National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Barney
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to retired day at the police range. One of the instructors had a S&W key. She checked the lock on my snubbie and told me that sometimes people don't turn it completely to the stop. She said if you don't get it completely turned it can engage while you are shooting it. I said that I had heard of the S&W locks engaging while shooting and that was an issue. She said just to make sure it was completely disengaged and I wouldn't have a problem. Interesting.

·
Aim true !
10,297 Posts
I would eliminate the lock.

Reactions: Mad Scientist

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,302 Posts

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
the lock has caused a lot of debate.......real or imagined.......

i avoid the smith guns with a lock......right or wrong.....myth or truth.....ignorance or wisdom......i just don't like the concept.....

pure prejudice on my part that colors my decision making. i simply do not trust them and no amount of data, testimonials, or praises will change that.

i have purchased a couple of smiths with the locks but traded them off. they never gave a problem.....but i just did not have confidence in them and it was a nagging mark in the back of my mind against them that just kept bugging me.

a gun is worthless if you have doubts.......even meaningless or groundless doubts...the seed has been planted.

my ruger lcr's also have locks......there has been no drama, they are out of sight---out of mind which has probably contributated greatly to the lack of debate. The smith version is "in your face" in design and implementation.....which puts it out there as a constant reminder that it is there......therefore more mindful of its purpose....or problems....

Reactions: fixitfred

·
Barney
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not going to sit here and defend the S&W lock and I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to in the first place. I mean, if someone doesn't like them it is nothing to me. I got along fine without one for most of my life, but I have no problem with the lock. In five years I've never even used it. It isn't a deal breaker for me. I have full confidence in the gun. The thing I liked about the gun is the firing pin isn't on the hammer. I just thought it was interesting what she said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts