National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought all 30 of these at a yard sale as they were different and I thought the price was right. I've seen lots of shot shells for different calibers in revolvers but nothing like this. The chamber in my Bikal single shot .410 shotgun is 3" but I hesitate shooting them as they fit loosely and I want to keep my head on my shoulder and I love the shotgun. The head-stamp appears modern but the capsules look much older evidently from age and/or storage. Can anyone give me guidance as to what these shotshells were designed to be fired in and secondly, since my shotgun has a 3" chamber could they SAFELY be fired in my shotgun even though loose fitting? Thank you for your input and if I can be emailed at [email protected] I tried a second picture but it wouldn't upload. the headstamp is R-P .44 Rem Mag. I'm not showing any picture on my post. The cartridge with the capsule measures 2-1/4" in length.

·
Aim true !
10,356 Posts
Are you trying to load 44 mag into a 410 shotgun?

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
No. Those are revolver shotshells which are either store bought or home made. Most of the ones i see are made by blazer/cci, don't recall any from remington but either way they do not belong in a .410 shotgun.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
What you have is a 44 mag shot shell. They were designed to shoot rattlers using a 44 mag pistol. I have read that some cowboy action folks have used them in Marlins (444 and 410). After seeing a 50 cal shot out of a 410 anything is possible but I wouldn't.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cylinder chamber

What you have is a 44 mag shot shell. They were designed to shoot rattlers using a 44 mag pistol. I have read that some cowboy action folks have used them in Marlins (444 and 410). After seeing a 50 cal shot out of a 410 anything is possible but I wouldn't.
As I mentioned, the length of the cartridge is 2-1/4" long. I'm familiar with the modern (and standard) 44 mag. shot shell but these 30 I bought won't even come close to letting the cylinder lockup due to the huge overhang of the cartridge capsule.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are not home made but commercial. I think these are quite old but in excellent condition. I found pictures of these on the web but no information other than they were referred to as .44XL I agree, not worth taking a chance. Perhaps a special gun was designed just for these.

·
AZHerper
3,754 Posts
These are not home made but commercial. I think these are quite old but in excellent condition. I found pictures of these on the web but no information other than they were referred to as .44XL I agree, not worth taking a chance. Perhaps a special gun was designed just for these.
Now your talking correctly. Congrats

·
Aim true !
10,356 Posts
Ok yes can't use 44 in 410. 45 colt cases will fit. But don't shoot 45 colt in a shotgun.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Did a little looking. 44XL are vintage 44-40 shot shell cartridges. You state they say 44 mag which was made long after these. I'm still thinking they might be home made.

I came up with a ton of images and the 44xl all pretty much look like these.

44xl.jpg

Either way 44mag is too small for .410. .410 is the same diameter of a 45 colt.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Just to be clear too. You can't shoot 45 colt in a .410 shotgun. You can however shoot .410 in some model 45 colt revolver and rifles. Shotgun barrels are not designed for the pressures of rifle or pistol ammo.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Sometimes you just need to let nature take its course.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts