National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent my S&W mod19-5 for repair to the S&W service department 2 times because the cylinder was not turning properly, but they said it was an obsolete model and they have no parts for this model handgun. They also mentioned the cylinder had blown notches so I decided to take a closer look by myself, and I found out a part in the gun was not functioning as it was supposed to. After solving that, the gun worked normally again. So I am frustrated that even after 2 attempts, the company didn't fix much and I managed to repair the gun by myself.:mad2: ca69f3d8-1b16-420b-9c1f-0b22e925a548.jpg a0287724-7e7d-405e-a894-79c7a8eb03a2.jpg 77c8985c-8c36-4dcb-a28d-e64b86c2e733.jpg 1701965f-c0f9-4137-8c5a-ea171286e9fa.jpg cc248bed-b18a-406f-b909-0986ddfa5cf4.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,317 Posts
Trashing a company on your first post is generally thought to be in bad taste but at least you gave your fix to the problem. That said, you could have posted a fix without bashing S&W. No company in the world will keep parts forever. Just try and get most parts for a 15 year old Corvette from GM. They simply don't make 'em any more.

--Wag--

Reactions: Kobs

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Yeah but S&W is making the model 19 again. Aren't the parts interchangeable? Or is the new model a whole new gun with a great old model number?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, it wasn't about the fact that there were no parts for the guns. I wouldn't mind that except the issue with the gun was with a small part that could've gotten fixed. I love the company but I just wish this got fixed

·
Aim true !
11,835 Posts
My repair experience was less than stellar with them. I think it took 3 months and it still was not fixed. I had trouble with a SD40VE. Not running right with 165 grain ammo. Best service i ever got was from Hi-point. 8 day turn around time. And they went way above what was needed. All that was wrong was it was missing a slide lock spring. They practically rebuilt the gun. And sent a spare mag.

Reactions: deputy

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
The optics of your first post is that you joined NGF for the sole purpose of trashing S&W. Every company in existence has disappointed someone at one time or another. We tend to ignore a complainant with no history or one on a vendetta.

·
Registered
15,080 Posts
I don't know how HiPoint stays in business. You find an old HiPoint in the mud all busted up, they send you a new one. Pretty amazing service for a cheap gun.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,432 Posts
You fixed it yourself. Good.

Also, for the less mechanically inclined, any gunsmith over the age of 40 and who is worth anything will be able to repair S&W 'J', 'K', 'L' and 'N' frame revolvers in their sleep. Using a manufacturer's, non-custom shop, repair services should be a last resort.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
i am guessing that a lot of gun makers......Smith, Ruger, etc, etc will only repair an out of production firearm if the parts are on hand. And am guessing that they will not take the time nor the money to try to in-house make or go out-of house manufacture of obsolete no longer in production parts.....i have been told that the Ruger Six series is now falling into this area from what i have read.....

i have not cracked one open......but i do beleive that today's model .19 is perhaps a little too modern in some parts areas to work in older 19's.....with MIM and "drop in" with little to no smithing the goal of today.

true gunsmiths that do hand-fitting, hot bluing, and making obsolete parts from scratch........ i think they are an endangered species..........

·
55,432 Posts
true gunsmiths that do hand-fitting, hot bluing, and making obsolete parts from scratch........ i think they are an endangered species..........
Maybe not endangered but definitely getting old.

·
55,432 Posts
Hot bluing? Hah!

How many new production firearms are blued anymore? Not many. Its all nitrite coatings or parkerizing. The EPA chemical disposal rules have made hot bluing prohibitively expensive.

Reactions: Jim_s

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,252 Posts
I am a field engineer for a living (glorified maytag repair man) and have often thought of learning gunsmithing so I have something to transition to closer to retirement.
Completely off topic, I know, but the conversation made me think of it.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
i still remember various adds in gun rags and the NRA Hunting magazine decades back about some gunsmithing schools..........and more later on after al gore invented the internet...:lol:

problem is the advertising for such has been around a long time with various correspondence and now internet schools......gun ownership at an all time high.....but the numbers of smiths are still few.....i am guessing startup capital and patience are probably the problems......i have never known any "rich" gunsmiths so its more of a passion or hobby than a career for many perhaps........

Reactions: Wag

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,252 Posts
^^^^ Yes. Exactly my thought of it being a good retirement gig, I don't see it as something you are going to amass wealth from.
More of a keep busy doing something you enjoy type of thing, plus as odd as it may sound...I enjoy dealing with people. It's a pretty good feeling making a customer happy.
One of the best parts of my current job.

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
A manufacturer probably realizes some liability if the "Fix" a firearm. If they cannot replace worn or broken parts with new parts, they likely won't do anything.

Alan

Reactions: Wag

·
Super Moderator
12,317 Posts
Twenty years ago, I wanted to become a gunsmith and machinist. I think I have an aptitude for it but for whatever reason, I decided to cheap out on the education part of it.

Around this area, we see waiting lists for good gunsmiths are as long as a year. Fees seem reasonable, though. I'm thinking that if you could get people to pay an expedite fee, you could attract more business than you knew what to do with. Kinda like now, actually.

--Wag--

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Bashing S&W I did not see it that way, My opinion is it was truthful Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Glock, Taurus, Jennings, Sig Sauer, Steyr are all losing what Hi Point has picked up CUSTOMER SERVICE! Real Warranties and people with the mind set to help the CUSTOMER. All are to busy on making a dollar.I purchased second hand Hi Point 995 (carbine 9mm) I had some issues with gun Hi Point Sent a label and asked I return the gun. Total time out was 6 weeks however Hi Point set the Carbine up, Sling, Owners Manual, Tool, new sights as if I had purchased brand New. Threw in an Extra Tool and a Magazine for MY INCONVENIENCE of getting carbine fixed. 4 years later that Carbine still slinging copper jacketed lead. Unlike the Shield I traded for it Back to S&W Twice at owners expense and still does not feed right.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts