National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm new to this forum, and hoping some of you may be able to help me on a recent purchase I am about to make. I recently picked up a 1943 Mosin Nagant, that has spurred my interested in WWII rifles and collecting them. Next on my list to get is a Lee-Enfield No 4 MK I or MK I*.

I have come across a pretty nice one at a local shop, and was curious if you could all help me assess its proper worth. It is a Savage made, lend-lease Enfield rifle with the serial numbers 68C1040, putting it somewhere towards the end of 1943 I believe. The bore looks good/great (which is good, cause shooting is something I intend to do), and the wood looks used but has no cracks or major dings. The "back" top piece (closest to the metal) moves around a very small amount, kinda like a "giggle". That same piece also has the 4-5 carved markings in it that I presume are on some Enfields for better gripping purposes. It has one of the flip-up sites (micro-meter site or something?) that allows you to change it for different distances, and all the metal has no pitting or rust on it. I do not know if the bolt matches, but I would have to say probably not.

Overall, it looks to be a pretty good rifle though it has some bronze colored substance around the area where the wood and the metal meet by the hand-guard. It is not rust, but the metal is usually an off silver, so if anyone could assist me in what substance this is I would appreciate it. I am guessing some sort of sealing material to keep water out of the line between the wood and the metal.

The store is asking $400 for it, it comes with a pretty bad quality leather sling, as well as an original Enfield Magazine that I know for a fact does not match serials. Please give me your input on if this is worth it, thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I trust a website that doesn't give me pictures of the gun itself? Do you think they would send me pictures of the "hand-select" grade that they offer? Thanks for the link, it does look like a great deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts