National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the wife finally decided on a revolver I can get her to keep in her car. Safety is a big concern for her. We have 2 children and the key lock option caught her eye. I told her she would just have to get in the habit of unlocking it every time she get's in her car, so it's ready if she needs it...and then locking it back after she gets home. Anyone on here have one of these? How do you like it?

· Registered
886 Posts
I keep a J frame in my car, but I never have kids in it. Personally, I would never use one of those key locks. The one time she forgets to unlock it, or relock it, will be the time it bites her. Also, even when locked, the kids can still open the cylinder and take the rounds out, which is something kids might do. I would not want a busy mom to try to have the discipline to make sure all is well every single time. Moms have a LOT to think about.

I would go with the lock off all the time and the gun in a small gun safe. It could be a push button or a key lock that is on a quick-detach from her key ring. That way she doesn't have to depend on a habit pattern.

Heck, I can't get my wife to remember to set the alarm on the house all the time when she leaves and she doesn't have kids to worry about anymore!

Then there is the old joke:

"I got a J Frame for my wife."

"Good trade!"

Badumpbump.

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the info...and the joke, haha. The keylock might be something to get her over the hump of having a gun in the car. Our kids know to not touch a gun if the see one laying around, to always treat it as loaded...still they get curious and forgetful. I'll definitely look into other options for storage in the car and see what she wants to do. Thanks again.

· Premium Member
9,928 Posts
I know I wouldn’t give my wife any gun but that’s another story. A snub nose can be really hard to hard a phonebooth from the inside. Personally on her person, I’d lean towards a good stun gun or pepper spray. At home is different. You’d have better ways of secured instant access and easier guns to shoot well.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
the best solution would be to probably keep the revolver on her person so she maintains control at all times.....If that won't fly, then a mini vault is probably best.....

away from the revolver......i know of several folks that love the magazine disconnect feature on some autos and they will leave a gun chambered and remove the magazine and keep the mag in a different place for safety reasons of children. A lot faster i supose to slap a mag into a gun and shoot without having to rack the slide as opposed to manipulate a tiny key in small slot to unlock a gun.

my understanding of the key lock features on most guns is for long term walk away storage......not day to day or hour to hour locking/unlocking.

she could keep the gun in the car and the mag on her person. There are a few mag disconnect guns available like the Ruger sr9, taurus 22 poly, some older smiths, etc.

lock or no lock......with or without mag.......the gun should still not be within access of small children.......the key or the mag disconnect is just another layer of "just in case"..

Reactions: Joker

· Banned
26 Posts
Does your wife ever carry on her person? I agree with the other posters, if its a family car and there are kids in and out of it all the time I would not want my wife keeping or anyone having the firearm anywhere except on their person. No exceptions. The way I see it is honestly, things happen. It could be that one time that she was in a hurry and forgot to lock it or she got distracted by the kids with phone calls coming in now shes overwhelmed and didnt correctly lock it. One of these honest mistakes could be the worst mistake we would ever have to live with because we are only human and these things do happen. I kinda had the same situation with my wife where we have a 5 year old boy and she wanted a firearm but wanted to keep it in her purse or in the car and I basically told her what I was told once by my grandfather that has resonated with me ever since. He said "if your gonna carry a gun then you gotta carry that dang gun. Everywhere you go. Either you do it and own that suna ***** with confidence or you put that thing up. Scared carrying wont do you no good besides accidentally dischargin one in your leg" . Lol so yeah I got her to take some classes/courses on how to properly handle, carry and use a firearm that way she has the confidence to keep it on her person at all times when she takes it out of the safe at home. But obviously if there were no kids it would be a different story but thats my suggestion is to get her in some classes or make it a weekly habbit to try and get some range time with her so she can develope some confidence in carrying because whenever that gun isnt on her shes not in full control. Just my opinions take care bro!

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, she doesn't have a carry permit, so it wouldn't be on her person. I have a permit and it's on my hip before we get in the car if I'm with them. She takes the boys to school before she goes to work and also picks them up when she gets off, so there's times where I'm not with them during the week. My work schedule doesn't allow me to drop them off or pick them up. She did tell me yesterday that she wants to go try some out and see what she likes. There's an indoor shooting range nearby that let's you do that. So now that's the plan and we will see what kind of pistol she wants to get and I'm gonna probably see if she'll get her permit and get her a carry purse.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,019 Posts
Several years ago, my wife bought one. She tried it at the range several times, and realized she hated the recoil. She exchanged it for one of my 1911s. I kept it in the drawer for a few more months, then sold it.

· Banned
26 Posts
No, she doesn't have a carry permit, so it wouldn't be on her person. I have a permit and it's on my hip before we get in the car if I'm with them. She takes the boys to school before she goes to work and also picks them up when she gets off, so there's times where I'm not with them during the week. My work schedule doesn't allow me to drop them off or pick them up. She did tell me yesterday that she wants to go try some out and see what she likes. There's an indoor shooting range nearby that let's you do that. So now that's the plan and we will see what kind of pistol she wants to get and I'm gonna probably see if she'll get h
rer permit and get her a carry purse.
Ahh right I didnt even think about the carry permitt. For some reason I assumed you were in the same state as me not sure why, im in Arizona where a permitt isnt required so I didnt even think about that. Good plan though, a carry purse would be a solid move because that way it will go wherever she goes. Its the part about leaving it in the vehicle and having to lock it and relock it is whats dangerous to me since there is less discipline involved because she wouldnt have to be aware of her possession of the firearm at all time instead only half the time. Which then creates more room for mistakes know what I mean? But yet again these are just my views. Does she have a caliber in mind yet? We started my wife out with 380 acp I believe she got a Ruger lcp. Then we stepped her up to a 38 special revolver and since then revolvers have been her thing, anyways hope everything works out my man

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,019 Posts
Interesting. A J-frame in .38 SPL should have less recoil than a 1911.
The model 642 is S&W's Airweight model. The frame is a light weight alloy, tipping the scales at 14.4 ounces. The recoil is very noticeable.

Reactions: deputy and Popeye

· AZHerper
6,336 Posts
I have a Taurus Model 605SH2 which is a 16-ounce titanium .357/.38 SPL revolver. It's a real bear with .357's but a pussycat with standard load .38 SPL's. Fairly stout with .38 SPL +P's. Just use standard loads for the wife.

· Registered
1,944 Posts
Friend of mine is a gunsmith, he hates S&W's key lock safety feature and has seen too many fail rendering the gun useless. Here removes them from all his guns. If she can't keep the gun on her person it would be better to keep it in a pistol vault inside the car.

Revolvers, especially the J frames aren't beginner guns, they recoil harder and the short sight radius makes them more difficult to shoot accurately. Take her to a range where you can rent pistols and let her try one out along with some semi-autos. She needs a gun that she feels comfortable with, under stress you don't rise to the occasion you default to your level of training. If she's not familiar with the gun don't expect to learn new skills during a gunfight.

· Registered
886 Posts
Interesting. A J-frame in .38 SPL should have less recoil than a 1911.
I have had a steel J for almost 50 years and I also competed with a 1911 on a military team. At the range, I can shoot the 1911 all day long, even with hot rounds. With the J frame, a few cylinders and it's not fun anymore, and I have some nice aftermarket grips on it. I also have an LCR .38, which is lighter than the J, but somehow easier on the hand. But I would still rather shoot the 1911.

It's not just the power of the round, it is the weight of the gun and the full grip. Also, I think the action on an auto reduces perceived recoil. You have sort of a "shock absorber" that you don't have with the revolver. When I used to shoot at the NRA HQ range, they had an instructor who was a grandmotherly type lady who competed in combat shooting with a full size 1911. She claimed in a class that she could teach anyone, even the most petite female, to shoot the 1911 comfortably.

· Registered
886 Posts
Yeah, I will probably try to steer her towards a semi-auto. It was a revolver that she held one day and liked the key option. Shooting one might change her mind.
I think the Shield EZ is worth a look. You can get it with a manual safety for a little more protection for the kids. I rented one at the range and I have to say it is well named. Everything about it is "EZ." It is also soft shooting and accurate.

I'd look into getting her a permit if it is possible. My wife will not carry at all, but I got her to get a permit because I keep a gun in the car and she might be driving my car on her own. I also keep hoping she will see the light.

· Registered
173 Posts
I think the wife finally decided on a revolver I can get her to keep in her car. Safety is a big concern for her. We have 2 children and the key lock option caught her eye. I told her she would just have to get in the habit of unlocking it every time she get's in her car, so it's ready if she needs it...and then locking it back after she gets home. Anyone on here have one of these? How do you like it?
There is another option instead of a lock on a gun:

Lock’er Down Console Safe with 4 Digit Combo, Keep Personal Items Secure and Organized in Car, Compatible With 2013 - 2017 Dodge Ram Pickups with CD Player Amazon.com: Lock’er Down Console Safe with 4 Digit Combo, Keep Personal Items Secure and Organized in Car, Compatible With 2013 - 2017 Dodge Ram Pickups with CD Player: Automotive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.