National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the second time I’ve tried to post this so here is the short version... wife hinted around about a purple gun so I bought this SCCY CPX-2 9mm. Don’t know much about SCCY. Guy came to the counter while I was looking at it and said he had the same model and never had an issue with it. The other options were a Taurus G2C 9mm and a .380 that I can’t remember the manufacturer. The .380 was just awkward. I think it wound have been for her as well. The Taurus needed tossed in a burn pile. Seriously, the stippling on the grip was so bad it was like grabbing a handful of glass. The SCCY seemed well built, comfortable, although the handle is a bit on the wide side. Not so much that it would be a control issue but noticeably wide. Came with a second magazine. No safety on this model. That is a downside but she shouldn’t be laying it down or carrying it around chambered anyway. I’ll get her a better gun once I have her hooked. Pictured below. Let me know your feedback on this model if you have any.

4E598030-769B-4D27-83E9-0438CDB48D71.jpeg

https://www.sccy.com/product/cpx-2-tt-9mm/

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Biggest difference I can see is that the Taurus is striker fired. The SCCY is an internal double action hammer fired which in the end resulted in a much longer but smoother trigger pull (per the reviews).

·
Aim true !
9,795 Posts
I sanded the grip texture down on my one taurus. Forget if it was the 111 or 140. But yeah it was too aggressive.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess we’ll find out how she likes it on Wednesday. I’ll have to go pick it up and take her out to her dad’s to try it out. Got my fingers crossed. If she really likes it, think I’m going to go pick her up a Browning 1911-380. I got to handle one in the shop. It’s got to be one of the best feeling .380’s I’ve handled yet. 105 grain 9mm from a 3.1” barrel and a 90 grain .380 from a 4.25” barrel ought to be pretty comparable as far as muzzle energy. The .380 will have less recoil, be more accurate and pleasant to handle. It’s basically a 85% scaled down model 1911.

42C0DCAE-5E39-4B2B-B7D2-543DB86B2F44.jpeg

·
Aim true !
9,795 Posts
I have a 380 1911. And a few others. My walther pk380 is my favorite. Racks real easy and the recoil seams more manageable out of all of mine, And it's the most accurate.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This gun was a complete failure. I fired the first shot just to make sure it was safe. The first round went off and the second one chambered 3/4 of the way. It’s jammed so tight there is no moving the slide. Since it’s stuck 3/4 of the way chambered with a live round in it, it’s now sitting with a gunsmith. Hopefully he can figure out how to get it out of there so I can send this piece of junk back to them. This is why I prefer not to buy cheap guns.

·
Aim true !
9,795 Posts
Round stuck part way in. Put the muzzle end of the slide on the end of a block of wood. Push down it will dislodge. I had that issue with some tight chambered guns. Before i started using a Lee FCD.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe but I’m pretty strong and I couldn’t get it to move at all. On the other hand, it’s a brand new weapon, not willing chance it not working when it needs to. If it can’t shoot off the shelf brass then the only thing it’s good for is holding my bait down to the bottom of the lake.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We went back after dropping that 9mm off at the gunsmith and had her shoot my .45 XDM. Told her if she could handle that then she could handle anything. She handled it well for about 50rds but couldn’t rack the slide. The SCCY slide was tough for her too, nothing some practice couldn’t cure. I’ll have to have her try the browning and see if it’s any easier for her. If she has trouble with that then we are moving to a revolver.

·
Jesus Saves
7,735 Posts
Think it is best to let her pick and buy rather than you trying to figure it out for her.

Because one may be able to handle a specific 45 does not mean they can handle anything. It's something "she" will use, let "her" pick it out.

If the slide it tough, rent a Shield Easy, a Sig 395 or similar. Dang, the LCPII is very easy to use. But it's gonna be hers, let her take her time and pick.

Sound like you're controlling this purchase ("if she has trouble with that then we are moving to a revolver"). Ease up! Is it for you or her?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts