National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have recently bought a Smith and Wesson 686 plus (6 inch) last February; which I havent shot yet having the ranges closed because of the Covid situation and all.

I have noticed that the frame feels a little loose from the grip. Is that I should be worried about or is that normal? Although I wouldn't expect a €1200 S&W to be loose as a factory standard.

As I havent shot it yet and am not sure if there could be safety concerns due to the looseness. Is there anything I can do about it? Do I need to take it to a gunsmith or fix it myself?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
remove the grip and re-install firmly and set the screw.....some mass production grips have a tiny amount of slack....most never notice it till they look for it.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I have a 686, but it's an older one with a square butt and wood grips. Your grips should not be at all "loose". If your screw is not tight, it may have been over-tightened and stripped at the factory.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,179 Posts
Did you purchase your 686 new or used?

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Grip is loose or grip frame is loose? If it’s the grip frame, you need to tighten that up. If it’s the grips themselves, are they wood or rubber Houge grips? If it’s the rubber Houge grips, many have space between the grip frame and the grip itself. This is for the recoil cushion. It will rock front to back slightly. You can tell is that’s the type grip you have because there will be a screw in the bottom of the grip instead of in the side of the grip.

Standard grip (screw in the side of the grip)

Recoil absorbing Houge grips (screw is in the bottom allows it to rock back and forth)

·
Aim true !
11,361 Posts
I always go over all fasteners when i do a cleaning. Now and then something will be loosening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts