National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, I'm a newbie here and I have been scouring the internet for some ideas. This forum seems to be the most knowledgeable from what I can tell so hopefully someone can be so kind to point me in the right direction. I have recently acquired a Remington 760 Gamemaster 30-06. An older fellow is selling all his guns so this came up and since its brand new in the box and never been fired it was to irresistible to pass up even though its an older gun. I left hunting about 15 years ago, been busy with family so my 13 year old son wants to get into it so here I am. I have shot high powered rifle years ago (30-06, win mag 338) so this isn't my first rodeo but those guns were a lot bigger than this thing so this is new to me. Looking to mount a scope but being so compact of a rifle wouldn't mind getting some suggestions. Looking for some decent eye relief but don't want to break the bank(under $150). Will probably be shooting deer or moose in Northwestern Ontario no more then 200 yards (I'm not that good). From what can see an economical setup would be weaver 1 piece mount (#62) some decent rings and maybe a bushnell or nikon 3x9x40? Also thinking a fixed scope for better eye relief. If anyone has owned this gun or still owns this gun and has a scope I would love to hear your setup. Just fishing for some ideas from some experienced shooters. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,213 Posts
E I have a 760, a 7600 and a 740, all in 30-06. I wouldn’t say any of them are compact unless you have the carbine version. These are great shooting guns. The carbine barks kinda loud but I like the look and I like shorter guns in general. On these 06es I have a 2-7x40mm, a 3-9x40 and a fixed 4x. It all depends on how far you want to shoot. You should do fine with a 3-9x40. The eye relief on most brands is sufficient for most set ups. Nikon, Weaver,loupold, Burris, Tasso and many others will be just fine but stay away from illuminated scopes. Stay away from the cheap Chinese stuff. Look for scopes in the 32-40 mm objective lenses. Don’t forget the rings.
Shopping for a scope is not always easy. There are serval good scopes that can be had for $150. I picked up a Nikon Pro Satff on sale for $150 just last spring. Check Optics Planet and Natchez shooters supply. They are my go to places. Look for close outs and sales. There’s nothing more worse than bad optics so go as good as you can afford.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have the carbide version. I am planning a trip to Minneapolis next weekend for football and Im gonna hit Cabelas. The Nikon 3x9x40 pro staff has great reviews for the money and looks like that will be the ticket. Thanks for the reply!

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
A NIB 760 never fired....

Not exactly collectors material (unless you find the right guy), but I think I'd hold onto it as is and get something else. It's never going to be Cherry again after you shoot it.

Alan

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,141 Posts
200 yards on the internet = 100 yards in real life. You do not need a scope.

The Nikon ProStaff is an acceptable scope.

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
200 yards on the internet = 100 yards in real life. You do not need a scope.

The Nikon ProStaff is an acceptable scope.
I don't know about that. I looked at a 100 yard target today. I told #3 son to move it to 50 yards. I finally walked up to 25 yards so I could see. At least if I'd had a scope I could have seen where I wasn't shooting.

Alan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts