National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been shopping for small pistol primers and unable to find them available locally most of what I'd seen available online were ridiculously overpriced so I'd decided to wait hoping that the supply would someday normalize and they would become available again. Knowing that I'd been searching for these primers my wife thought that ordering a couple boxes of them for me would make a nice anniversary present.

This is where a company called Barrel Ammo Depot located in Houston TX enters the picture. She found their website doing a random search for primers. Their site has a lot of stock photos of Guns, Ammo, Components and firearm accessories most likely copied from manufacturers websites and the site claimed that they had the primers in stock, price also seemed reasonable so she ordered a couple boxes for me. During the ordering process is where the first serious red flag appeared. The company would not accept credit card payments and only did online bank transfers through a company called Zelle and a couple other online bank transfer sites, Thus removing the buyer protection of a standard credit card transaction. On her first attempt the transaction wouldn't go through so she emailed them. They responded telling her that she needed to make the transaction out to a guy named Dorian S**** and not to Barrel Ammo Depot. I'd call this the second red flag. This order was processed and she was told via email that the order should arrive within a week. she never received a tracking number or notice that the order had been shipped in the days following so she attempted contacting them via email again. They would not respond to her emails, they also do not answer their phone.

She finally informed me of the situation this evening as it has now been weeks since the order was placed and I began looking into it. The address they list on their website appears to be a vacant small warehouse, not a retail location. I checked the domain of their website and all the identifying information for the domain listing has been redacted also the domain has only been registered since 02/21, calls to their phone number go directly to a voicemail with no identification as a business in the voicemail greeting. I also checked with the State of Texas registry of business's and there is no business registered under the name of Barrel Ammo Depot in the state of Texas. Looks like my Wife is out the money due to a scam website. I will be contacting the Texas Attorney Generals office and filing a complaint.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,304 Posts
Very sorry to read that this happened. Hopefully somehow you can recover the money.
Thanks for the head up!

·
Super Moderator
12,621 Posts
Make sure you guys keep an eye on the bank account you used. Or close it and open another one.

--Wag--

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 3rd party payment sites they use are legit and the seller doesn't get any info regarding the customer bank account from them. Unfortunately these type of payment sites like the old Western Union money transfers have become preferred by scammers as there is no way of recovering your money from them. I strongly suspect that the account name Dorian Singleton she was given to send the money to was also a fake name set up on the Zelle account.

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
I belong to several FB coin groups and many of them buy/sell/trade. All of them use these types of accounts to send and receive money for sales. The only two i can think of off the top of my head are Zelle and PayPal but there are at least two others they use. I'm pretty sure they have mentioned there is some sort of buyer protection on these sites, have you looked into that? The only one i have ever used is PayPal so my experience with them is zero.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have her check with Zelle to see if the money can be refunded. I can understand individuals using sites like Paypal or Zelle. However this Barrel Ammo Depot site was set up as an online retail store. A retail store that doesn't accept CC transactions is a major red flag.

·
Aim true !
11,954 Posts
There has been more questionable sites that have popped up lately. Hope you get all resolved Mike. I like using paypal too. I set up a bank account just for using with paypal and other online transactions. I put money in it as needed.

·
Premium Member
7,523 Posts
Contact the consumers fraud department and give them the info you have. They answered a email so you can use a different email and get a response. Bait them with the promise of a big purchase into giving up more information. There are pros in the govt who live for this stuff.

·
Super Moderator
14,861 Posts
Try to order something else from them and see if you can get any more information from them.

Alan

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I doubt that would produce any additional info Alan. They go to extremes to mask their identity, their online store is fake, with all identifying domain info redacted. Fake street address, phone number most likely goes to a burner phone. I suspect that even this Dorian Singleton name who is connected with their Zelle account is fake. Since they are operating a fake gunstore. I suspect that the state attorney general would be interested in them.

·
Super Moderator
14,861 Posts
I doubt that would produce any additional info Alan. They go to extremes to mask their identity, their online store is fake, with all identifying domain info redacted. Fake street address, phone number most likely goes to a burner phone. I suspect that even this Dorian Singleton name who is connected with their Zelle account is fake. Since they are operating a fake gunstore. I suspect that the state attorney general would be interested in them.
This is true.

Alan

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
A retail store that doesn't accept CC transactions is a major red flag.
True if they are selling online but i actually know of a few small stores that do not take them and at least one that has cash prices and adds a few percent for card use and uses it very reluctantly. One of the small stores i go to is a gun shop and have almost begged them to do CC payments as there has been a couple of times I've gone there to pick up something and see something else but don't have enough cash.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I remember a few retailers who wouldn't take credit cards or checks too. These days the average individual doesn't carry around large amounts of cash. Merchants not accepting credit cards end up losing a lot of business. If a business doesn't accept credit cards most potential customers will simply buy elsewhere rather than make a trip to the bank to withdraw cash. Those credit card fees are usually offset by gained volume of sales.
Anyway back to topic. Because of the large number of online scammers these days I won't do an online bank transfer or service such as Paypal or Zelle unless I know the person or company I'm doing business with. If I see a business that only accepts those methods of payment I pass on them and shop elsewhere.

My wife got burned on this deal simply because she was trying to do something nice for me by getting those needed primers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
that 1% or 2% reward you get for using your credit card is paid for by the retailer. I like stores that will give a discount for cash but very few do these days. My LGS only accepts cards for purchases under $50.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I use my credit card for most online purchases. I use paypal on occasion for the others. If they want check or cash or any other methods I pass. Even if their prices are great and in fact that's how they get you by luring you in with low prices and availability listed. Both of those payment methods have some protections from bad merchants. I never use my debit card, zelle, cash or other cash equivalents. Hackers never rest and keep coming up with ways to get your money. If you do use Zelle or cash app create a separate account with limited funds. If they do breach security the most you lose is what is in those accounts.

I use my cash back credit card(s) for everything. It's 2021 and merchants know they lose sales and customers if they don't do plastic. Some small mom and pop shops will have minimums of a few bucks. I bought a red bull a while back and the sign said $3 minimum I was short by around 50¢ and thought about asking if it was okay but just went ahead and gave him cash. If you use zelle or a debit card your money is gone, YOUR MONEY. You have to fight to get it back and it may be gone forever. When you use a real credit card it's someone else's money. If the service or goods are not provided you can do a charge back and lose nothing. Except maybe 50 bucks.

·
Aim true !
11,954 Posts
I bought some o rings at the local mom and pop parts store. I didn't have cash on me. I gave him my card. He said just pay me later when you have cash.

Reactions: fixitfred

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I bought some o rings at the local mom and pop parts store. I didn't have cash on me. I gave him my card. He said just pay me later when you have cash.
That's the kind of merchants I try to support. Even id they cost a little bit more than the giants like Amazon. They are disappearing one by one sometimes two by two. I'm chewing on some pineapple gummy's I bought at a small mom and pop Asian store. I buy premixed instant coffee I like to drink on weekends too. Surprisingly the coffee is cheaper than a big farmers market store.

If I see something I buy a lot and it's cheaper elsewhere I talk to the owner and let them know I can buy it cheaper. I give them the chance to get close in price so I can buy from them instead of from megamart. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. B&M mom and pop stores have rent and other overhead to pay and I understand that. What they do is spend money in the community. Amazon gives their money to Bezos and Walmart sends it to Bentoneville.

Reactions: Wag and Coalcracker

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have a local gun store I frequent on a regular basis. He does take credit cards but when I see a gun I like I just ask the owner and friend for an out the door cash price. If I have a hundred in my pocket I may put it down but matters not. The owner knows I'll be back in a day or two and get the gun. During the early and mid 90s my wife and I owned a small brick and mortar gun shop. There was the credit card price and the cash price much as some gas stations do. Always keep a cash stash in the gun safe for when a good deal comes along.

Ron

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Huge difference between doing direct cash business with a brick and mortar store where you actually know the owners and sending cash to an online scam site via a 3rd party banking app. Had I been the one who saw their website first I would have been suspicious and not done business with them. A number of things made me suspicious right off the bat, for starters they claimed that all the nearly impossible to find reloading components were in stock, such as all brands and types of primers, and at low prices. My wife is not accustomed to shopping online firearms related sites and didn't see the red flags.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Since it is interstate commerce, I would email the feds too. Postmaster general, attorney General, maybe even the ATF. For kicks I may copy Dorian as well, maybe he won't sleep well thinking the feds are looking into him.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts