National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Aim true !
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put weaver base's on my 30/30. The rear base sits the diameter of 2 index cards low. I checked for level with a straight edge. Will it effect scope zero?

·
Super Moderator
14,492 Posts
In another life I worked at Oshman's Sporting Goods in Houston. One of the main operations at the gun counter (when they had one) was putting scopes on Win 94 AEs. In addition to other issues, almost none of the 94 AEs were drilled and tapped properly. They were either out of alignment, drilled crooked or stripped or not tapped at all.

So, depending on how much elevation adjustment you have on your scope, you may not even notice it at 100 yards. Be thankful it's an elevation issue and not a windage issue.

Alan

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
no help here......my solution on such was shims i cut out of coke cans.

have not looked in a while, but burris did offer a posi align insert set rings where the half piece inserts came in different thicknesses..mix and match for what you need...was for the signature and zee rings....don't know if they still have such.....coke can shims were a lot cheaper.

·
Aim true !
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. If it shoots staright from 25-100 yards ill be a happy camper. And yep the front was not tapped. But the holes were bigger than the screws the bases came with. Today my neighbor and i went through his assortment and found 2 i used to tap into the holes. I blue loc-tite'd them too.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
Reactions: fixitfred

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
When i got my 94AE i decided to take the scope off of it, not a huge fan of scoped lever guns. One of the problems i had with that gun was trying to adjust the scope higher for farther shots, just rand out of adjustment. When i took everything off the rear base was shimmed and i suspect not shimmed enough or too much. I think at the time i looked it up or asked about it here and i guess it's a common problem with some 94's and bases.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried to shoot it in today. Coudn't get on a cardboard box at 25 yards. Even with scope adjusted all the way. It shot hit about 2 foot low at 10 yards. Im not going to mess with further. It shoots good with the irons. I'll pick up a Marlin 336 with a scope when walmart gets them in.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
thought about a red dot?.....they seem to be more generous in the amount of moa offered.....more than most scopes....and a riser block on the base could help as well..

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good idea. I have that has a single rail clamp too. Sure is worth a try.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts