National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeffrey Rodack
24 September 2019

Residents in a San Francisco neighborhood have lined a sidewalk with boulders in an effort to stop homeless people from camping out, KTVU-TV is reporting.

About 24 boulders line a half-block of sidewalk on Clinton Park, a residential side street not far from Market and Dolores streets. Neighbors are trying to keep drug users from shooting up in their street.

"They'll shoot up and stay overnight," said David Smith-Tan, a resident.

He said neighbors chipped in a few hundred dollars and came up with the boulders.

“It has helped,” neighbor Ernesto Jerez told the television station.

Jennifer Friedenbach, executive director of the Coalition On Homeless, noted: "There's actually a name for it. It's called anti-homeless architecture."

Similar measures have been put in place in other sections of the city.

"It's something,” Jerez said. “We've got to do something. I feel like there is nothing being done.”

Meanwhile the city’s public works department said the it had nothing to do with the boulders. And a spokeswoman said since the boulders are not blocking the sidewalk, the city is not planning to remove them.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/san-francisco-homeless-boulders-camps/2019/09/24/id/934076/

· Registered
22,073 Posts
I recall Vagrancy and Loitering Laws being enforced in the 1950's to keep the "hobo's" from becoming nuisances in and around Salt Lake City and later Portland, Oregon. Most were rail-riders who overnighted or rested a bit in the "hobo-jungles" in fields and woods near the railroad yards. Many of these guys were "at loose ends" WWII and Korean War veterans who really never could "mix" all that well into society and didn't have homes or families to retuirn to or were just not welcomed back, I suppose.

Different people, those "hobo's" and today's addicted and mentally-ill homeless. But enforcement of the local laws and ordinances prevented "the bums" from "settling-in or homesteading" in public places.

· Registered
17,533 Posts
So won't the homeless just now tie their tarps to the boulders and now have solid walls? Sort of like when we were kids and used furniture and blankets to build "forts" in our parents living rooms. probably won't matter anyway, i can see the city setting up needle distribution booths in this neighborhood to combat these vile, racist, homophobic, misogynist (and any other mean adjective you can think of) residents.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,030 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.