:D Thanks for the offer Mike but I can't afford the big bucks that them rifles bring.
Be careful and stay safe. Baldy.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:D Thanks for the offer Mike but I can't afford the big bucks that them rifles bring.
Be careful and stay safe. Baldy.
I'm also looking for trades on Marlin 336s or 1894s, if you have any laying around...

I'll actually probably end up taking the glass off my pseudo-Scout and selling it cheap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Critch said:
I'm seeing scout scope mounts for Mini-14/30 rifles....if it's stable that would be dandy little rifle for general use.
Ehhh. I'm not crazy about the Ruger Minis. If I want/need a semiauto .223, I'd either keep the AR or maybe get a KelTec for the folding feature. Mini-30s have a terrible reputation for accuracy. The single example I shot worked fine, but I didn't get a chance to bench it, just sort of blast away (it belonged to a guy on a range where I was shooting).

During trials of the M-1 Garand, the first thing that the shooters mentioned was that they were not tired from actioning the bolt every round...something to be said for a reliable semi-auto.
I am not sure how or when, as a private citizen when I return, I will ever need to shoot so much in real life that my arm will get tired. :eek:

I've seen pics of Croatian Army soldiers carrying Steyr Scout rifles during their civil war in the early nineties. All of us in the US military are so used to semi- and fully-auto weapons we forget the utitlity of a good bolt action.
Yeah, that pic really lit some fires in Scout circles, didn't it? Even Col. Cooper commented on it!

The several snipers I know appreciate bolt guns, but you're right, most guys want firepower RIGHT NOW! But of course soldiers face a very different situation than regular citizens in the US. I think autos (or semiautos at least) serve soldiers quite well. Conversely, I think there are few realistic things a citizen can do with a semiauto that he can't do as well or better with a manually-operated rifle, outside of competitions that require semis.

My nephew was where you are now about 4 years ago, he said they got in a fight with an Afghani armed with a 303 Enfield, he was a good shot and took some time to get rid of him...
Yeah, some of the Afghans are pretty good shots. The mujahedin fighters tore up the Soviets pretty well, using accurate fire from those old Enfields.

We were out shooting a couple weeks ago when an ANP (cop) strolled up with his AK. These guys have a hard time getting ammo, but he wanted to shoot. We had set up some 40mm cases from the MK 19 at about 25 meters. The ANP guy jumped into rice paddy prone and fired one shot, hitting the case squarely. He stood up, smiled, and called it good. I think he's the exception, though, at least for the guys on our side. Most of the Afghans are bad shots and borderline dangerous with their rather casual gunhandling.

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
Not the greatest, but here is my Remmy 710 chambered in .270 Win with Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40mm scope and 100 yd target.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Stay safe Mike.

Regarding the arm being tired....the last major war with the combatants using bolt actions was WWII, within a few years most armies had semi or full-autos. I think a Brit soldier at Ypres, a Frenchman at Verdun, or a German at Kursk saw those times when an an auto loader would have been helpful.

I wonder if the availablity of AK type weapons in Afghanisatan has caused them as a whole to lose their edge on markmanship they once had when every bullet had to count?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gunzzi stole my Gun! I have a remmy 710 but in .243 with a bi-pod and a 9-24 scope on it. :mrgreen:

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
Gunny the Gun said:
Gunzzi stole my Gun! I have a remmy 710 but in .243 with a bi-pod and a 9-24 scope on it. :mrgreen:
The bolt is a little quirkey, but it has a good bore and shoots tight groups.

I wonder if one of those S-Coil resonators would help the groups out a little more on this baby. Anyone have any experience with these?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scoped hunting rifles, I have a Remington 700 BDL in 30.06, a Browning BAR in .280 with a muzzle break (hold your ears, it's LOUD!!!!!!) and a Ruger M77 in.257 Roberts. :--- :--- :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Aim true !
11,660 Posts
This thread is 13 years old!

Reactions: johnishunting

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
true....but i found another mention of the ruger 77 rsi.......that always gets my attention....... ;)

ancient history can still be fun........

Reactions: AgedWarrior
1 - 20 of 20 Posts