National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a scope and I'd like some suggestions and opinions. Usually, if I need a scope I look at what I have around, pick something, and mount it on the gun. My scope "collection" consists of scopes that were already on a gun when I bought it, scopes I took a fancy to and bought spur of the moment, and scopes I've gotten in various trading deals.

This time I want something in particular. It doesn't have to be high power, I'll only be shooting out to maybe 100 yards. I prefer a 50 MM because I like the extra light it brings in. I need LOTS of eye relief because I'm planning on mounting it on my Charger. I want something I can depend on but it's not a hard recoil weapon (.22 LR) and I don't want to spend $1000 on a scope. I'm thinking 1.5 to 4 X 40 or 50 MM. Can I get something that big at a low magnification?

Another thing is the insides... I'll be shooting a lot of paper so I want a thin crosshair and I don't need a lighted reticule.

Are any of the lessor known scope manufacturers that offer Mil Spec quality any good?

I've been told some of the big name companies are really junk... opinions please.

Don

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Leupold is one I recommend. Maybe a 4X would work for you since the distance is only 100 yds.

I have a couple of cheap Bushnell's on my 10/22s and they work fine. I just use them for target shooting and playing around with various targets in the woods. They are not especially reliable for woods hunting in cold or humid conditions.

For tough use in the woods I like the Burris or Leupold for the money. Nikon is worth looking at also.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
You may want to look at a handgun scope. Some of the adjustables have a decent objective lens in them.

Just remember, the amount of light that the scope transfers to your eye is only partly due to exit pupil size. A lot of it comes from the quality and clarity of the glass. Quality scopes have coatings on their lenses that reduce glare and reflected light and allow more light through to your eye. A good quality scope with a smaller objective lens with provide you with a brighter sight picture than a cheap scope with a huge lens.

Also your eye can only use a certain size of exit pupil. After that any more transfered light is just a waste and won't make any difference. The large objectives come in handy when you begin stepping up the power since that will reduce exit pupil size. Since you are looking to keep magnification on the lower side I would recommend a smaller objective lens on a good quality scope. It will not only look better but it will allow you to mount the scope closer to the axis of your bore and you will see better results from that alone.

But heck, that's just my 2 cents. What do I know!

Reactions: sig232 and Popeye

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts
Just remember, the amount of light that the scope transfers to your eye is only partly due to exit pupil size. A lot of it comes from the quality and clarity of the glass. Quality scopes have coatings on their lenses that reduce glare and reflected light and allow more light through to your eye. A good quality scope with a smaller objective lens with provide you with a brighter sight picture than a cheap scope with a huge lens.

Also your eye can only use a certain size of exit pupil. After that any more transfered light is just a waste and won't make any difference. The large objectives come in handy when you begin stepping up the power since that will reduce exit pupil size. Since you are looking to keep magnification on the lower side I would recommend a smaller objective lens on a good quality scope. It will not only look better but it will allow you to mount the scope closer to the axis of your bore and you will see better results from that alone.

Obviously, you know the basics and a bit more. This is good advice.

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand what you are saying bigweatherby, It makes sense.

I checked that site Kansas45 but it doesn't look like they have handgun scopes. I'll call them later today and check for sure.

I also went to the websites of Leupold, Nikon, and Burris as sig32 recommended. I had no idea Burris scopes were so expensive. I know quality is very important and if I was buying this scope for my .480 or my .500 with a ton of recoil and I was going to be perched on a mountain somewhere in a snowstorm, on a $10,000 hunting trip for a one chance in a lifetime shot at a world class trophy, I would seriously look at the Burris or Leupold scopes. However, I'm buying it for a .22 LR that will only be used for targets and plinking in nice weather. I don't even squirrel hunt anymore.

A friend met me at the cafe this morning. I'd told him I bought the Charger and he was anxious to look at it. He brought with him a 2 X 20 Simmons handgun scope. As soon as there was enough light we were behind the barn playing with the scope. I got it halfway sighted in at 50 yards and let her bang. While I wasn't in the X (it was hitting about an inch high and a skoosh left) all my groups were about an inch! I was shooting CCI Stingers (250 rounds). With my tired out old eyes! I know, some of you are sitting out there laughing at me cause you are shooting 1/4 inch groups at the same distance but for me this was great shooting! As far as I could tell the trigger was dropping at about 5 pounds and a piece. It had a bit of creep and felt rough.

I don't know if it was the Charger or the scope or the bipod but I was amazed at how well I was shooting. If the Charger shoots this good stock out of the box what is it going to do after the makeover? The scope was clear, bright, and had plenty of eye relief. They must use real hair for the cross hairs because they were so thin they didn't cover the Bull even at 50 yards.

Does any of y'all have any experience or opinions of Simmons handgun scopes?

I still need to check out the other scope manufacturers (Bushnell, Weaver, etc, etc) and I hope to do that today...

Don

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I stand corrected BangBang. :redface:
Not sure what I was thinkin'. :crazy:

Carry on! :thumbsup:

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I think Simmons are on the cheaper end of things. If you are happy with the clarity and everything then it will probably be alright on your 22.

I wonder if that chargers barrel is extra stiff due to its abbreviated length. That would contribute to its great accuracy.

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bigweatherby, I've been wondering about the accuracy and started to look around for a reason. here is what I found while researching barrels for the Charger.

I read a piece that stated a .22 develops a loss of velocity (and hence accuracy) as soon as the barrel exceeds 14 or 16 inches (I don't remember which) in length. Apparently the .22 bullet starts to slow down or something like that while still in the barrel because the small amount of gases developed by the .22 lose pressure in the barrel. Here is a quote......

"In the VOL. 9, NO. 4 issue of GUNS & AMMO magazine, Bob Milek wrote an article titled: BARREL LENGTH VS VELOCITY, where he took a number of barrels and guns and cut down the barrels in one inch increments, measuring the velocity loss at each step of the process for a number of centerfires as well as the 22LRs. It's a very interesting article. Here are the velocities recorded for the 22LR starting at 14 inches and going down to 4 inches.

14" = 1,105 fps.
13" = 1,106
12" = 1,110
11" = 1,089
10" = 1,114
..9" = 1,077
..8" = 1,063
..7" = 1,057
..6" = 1,024
..5" = ..959
..4" = ..927 fps.

These findings were consistant with multiple brands of .22 LR ammo. Some brands had more velocity than others but the percentage of velocity loss remained the same.

Now, if one accepts this theory than the length of a Charger Barrel (10 inches) makes sense.

As you stated the shorter barrel is stiffer and that will also help control harmonic distortion which can result in better accuracy. The barrel I have ordered for my Charger is a 12.37 inch Voltquartsen Carbon Fiber Tempered barrel and I chose that one because of the length and stiffness.

I guess time will tell.

Don

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I love the Ruger 10/22s but......their triggers are not known for being easy to use. Partly a legal liability issue I suppose. Thats why there are a few aftermarket mfgs making trigger modules for that rifle.

Any of the cheaper scopes work fine for most of the target shooting we like to do. If you are a big time competitor buy an expensive scope, otherwise its really not necessary.

The Simmons scope is not top of the line but its not junk either. It will work just fine and you will be able to make nice tight little groups with practice. Mastering the trigger release on that rifle takes a little practice.:thumbsup:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
You may want to look at a handgun scope. Some of the adjustables have a decent objective lens in them.

That is impressive! I learned a couple of things today.:thumbsup:

Just goes to show, "Everyday is a learning experience!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey,

I been using osprey scopes for a while and love them. They dont have a low power option with 50mm but they do have a 3-9x42 that has HUGE eye relief. they market it to the AR market and I have 2. not a super fine reticle, i have a 56 mm elite osprey with the precision reticle but that one is over $500 and more than youd need from the sounds of it..

Try them out...I use them and turned a couple buddys onto them...

·
Aim true !
11,332 Posts
You just bumped a thread from 2009!

·
Aim true !
11,332 Posts
It happens a lot since the site upgrade. And welcome on board.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts