National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a Weatherby vanguard synthetic chambered in 30-06. My next purchase was a Nikon buck master 3-9x50 scope. I bought a two piece scope base and a set of tall scope rings because the 50mm objective. When I attempted to zero the gun at 100 yards I could not get the reticle on target. As low as it would come I am still shooting 8 inches high. Is there a different set of mounts I can use or would someone know of a remedy for my issue? Worse case I sell the scope and buy a 40mm and use lower rings.

·
Aim true !
10,273 Posts
Did you get cheap rings?

·
Aim true !
10,273 Posts
Ok they have cheap rings and good rings. What model Leupold rings did you get. The more we know. The better we can help. Also what base did you get?

·
Live Free
2,874 Posts
The mounts/rings are supposed to be taller in the rear...did you install them correctly? Possibly as easy as reversing the mounts if the scope is okay after being installed that way. Basically, your scope is inclined upward when the mounts are reversed...probably lots of room for the objective right now, but it can damage the optic trying to clamp it into the rings that way.

Of course, all this assumes you have the correct mounts and rings...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The scope cost me $170 I’m just going to buy the same one with a 40 mil objective. I’ll have a local shop I deal with mount and bore sight the gun before I go out to give it a true cold bore zero.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
and lapping done? silly question I know but lapping is a process often over looked

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd be willing to bet it is not your rings. I have a Bushnell scope that was just a few clicks from topping out before it would zero. You might have a problem like that.

All my rings are the same size, except the Burris Signature Zee rings with the inserts that let you cant your scope 20MOA or more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts