National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been owning and shooting .22 rimfire guns since I was 10 years old, when I received my very first rifle. It's a Winchester Model 67A single shot that now sports a scope so the owner can see what's going on during shooting time:

I just received a Savage Mark II BV in .22 Long Rifle, mainly because of all the good reviews that I've read from owners concerning these guns:

I installed a picatinny rail to use instead of the two piece factory provided bases for the Mueller optic:

Now, for some various brands of .22 rimfire ammunition testing on my range out back.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
The 69A is a well known tack driver. That Savage should be almost as good. I like the brown laminated stock. I have an older one with a gray laminated stock and it’s gorgeous as well as accurate. Mine is a heavy barrel with optic only. I have a 4X on it but it’s so good I’ve thought about putting a 3-9 on it. I don’t know why the don’t make all of these rifles with the ten round mag.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 69A is a well known tack driver. That Savage should be almost as good. I like the brown laminated stock. I have an older one with a gray laminated stock and it’s gorgeous as well as accurate. Mine is a heavy barrel with optic only. I have a 4X on it but it’s so good I’ve thought about putting a 3-9 on it. I don’t know why the don’t make all of these rifles with the ten round mag.
I've had several customers, and fellow gun-club members, tell me about their .22 rimfire rifles being "tack-drivers". Thought I'd provide a target with orange dots the exact same diameter as the head of a thumb tack:

So, we set up a portable target stand at 30 yards and shot at these targets from a bench using a front rest and rear sand bag:

The bottom five orange dots are "sighters" for scope adjustment, and barrel conditioning rounds. The end results were extremely interesting. :cry:

·
Live Free
2,801 Posts
I do something similar using 1” dots at 100 yards with my CZ 455. I have yet to achieve results I can really brag about... I consider it to be a hit if the bullet hole is within the dot, an edge hit is not.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good! Post your target after you're done. Double click on the target picture to save it to your file and then just print it out. Hope to see your results.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do something similar using 1” dots at 100 yards with my CZ 455. I have yet to achieve results I can really brag about... I consider it to be a hit if the bullet hole is within the dot, an edge hit is not.
I recently picked up a brick of SK .22 Long Rifle "Long Range" ammunition that states it's good for 100 yards and beyond:

Haven't shot any of this stuff as yet, but hope to very, very soon.

·
Live Free
2,801 Posts
I recently picked up a brick of SK .22 Long Rifle "Long Range" ammunition that states it's good for 100 yards and beyond:

Haven't shot any of this stuff as yet, but hope to very, very soon.
I want to try that too, but I have not seen it here. I haven’t been into Sioux Falls much recently to check either. It would be great to hear a range report when you try it.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
At $50 a brick, plus shipping, it’s a bit pricey for rim fires. I just went on ammoseek and found some other brand HV plated .22 with flat $14.95 shipping for $23.90 a brick plus shipping. At twice the price they would have to be some stellar rimfires.

·
Live Free
2,801 Posts
At $50 a brick, plus shipping, it’s a bit pricey for rim fires. I just went on ammoseek and found some other brand HV plated .22 with flat $14.95 shipping for $23.90 a brick plus shipping. At twice the price they would have to be some stellar rimfires.
Yeah, I know they are a bit pricey, but when I run pricey ammo through the CZ it really shines all the more. I am a sucker, what can I say?

·
Aim true !
10,040 Posts
My savage target rifle needs a spin,

Reactions: flphotog

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I know they are a bit pricey, but when I run pricey ammo through the CZ it really shines all the more. I am a sucker, what can I say?
I don't think the price was all that bad, even with shipping. Eley Tenex is about the BEST match ammunition you can still find and it runs around $210.00 for a brick. I'll bet that CZ 455 will shoot those with "bug-hole" groups.
I have a CZ 455 FS and a CZ LUX that I want to try some of those Eley Tenex with:

·
Live Free
2,801 Posts
A little pricey, yes. Bad? Absolutely not! Having just relocated, I will be looking around locally here...I will try it soon! Been a couple of months since I shot anything because of our cross country move, but we are getting settled and I am itching to shoot...soon!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A little pricey, yes. Bad? Absolutely not! Having just relocated, I will be looking around locally here...I will try it soon! Been a couple of months since I shot anything because of our cross country move, but we are getting settled and I am itching to shoot...soon!
If you can find any of the Norma TAC-22 ammunirion, snatch some of that ammunition up. It shoots fantastic in my CZ 455 FS, and the following groups are from three different lot numbers from three separate bricks:

When I set a permanent stand up out back I didn't pay attention and my Bushnell range finder was set on meters rather than yards, so I'm stuck with that distance until I pull up the stakes.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Geeez, when you factor in the shipping with the $23.90 cost for a brick, the total cost is around 0.0777 cents per round. Would be a very good deal if the shipping was free.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Very nice shooting. I’m having printer problems so I can’t do the tack driver test board yet. I may have some match ammo fir that test but I have lots of plinking ammo. Hit the range today fir some long range .22 fun. 140 yards at a golf ball size steel spinner. It’s a challenge with plinker grade ammo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts