National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a savage axis 30-06. I use it for hunting, and i have no problem taking out a pronghorn up to 300 yards away. However, i would like to be able to shoot longer distances. I would under no circumstances shoot an animal any further than 400 yards, but i would like to be able to hit targets up to 600 yards and maybe even further some day. I am unsure if my $300 axis is capable of that range accurately, or if i should upgrade to a remington 700 sps in order to hit those far away targets. I understand that optics are an important part of distance shooting, so i will also save up to eventually buy a better scope. Currently, i use a $150 scope which works fine for my 300 yard shots, but i will eventually buy a quality scope. I also understand that the 700 will cost a couple hundred dollars more than the axis, and i am fine with that. I would appreciate opinions of whether my axis is fine, or if i should upgrade, and other rifle suggestions if you think there is a better option.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Savage rifles are typically quite accurate. You might have to work up a handload, but I would recommend that anyway. No need to buy another rifle just to reach another hundred yards.

On the other hand, that gives you an excuse to buy another rifle. *S*

·
Banned
632 Posts
a 30-06 is the same regardless of which rifle it's fired from. Like CMonster sez, handloads. If you don't reload, buy from someone who does. A good scope is a must, but too much scope will hold you back. A 32X scope is great shooting long distances from the bench, but unless you can stand as still as a statue it's lousy for hunting where you shoot off-hand; too hard to keep it still. Just my .02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. Ill stick with the axis for now, but I've still got my eye on the 700. If i see a cheap one,i might snag it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
For political reasons, I cannot consider a Remington until they relocate out of New York.
i agree and as much as i love Beretta the same goes for them,as long as they are supporting these gun hating states i will not give them a dime of my money.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
a 30-06 is the same regardless of which rifle it's fired from. Like CMonster sez, handloads. If you don't reload, buy from someone who does. A good scope is a must, but too much scope will hold you back. A 32X scope is great shooting long distances from the bench, but unless you can stand as still as a statue it's lousy for hunting where you shoot off-hand; too hard to keep it still. Just my .02
True this!
It never hurts to add another rifle to the collection.
This too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts