National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,903 Posts
I read/heard something the other day. Ammo manufacturers are raising prices not only because of demand but also to quell the market. Theory is if ammo prices become too high people will curtail their buying and the market will rebound a bit and prices will drop.

Personally I have not purchased a single cartridge throughout this craziness.

·
Léitheoir
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read/heard something the other day. Ammo manufacturers are raising prices not only because of demand but also to quell the market. Theory is if ammo prices become too high people will curtail their buying and the market will rebound a bit and prices will drop.

Personally I have not purchased a single cartridge throughout this craziness.
I continue to do what I’ve always done, purchase a box or two every paycheck. I only own 3 different calibers so I rotate through each.

I’ve not fired a single round in over a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
If you're not shooting then my advice would be not not buy. The more people keep paying these prices the higher the prices will go and the longer this will last,

I haven't been shooting that much but it's normal this time of year because of the snow and cold at the range. I did fire 20 rounds yesterday to sight in a new rifle and next weekend looks like it might be decent to get out. As soon as the weather is good i'm going blasting!

·
AZHerper
4,126 Posts
I continue to do what I’ve always done, purchase a box or two every paycheck. I only own 3 different calibers so I rotate through each.

I’ve not fired a single round in over a year.

Spooky said " I’ve not fired a single round in over a year.". If that's true, get the message! Stop buying!

·
Léitheoir
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spooky said " I’ve not fired a single round in over a year.". If that's true, get the message! Stop buying!
Well, my habits haven’t changed that much. That said I’m going to continue buying a box or two here or there.

I have friends without children with the funds to properly stockpile. Guy I know is buying 5.56 a couple thousand at a time. While next week I’ll be buying 40 rounds.

·
Registered
Pistoleer
103 Posts
I am investing in melee weapons at the moment as I have almost none of those. I will revisit guns and ammo later as I am reasonably stocked on those but I can't practice or have fun as much as I would like with my firearms so it's just about all on standby for self-defense now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a 1911 fan but the ammo crunch has put a damper.

I refuse to pay gouged prices for ammo of any caliber.

But hey, what are these boxes of .38 Super doing here on the retail store shelves at their old prices?

Who needs an excuse to acquire another 1911? Especially if it's a .38 Super?

I'm also seeing. 32acp and .25acp on the shelves occasionally. Yesterday my local Walmart had thousand round bricks of .22lr

Good luck in your ammo searching.

·
Léitheoir
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

But hey, what are these boxes of .38 Super doing here on the retail store shelves at their old prices?

I'm also seeing. 32acp and .25acp on the shelves occasionally. Yesterday my local Walmart had thousand round bricks of .22lr

At one store the only pistol ammo available was .454 Casull.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,181 Posts
I suspect this non-sense will last at least four years, if not eight ........... for obvious reasons.

·
Aim true !
11,361 Posts
Dang not fired a round in a year. I shot 100 rounds today through my Ruger SBH. And the same in my single six. No wind today. Suns out. Temp in the 30's. Great day for plinking. Shot some stout rounds in the 44 i loaded. 240 grain SWC behind 14 grains of Blue dot. I like em lol.

Reactions: Spooky

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
This is why I'm adding more bullet molds rather than buying store bought bullets. I'm not shooting much these days either.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I have a lot of calibers so I don’t have to pay gouging prices. I can shoot what is available at reasonable prices. It really doesn’t matter to me what gun I use as long as I can shoot one or two of them. I’ve travelled over 2,000 miles total in the past few weeks to find the honest shops. Those shops will continue to get my business moving forward.

There is a moderate increase across the board but make no mistake, the major ammo manufacturers aren’t raising prices enough to reflect 100%-400% increases. That’s a combination of the distributor and the retailer doing that. The price increase from the manufacturers is only about 15%. You can see the real evidence of it in big box stores where they have a bit more leverage on the distributor than the mom & pops do. When Bass Pro can put out ammo at only a marginal increase, it’s not the manufacturer. If your buying defensive rounds, those have been $1-$1.50/rd for years. You can’t really equate normal ball ammo pre-rona prices to what defensive rds cost today. It’s apples and oranges. Not every big box store is being honest either. Some are still capitalizing on the shortage of certain rounds. When Rural King can put 40rd boxes of Tula on the shelf at 9.99/box and Scheels is double that, that’s likely the retailer.

Primers are really the only thing I can’t really circumvent the price gouging. I can set my limits but I’m going to be paying a lot regardless. 100% increase there is pretty much across the board.

·
Léitheoir
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a lot of calibers so I don’t have to pay gouging prices. I can shoot what is available at reasonable prices. It really doesn’t matter to me what gun I use as long as I can shoot one or two of them. I’ve travelled over 2,000 miles total in the past few weeks to find the honest shops. Those shops will continue to get my business moving forward.

There is a moderate increase across the board but make no mistake, the major ammo manufacturers aren’t raising prices enough to reflect 100%-400% increases. That’s a combination of the distributor and the retailer doing that. The price increase from the manufacturers is only about 15%. You can see the real evidence of it in big box stores where they have a bit more leverage on the distributor than the mom & pops do. When Bass Pro can put out ammo at only a marginal increase, it’s not the manufacturer. If your buying defensive rounds, those have been $1-$1.50/rd for years. You can’t really equate normal ball ammo pre-rona prices to what defensive rds cost today. It’s apples and oranges. Not every big box store is being honest either. Some are still capitalizing on the shortage of certain rounds. When Rural King can put 40rd boxes of Tula on the shelf at 9.99/box and Scheels is double that, that’s likely the retailer.

Primers are really the only thing I can’t really circumvent the price gouging. I can set my limits but I’m going to be paying a lot regardless. 100% increase there is pretty much across the board.
The Scheels in my city has not one single round of 12 gauge, 5.56/.223, or 9mm. And quite frankly the place looks looted.

It is insane to me that a store can sell you a gun, but has no ammo for most of their stock.

The AR section always has a crowd. You can get some Smith and Wesson M&Ps for $899.00, or one of maybe 3 SCARs for $3,999.99.

Walmart is no better. 2 of 4 sell guns and ammo, also bare. (Ironically .22 seems to be in stock, along with 28 gauge. ). I’m mad at myself for not buying out as much as I could when they clearanced off all their pistol ammo. I had only bought enough Ball to complete the Nebraska CHP class. (The remainder of which I gave to my father in law for his class. )

I miss my younger days in South Dakota where Ammo and Hunting were both cheap.

·
Aim true !
11,361 Posts
After this shortage is over. Stock deep. Then the next one that comes along. You can enjoy shooting. And laugh at those who did not learn.

Reactions: Popeye and Spooky

·
AZHerper
4,126 Posts

Very simple! it's just the old idea of supply and demand. The demand for .38 Super is clearly very low so, the prices stay low.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’m still able to keep proficient with my self defense pistol. Haven’t bought much factory ammunition-purchased some Wolf 7.62x39 last week. Probably the only factory ammunition I’ve bought in at least a year. All of my 9x19 ammunition is reloads.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts