National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
So I have a Crossman break barrel pellet gun (.177 Cal, 1000fps) and it's always been great to shoot when I can't make it to the range. I've always used the fiber optic sights mounted on the barrel, however I recently put the scope on it that came with it and was to lazy to mount before. The scope mounts on the receiver behind the barrel, and will not hold a zero for anything. With the fiber optics I was getting around 1" groups at 100ft, but with the scope I'm getting 6-9" at the same distance. It's not me, as I use scopes on about half of my firearms and have no issues. Anyone else had this issue? Know how to fix it?

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
I only know that I won't fool around with a cheap scope. Tried that on a .22 LR rifle. Parallax error was intolerable. I'd rather shoot iron sights.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
I only shoot iron sights because of parallax error. I've tried cheap scopes and expensive scopes, and nothing makes a difference. So then I blew $500 on a Trijicon RX30A-51 'holographic' sight that they advertised as 'parallax-free'. Nope, still parallax. My son-in-law did a tour of duty in Iraq and he has the same problem with scopes. Someone told him the problem was him putting his cheek on the stock in different places, so what he did was duct-tape a rock to the buttstock so it would poke the side of his face, in the same place, for every shot. That trick didn't work for him.

I don't know if we're part of a tiny minority who can't use scopes, or if there's a basic problem that "knowing how" would fix. But I know that some people can't get along with scopes, period.

Edit: Palma shooters reach 1,000 yards with iron sights, so maybe I shouldn't feel so bad. But something within me yearns to try an ACOG on my DPMS .308.

Reactions: PrairieHunt

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
I've had no problems with Leupold's and a Nikon Monarch I now have. Whenever I look at a scope. I move around. Watch if the cross hairs move or stay on.
I don't accept the; "put your face in a different place" excuse. I don't accept some people can't take a scope.
A cheap scope is a cheap scope. The king has no clothes.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
I can give you a tip.. inside the scope there is an adjustment tube... if it is sitting at park.. it will be a problem.. what you have to do is take the windage turret and gently turn it counter clock wise.. once it is home.. then turn it all the way clockwise and count the clicks..to home.. lets say there are 40 total clicks.. then you turn the turret CC again but only 20 clicks this puts the scope tub ( inside the actual scope) in the Zero position east to west...center line..
then you do the same thin with the elevation turret.. bow the adjusting tube in is the center of the scope.. now you have to re zero the scope down range... Its possible the scope was not centered before zeroing it in.. you have to start with the tube at center. as long as the scope rings are tight to the scope and mounted tight to the rifle.. but you have to start off in the center to begin with. JUst something that happens with inexpensive scopes..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts