National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just mounted a scope on my Remington 700 SPS Tactical--it's my first time mounting a scope and I just feel like it's a little off.

I used a few techniques to get it aligned.

1. Using two levelers, one on top of the scope and the other inside the chamber
  2. Looking through the scope and lining up with a door frame
  3. Looking through the scope and aligning it with the center of the rifle where the action is
  4. Looking through the scope and aligning it with the center of the stock

Using 2 & 3 I can technically get the cross hairs straight up and down, but when I pick it up and look through the scope in various shooting stances, even prone, there seems to be a very slight cant NNW to SSE.

Using 1 & 4 I've noticed when the rifle is somewhat level with the ground the cant is NNE to SSW, but when I pick it up it looks closer to center.

I was wondering if any would give me some guidance on this?

Am I being a perfectionist? I do have another Remington that has a scope mounted, but that was done by Remington, and sometimes I think that that scope is off too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess it's ok - I've seen many images of views through the scope with the rifle close to be level, looking down range, and they don't all seems to be exact or perfect.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
It should be level when you are looking through it in your normal shooting stance (or it will nag at you, as shown above). Many people hold their rifles slightly canted when they fire. If it is only off by a couple degrees, it won't make much practical difference at normal ranges.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,208 Posts
I bet you are using the old-style rings. Which is okay, if that is what you really want.

I would have suggested a one-piece scope mount, like the DNZ Game Reaper ......

Rem.%20700%20LA.jpg

...... they are around $65. Yes it is expensive, but it makes mounting a scope "stupid easy", PLUS the scope is anchored to the rifle, meaning no in the field movement ...... actually no movement, at all, ever. And each is precision machined, so your scope is plumb level with the rifle. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bet you are using the old-style rings. Which is okay, if that is what you really want.

I would have suggested a one-piece scope mount, like the DNZ Game Reaper ......

View attachment 9147

...... they are around $65. Yes it is expensive, but it makes mounting a scope "stupid easy", PLUS the scope is anchored to the rifle, meaning no in the field movement ...... actually no movement, at all, ever. And each is precision machined, so your scope is plumb level with the rifle. Just a thought.
I have a SWFA SS 16x42mm SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

and am using good scope rings by the same company.

I guess I can turn it a little bit to the right so that it is a half millimeter NNE/SSW-- when I aim the rifle down range standing or prone it seems to have a cant more NNW/SSE, it's probably not noticeable by others.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,623 Posts
It is of importance that the rifle's scope be square with the rifle. You probably tilt the rifle a little when you shoulder it.

I used a few techniques to get it aligned.

1. Using two levelers, one on top of the scope and the other inside the
    chamber
  2. Looking through the scope and lining up with a door frame
  3. Looking through the scope and aligning it with the center of the rifle where
    the action is
  4. Looking through the scope and aligning it with the center of the
    stock
#1 This is important and the most reliable. Believe the results.
#2 How do you know the door frame is square?
#3 This feels good but is worthless.
#4 See #3.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is of importance that the rifle's scope be square with the rifle. You probably tilt the rifle a little when you shoulder it.

#1 This is important and the most reliable. Believe the results.
#2 How do you know the door frame is square?
#3 This feels good but is worthless.
#4 See #3.
I probably do tilt the rifle when I shoulder it. Maybe I should stop that and re-level my scope with the two levelers (on scope and in rifle action).

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
I've used the dual level method. The thing you have to be sure of, is if both levels check the same on a single level surface. You would be surprised how many don't, or else read slightly different if you turn them 180 degrees. With mine I have to have one dead center between the lines, while the other is slightly to the left, with the bubble just touching the left line. I mark "L" on the left side of each level so I get them positioned the same way all the time.

I've also found it's easier to hold the scope center through the tightening process if the rings have 4 screws, instead of 2. You can cross torque them, which makes it easier not to slightly turn the scope body while tightening it. I've done this right on the money on the first try. And sometimes it takes 3, or even 4 tries to get it right.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Put a lazer pointer stick it in the end of the barrel look down the scope put crosshairs on the dot and there ya go its hard to sight in a rifle only because there are so many diffrent factors that can throw off the projectile like wind/

Smoke a good cigar while shooting. The smoke goes in the direction the wind is blowing. Rgds ARMARIN:thumbsup:
Sorry but you are confused about bore sighting and scope cant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts