National Gun Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had been shopping for small pistol primers and unable to find them available locally most of what I'd seen available online were ridiculously overpriced so I'd decided to wait hoping that the supply would someday normalize and they would become available again. Knowing that I'd been searching for these primers my wife thought that ordering a couple boxes of them for me would make a nice anniversary present.

This is where a company called Barrel Ammo Depot located in Houston TX enters the picture. She found their website doing a random search for primers. Their site has a lot of stock photos of Guns, Ammo, Components and firearm accessories most likely copied from manufacturers websites and the site claimed that they had the primers in stock, price also seemed reasonable so she ordered a couple boxes for me. During the ordering process is where the first serious red flag appeared. The company would not accept credit card payments and only did online bank transfers through a company called Zelle and a couple other online bank transfer sites, Thus removing the buyer protection of a standard credit card transaction. On her first attempt the transaction wouldn't go through so she emailed them. They responded telling her that she needed to make the transaction out to a guy named Dorian S**** and not to Barrel Ammo Depot. I'd call this the second red flag. This order was processed and she was told via email that the order should arrive within a week. she never received a tracking number or notice that the order had been shipped in the days following so she attempted contacting them via email again. They would not respond to her emails, they also do not answer their phone.

She finally informed me of the situation this evening as it has now been weeks since the order was placed and I began looking into it. The address they list on their website appears to be a vacant small warehouse, not a retail location. I checked the domain of their website and all the identifying information for the domain listing has been redacted also the domain has only been registered since 02/21, calls to their phone number go directly to a voicemail with no identification as a business in the voicemail greeting. I also checked with the State of Texas registry of business's and there is no business registered under the name of Barrel Ammo Depot in the state of Texas. Looks like my Wife is out the money due to a scam website. I will be contacting the Texas Attorney Generals office and filing a complaint.
I came across another one in a Facebook string reply. He had gen’d up a ”Facebook website” to look like a reputable retailer with shelves full of primers, powders, etc. and branded the site Ammo Reloading Shop. No credit cards accepted, bank Transfers, PayPal etc. only. He set up a phony invoice, but it had no HazMat fees etc. included. He said it was included in the very reasonable pricing. Big Red Flag! If it’s too good to be true then it isn’t. Stick with the known folks that will accept credit card transactions and quit feeding the gougers and scammers.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Gouging was mentioned. I have no problem with that. Buy what you want and don't buy what you don't want. I can legally sell things and set the price. Why do people get upset with that simple concept?

Reactions: Wag

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I remember a few retailers who wouldn't take credit cards or checks too. These days the average individual doesn't carry around large amounts of cash. Merchants not accepting credit cards end up losing a lot of business. If a business doesn't accept credit cards most potential customers will simply buy elsewhere rather than make a trip to the bank to withdraw cash. Those credit card fees are usually offset by gained volume of sales.
Anyway back to topic. Because of the large number of online scammers these days I won't do an online bank transfer or service such as Paypal or Zelle unless I know the person or company I'm doing business with. If I see a business that only accepts those methods of payment I pass on them and shop elsewhere.

My wife got burned on this deal simply because she was trying to do something nice for me by getting those needed primers.
Gotta be careful talking about what your wife did. I tried to stay away from that by simply saying what I do. I always tell people that I don't know their wife or kids and they didn't do anything to me so I try to leave them alone. You on the other hand I do know so you are open game.

My advice is to pass along some thoughts and advice to your wife for future transactions. Past that do not constantly remind her, as I would, and do not hold it against her in any shape or form. You already know she is more valuable to you than the cash you lost but sometimes it's good to get reminded of what we already know.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Mike, while I haven't a clue as to your location if you are anywhere near the Cleveland, Ohio area and really need primers I can give you some. I am in the SE Cleveland suburbs.

Ron
I have reason to believe he's north of area 51 and Vegas.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Fred:
She did have reservations about doing business with them due to the Zelle payment app. She risked it because the site looked legit to her and they did claim to have the product on hand. I don't hold it against her, she just didn't recognize the other warning signs about their website, other than online firearms related sites she is pretty saavy about online shopping.
I've heard of the scammers working the gun auction sites, this was the first fake firearms retail store site I've seen, so I thought I'd post about it here to give everyone a heads up.
BTW, what caliber is that Super Redhawk in your avatar pic?

Ron:
Thanks for the offer of primers I have a couple thousand on hand for small pistol. I've recently acquired some new bullet molds and have been casting a couple thousand pistol bullets. I've got lots of bullets, powder , and brass on hand as well as loaded ammo. I've just not been shooting in a couple years due to these component shortages. Not wanting to burn up the ammo and components I have on hand. I'll just wait til primers become available again. But the offer was appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had been shopping for small pistol primers and unable to find them available locally most of what I'd seen available online were ridiculously overpriced so I'd decided to wait hoping that the supply would someday normalize and they would become available again. Knowing that I'd been searching for these primers my wife thought that ordering a couple boxes of them for me would make a nice anniversary present.

This is where a company called Barrel Ammo Depot located in Houston TX enters the picture. She found their website doing a random search for primers. Their site has a lot of stock photos of Guns, Ammo, Components and firearm accessories most likely copied from manufacturers websites and the site claimed that they had the primers in stock, price also seemed reasonable so she ordered a couple boxes for me. During the ordering process is where the first serious red flag appeared. The company would not accept credit card payments and only did online bank transfers through a company called Zelle and a couple other online bank transfer sites, Thus removing the buyer protection of a standard credit card transaction. On her first attempt the transaction wouldn't go through so she emailed them. They responded telling her that she needed to make the transaction out to a guy named Dorian S**** and not to Barrel Ammo Depot. I'd call this the second red flag. This order was processed and she was told via email that the order should arrive within a week. she never received a tracking number or notice that the order had been shipped in the days following so she attempted contacting them via email again. They would not respond to her emails, they also do not answer their phone.

She finally informed me of the situation this evening as it has now been weeks since the order was placed and I began looking into it. The address they list on their website appears to be a vacant small warehouse, not a retail location. I checked the domain of their website and all the identifying information for the domain listing has been redacted also the domain has only been registered since 02/21, calls to their phone number go directly to a voicemail with no identification as a business in the voicemail greeting. I also checked with the State of Texas registry of business's and there is no business registered under the name of Barrel Ammo Depot in the state of Texas. Looks like my Wife is out the money due to a scam website. I will be contacting the Texas Attorney Generals office and filing a complaint.
I too ordered a ton of primers from Barrel Ammo Depot. This time, the Zelle account was in the name of "Evonte Williams."

Been a week since the order was placed and dude won't answer my emails when asked about when the primers will ship.

Do you have any updates on your situation? Did you report this to the Texas AG?

·
Registered
14,886 Posts
Just for S&Giggle i placed an order for 15,000 sm pistol primers. I used a completely made up name, address and email. I have no account in zelle and in fact i barely seen where it said anything about billing, i figured it would be the next screen but that said my order has been received. Now i'm wishing i had used my real email to see if they would send a message saying we can't get into your zelle account. I can easily see how this will scam people. Looks totally legit and the billing part is very unclear until your order is placed and then I'm guessing your email is linked to a zelle account and money is almost immediately taken.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,848 Posts
Rule #1: When purchasing items online, only use a credit card. Never anything linked to your bank account.
Rule # 2: See rule #1.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We did report them to the Texas AG. The AG's office said they already had a bunch of reports on them. Since their website is still up and operating it doesn't look like the Texas AG is doing much about them.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thet are absolutely a scam company.
Sent a email informing everyone on forums say they are a scam, and they could prove them wrong by delivering my order. If you do not then you have proved their accusations. Thus I will be contacting Bbb and going on line to give proof of your scams. I guess I hit a nerve and ticked them off as I finally received a reply out of about 15 unanswered.
Reply: Go for what gives you pleasure.
BBC, CNN, and maybe Hendall ops, he is a homicide detector.
barrelammodepot.

My answer to him: So, what you are telling me is you actually are a scam company and I will not be receiving my order, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there guys,

I spoke with the Texas Attorney General's office today and they confirmed there are five cases being worked on regarding Barrel Ammo Depot. I could not get exact information on the progress of the complaints, however. I was advised the AG's office can only investigate if the Harris County District Attorney forwards a criminal complaint to their office. Five complaints is a start, but if there are more out there, then let's turn up the heat.

I was advised by the AG's office to first file a police report with Houston PD (713) 884-3131, which I did this morning. I strongly urge all of us who got screwed over to file their reports with Houston PD so this A-hole can be shut down and held accountable so no one else gets victimized.

The AG's office also recommended filing a cross complaint with the IC3 (FBI) office as well, since the theft involves e-commerce via the internet. The website is www.IC3.gov. I plan on filing the cross complaint as well.

Despite what Zelle says, financial recovery can occur, especially when a criminal indictment is issued.

Best.

·
Registered
14,886 Posts
I would almost guarantee this scammer(s) is in a foreign country and the worst that will happen is his website getting shut down. Which will probably only be temporary until the next one pops up.

Reactions: Speed and fixitfred

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The phone number the scammer lists is actually in a suburb of Houston. Apparently they only do call backs when they receive a voicemail in which their latest victim is having difficulty sending them money. Otherwise they don't answer the phone.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts