National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pleased with how my Axis 243 performed with various ammo. All ammo I tested was under 3/4” at 85 yards. It’s time to find a decent FFP scope. I think it’ll make a nice midrange rifle for my son to learn on.

I have a number of things going on with my bolt action rifles. The original intent was to move my Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 from my 300 PRC over to the 243. As of right now, Vortex has it. In the interim,

I took a chance on an Athlon Argos BTR 8-36x56. It has an illuminated reticle which in my opinion is really nice on a FFP scope at lower magnification. If for some reason I’m not thrilled with it, I’ll either sell it off or move it to another rifle. It seemed like a decent scope for the price of $350

I have my mind set on getting a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 to put on my PRC. It’s major steps up from the Diamondback I already have. Illuminated reticle, better eye relief, clearer image at high power, enormous elevation range, etc. I also like the VIP warranty that Vortex has. It can’t be beat.

I’ve also looked at the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 and the Arken EP4 4-24x50. I think from the reviews I’ve seen, they look like interesting prospects. I intend to pickup a Creedmoor in the next 2 month so I’d like to evaluate at least one of these. Funding may be a deciding factor. Too far off the know for sure. If anyone has feedback on any of the scopes I’ve mentioned, the feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Can't speak to Athlon, but I can say I was unimpressed with my one and only Vortex scope. The glass was...

...unimpressive.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I ask because the focus and eye relief on that Diamondback is pretty rough at 16x and above. It can be a challenge to get the reticle focused so you don’t see a double reticle. In addition, the eye relief kind of sucks. Again, at 16x and above, I’m reaching to get my eye close enough that the shadow doesn’t drown out the target. I shipped it to Vortex and having them take a look at it. If that’s the limitation for that scope then it’s going on a lighter recoiling gun. That 300 may not recoil “hard” but has 18lbs of momentum behind it.

I picked up the Strike Eagle in the store as mentioned above and it was a night and day difference.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like the Athlon has to go back. They charged the wrong account and refuse to fix so it’s going back as soon as it arrives. SMH... that’s ok. As of last night, I’ve sworn off any further business with them anyway. Might as get that money back too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am interested in looking into ARKEN Scopes , I was thinking about putting one on my Model 12 Savage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts