National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folk,
I just bought a Savage 10 GRS in 6.5 Creedmoor and contacted Savage Arms to ask them their recommended barrel break in procedure. Check out what they suggested. Seems an over the top procedure. What are others thought?

Although there may be different schools of thought on barrel break-in, this is what Precision Shooting Magazine recommends:
STEP 1 (repeated 10 times)
  • Fire one round
  • Push wet patches soaked with a powder solvent through the bore
  • Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
  • Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
  • Push wet patches soaked with a copper solvent through the bore
  • Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
  • Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
  • Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore
STEP 2 (repeated 5 times)
  • Fire a 3 shot group
  • Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1 after each group
STEP 3 (repeat 5 times)
  • Fire a 5 shot group
  • Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1
They recommend the use of a patch with 2 drops of oil after the cleaning so that you are not shooting with a dry bore. It is also advisable to use a powder solvent and copper solvent from the same manufacturer to be sure they are chemically compatible.

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Wow never heard of doing all that. I gave a savage 223 and some 22lr. My son has a .243. We never did any of that. A quick patch and bore brush every 100 rounds and a light oil patch is it. There all running great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow never heard of doing all that. I gave a savage 223 and some 22lr. My son has a .243. We never did any of that. A quick patch and bore brush every 100 rounds and a light oil patch is it. There all running great.
Yeah right hey. it’s bizarre, its almost like they have shares in gun cleaning products 😂😂😂

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I always do a shoot and clean on new barrels until they stop coppering up...and I confirm this with a bore scope. That usually takes less than 15 shots, that said I deal with after market barrels which typically will take less effort than factory barrel.

Carbon cleaners and copper cleaners are two different things and do two different jobs. There is no wonder solvent that gets everything.

Here is a 12min video that explains the reasoning behind barrel break in.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I always do a shoot and clean on new barrels until they stop coppering up...and I confirm this with a bore scope. That usually takes less than 15 shots, that said I deal with after market barrels which typically will take less effort than factory barrel.

Carbon cleaners and copper cleaners are two different things and do two different jobs. There is no wonder solvent that gets everything.

Here is a 12min video that explains the reasoning behind barrel break in.

I thought you shoot a barrel and get copper fouling. Then it doesn't foul much after. Isn't that why they came up with Hoppes #9 the do-it-all solvent. The first 8 didn't work too well.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
You asked and the manufacturer gave you their recommendation. There you go. Nuff said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts